Tim Gunn's guide to style *new show*

I saw it last night, and am watching it now. It is kind of reminding me of What not to Wear. I hope there are some differences. And can I just say that Veronica did not age well. She actually looks manly. I just noticed from the first post, it's supposed to be her in the pic posted. :nuts:

watching it now...could NOT agree more all around...but I LOVE love love Tim!!

Really enjoyed the show, love Tim, but did NOT love some of Newbecca's choices. I don't think that's her style zenith. That big green flowery thing with the giant ribbon on it was a hot mess, and that dog walking outfit was probably the least appropriate clothing ever worn to walk a dog.

I don't remember the other dress, but I do remember that she looked very nice in it, so that means it was a success.

I also found myself doing just a smoosh of tooth-grinding about the ninth time that she referred to her problems accepting her "curves."

For those who didn't see the show, the guest star seemed like a very nice girl, carefully and successfully chosen for her abundance of viewer-identifiable averageness, except that she was one of those size zero skeeterbite bosom havin' buttless wonders whose only "curve" consisted of a small waist, but whose body image issues were most poignantly illustrated by her post-Gunning footage of her (un-Gunned) swimwear - longish shorts and a t-shirt! Or maybe it was some kind of Dylan McKay surfing suit. I hope so.

Edit to note that I was frankly shocked that for her ostensibly "classic" white shirt, Tim let her pick a wrap style one with epaulettes! The wrap part I could maybe look past, although I don't know if I would be ready to call it classic, but if Tim is, I would be willing to defer to him on that. But epaulettes! Please!

But they had been shopping for a long time, and maybe he was just tired.

Here are some of my random thoughts:

I saw the show the night before and I can't remember the gals name, but Tim said two things that made me lol. "Make up Kiss" and "I swear I swooned".

He's too cute. I really like him, as always. But I wonder about Veronica's presence. In the other episode I saw, she barely spoke the entire time. It was kind of strange. And, I hope you all get to see the episode (I'm quite certain as bravo reruns everything) but in the last shot, Veronica had on a hat and t-shirt and I'm going to have to look again to see if she had that infamous sparkly glove cuz I swear she doing a Michael Jackson impersonation.

It is a lot like 'what not to wear'....and so far, I don't like this show as much as that one. But, it'll grow on me and as I said earlier, I love T.G.

Well I was looking forward to this & totally missed it. But I'm with you, I just adore Tim Gunn so will find it in reruns, I'm sure.

I saw it last night and I was kind of blah about it. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Tim Gunn. I love his silly little phrases, I love his facial expressions, andd I love the way he speaks. I didn't quite understand why Veronica was there, she wasn't that charismatic. She is pretty, I am in the camp of thinking that she did age well. There was something funky going on with her hari on the left side, but she still looked great.

I think they kind of put Veronica on the show b/c they thought it would be inapporpriate for Tim to be going through women's underwear. LOL. I don't know who would've been more embarrassed, me or Tim Gunn!

All in all, I thought the show had potential, but I wonder what they are going to do when they find someone that doesn't have a small stomach and actually has more "curves."

I also found myself doing just a smoosh of tooth-grinding about the ninth time that she referred to her problems accepting her "curves."

For those who didn't see the show, the guest star seemed like a very nice girl, carefully and successfully chosen for her abundance of viewer-identifiable averageness, except that she was one of those size zero skeeterbite bosom havin' buttless wonders whose only "curve" consisted of a small waist, but whose body image issues were most poignantly illustrated by her post-Gunning footage of her (un-Gunned) swimwear - longish shorts and a t-shirt! Or maybe it was some kind of Dylan McKay surfing suit. I hope so.

But they had been shopping for a long time, and maybe he was just tired.

OMG, the woman was tiny! Curves???? She thought she had a big ass! Everyone kept telling her, including the underwear woman, she had a great figure...great butt in particular and she got all embarrassed. She was just a mess with low self-esteem. It just irks me when there was basically nothing wrong with this girl and she couldn't get it through her head that she had a figure to be envied rather than hide. I really hate mousey people who ugly themselves up. This woman was cute at the end of it all. I guess its the first time she ever looked in the mirror.

^^^I agree completely. And, of course I don't know her and the purpose of the show isn't to bag on the participants...but...("wanna talk bout it...goes sumpin like dis..."...what show is that from?)

Rebecca seemed so ungenuine to me. Like, she enjoyed the attention she received from playing the part of 'poor ugly curvy (?wha?) me'. I felt she played up the insecure part too much.

"wha? Me? giggle, giggle. "naughty me...dope...did I say that"...

It was a pretty big turn off.

I even went "oh boy" when she grabbed the one dress saying, "that's something jessica alba would wear, right? So I definitely want that". Again, not because it fit HER but because she thought someone else would wear it.

I did absolutely love that catharine m dress on her though. Shimma, I think that's the one you didn't care for?

Couldn't agree more with all of you! Love Tim Gunn--there's something about him that I would trust no matter what. But really, Veronika didn't add much at all. Surely there are more extroverted models out there who could "assist".

I liked Rebecca's attitude--very down to earth and humble. But honestly, to complain about her figure???? I hope they get a woman on there with a shape that is really hard to dress (like me!).

Actually, next week they are having a woman who lost over 100 lbs and she can't find clothes to fit her new body. That should be good.

^^^I agree completely. And, of course I don't know her and the purpose of the show isn't to bag on the participants...but...("wanna talk bout it...goes sumpin like dis..."...what show is that from?)

If it's from In Living Color...actually, it goes something like this... "Wrote a song about, wanna hear it? Here we go... ayyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" :roflmfao:

Tim needs to drop Veronica Webb fast...she is completely wrong for the show and truly not likable at all. Tim, of course, is a dream. He definitely upgraded the victim's look and there were some genuinely touching moments but Webb kind of ruined it for me.

I adore Tim Gunn, totally admire his vocabulary and the way he speaks. can't belive I missed the show!! hafta get the podcast and catch the repeat. PR season 4 is coming soon too, yay!!

..I did absolutely love that catharine m dress on her though. Shimma, I think that's the one you didn't care for?
I hated it, I thought it looked like a bad beach house shower curtain and the bow reminded me of the ones people put on gift cars, except usually those are red, and this one was green.

But to be fair, I am just not a fan of huge prints like that. Or huge bows, so the dress didn't stand a chance with me from the beginning :biggrin: