Tiffany's paper flower collection

View attachment 4255548 My hubby just surprised me with the Yellow Diamond Firefly Pendant for my birthday and it is stunning! The yellow diamond is gorgeous. My pic does not do it justice. I love Tiffany because I can get pieces that aren’t bold and in your face for pretty much all of their collections.

Wow!! I asked to see this at so many story and was told that not very many were made. One girl even told me that they only made one and the rest were made to order. I’m so happy for you!!

Wow!! I asked to see this at so many story and was told that not very many were made. One girl even told me that they only made one and the rest were made to order. I’m so happy for you!!
Thank you! My understanding is that there were only two in Canada and my hubby happened to see one in our store when he went in to shop for a gift for me.

Reactions: frenchyo8
View attachment 4255548 My hubby just surprised me with the Yellow Diamond Firefly Pendant for my birthday and it is stunning! The yellow diamond is gorgeous. My pic does not do it justice. I love Tiffany because I can get pieces that aren’t bold and in your face for pretty much all of their collections.
I know this is an older post but which size firefly is this? I am intrigued by them but it’s hard to find a size comparison and the online pics aren’t helpful (things at Tiffany’s tend to be smaller in person IMO)

Hi! On the contrary, my opinion is the Paper Flowers is a cheaper version of the iconic Van Cleef & Arpels Frivole collection. If you like flowers, the Frivole collection is to die for. Browse those pieces and you will think Paper Flowers is a bargain.

I personally do not like Paper Flowers for the reason I stated, it looks like a copycat of the iconic Frivole. That said, I think Tiffany is targeting a younger market hence the price point and more smaller delicate pieces.

The diamonds are meant to be small. These designs are not so much about the single diamonds but more about tiny pave diamonds in a beautiful setting.

If you want a big diamond, get a solitaire in my opinion. But if you want a “design” and you like Paper Flowers, get that.

By the way, one element I absolutely do not like about Paper Flowers is the third leaf is just plain platinum without any pave diamonds. When I see that, I see that as part of cost cutting to keep prices down. Compare to Van Cleef & Arpel’s Frivole pendant which is stunning.

Good luck.

Have to be honest but I respectfully disagree. I have both the larger 3 petal paper flowers ring, which is stunning, and also many frivole items. I see them as completely different. Not only in proportion, angles, symmetry vs asymmetry, and they way they catch the light differently, but also the single petal of each Tiffany flower NOT being pave that actually makes the piece stand out (it would get lost if it were all pave; I love the contrast. The bypass/BTF frivole ring with both elements being pave, I feel you lose some of its design and differentiation as the 2 sizes are quite similar without any contrast). Additionally, the band on the large Tiffany paper flowers ring is also very unique, with a thinner pave band that is single on one side, and bifurcated on the other. Very classy and elegant. I think a lot of design and consideration went into this piece; perhaps the lower priced items in the collection lack these features but you get what you pay for.

I actually love both lines (frivole pave earrings, and WG and pave bracelets, and formerly owned the YG bypass ring which was stunning but also a casualty of the divorce, not to mention purchased on my honeymoon and made me sad to wear, despite its excellent design and beauty), and specifically the large paper flowers ring, and feel they're quite complementary.

If anything, I feel that the simpler paper flowers diamond open pendant is a less expensive (though perhaps more dimensional/asymmetric) take on the VCA flowerlace line (which I personally feel looks a bit young and childish in person), more so than frivole.

And to be perfectly honest with you, I've been disappointed with VCA's cost-cutting measures on several items of late, as the newer versions are lighter, thinner, using less metal, and/or lacking in subtle but important design details (see esp. newer vs older lotus ring and same thing for the triple fleurette cluster earrings -- I owned the older version which were much more substantial, sold as I was going through a terrible divorce and needed the cashflow, and recently repurchased a more recent edition, which had a lower total carat weight and gram weight). Many companies are doing this, unfortunately. So much to the point where I am gaining more interest in estate pieces that are definitely more solid, built to last, and available on many sites as well as luxury auction houses. HW seems to have still retained the quality, but I do not have nearly as many pieces to be the best judge of this.

Sorry for the long post and rambling, but felt this would be a useful counterargument to those who are choosing between these lines. Best advice is to try in person, as always.:flowers:

Have to be honest but I respectfully disagree. I have both the larger 3 petal paper flowers ring, which is stunning, and also many frivole items. I see them as completely different. Not only in proportion, angles, symmetry vs asymmetry, and they way they catch the light differently, but also the single petal of each Tiffany flower NOT being pave that actually makes the piece stand out (it would get lost if it were all pave; I love the contrast. The bypass/BTF frivole ring with both elements being pave, I feel you lose some of its design and differentiation as the 2 sizes are quite similar without any contrast). Additionally, the band on the large Tiffany paper flowers ring is also very unique, with a thinner pave band that is single on one side, and bifurcated on the other. Very classy and elegant. I think a lot of design and consideration went into this piece; perhaps the lower priced items in the collection lack these features but you get what you pay for.

I actually love both lines (frivole pave earrings, and WG and pave bracelets, and formerly owned the YG bypass ring which was stunning but also a casualty of the divorce, not to mention purchased on my honeymoon and made me sad to wear, despite its excellent design and beauty), and specifically the large paper flowers ring, and feel they're quite complementary.

If anything, I feel that the simpler paper flowers diamond open pendant is a less expensive (though perhaps more dimensional/asymmetric) take on the VCA flowerlace line (which I personally feel looks a bit young and childish in person), more so than frivole.

And to be perfectly honest with you, I've been disappointed with VCA's cost-cutting measures on several items of late, as the newer versions are lighter, thinner, using less metal, and/or lacking in subtle but important design details (see esp. newer vs older lotus ring and same thing for the triple fleurette cluster earrings -- I owned the older version which were much more substantial, sold as I was going through a terrible divorce and needed the cashflow, and recently repurchased a more recent edition, which had a lower total carat weight and gram weight). Many companies are doing this, unfortunately. So much to the point where I am gaining more interest in estate pieces that are definitely more solid, built to last, and available on many sites as well as luxury auction houses. HW seems to have still retained the quality, but I do not have nearly as many pieces to be the best judge of this.

Sorry for the long post and rambling, but felt this would be a useful counterargument to those who are choosing between these lines. Best advice is to try in person, as always.:flowers:
I agree completely. I have to admit my initial reaction was that it was their version of the VCA piece. However after viewing in person I feel that it looks more organic. At first the collection was not my cup of tea but overtime it has grown on me. I really like the fireflies in the line and the pieces with the single stone on the side.
Also, I completely agree with VCA changing the weight of their pieces. In April 2016 I bought a 10 Motif in yellow gold at a VCA store. In December of 2018 I went to try on the Holiday pendant at the same store. The store was cleaning my necklace and I wanted to make sure that the yellow MOP was different enough to my all gold 10 Motif. When I picked up the new 10 Motif necklace I was floored and almost disgusted by the weight change. It was a gram or 2 different. It wasn’t a slight difference. It was at least half of the weight of mine. I often wonder what the weight of a 10-15 year old piece would be compared to mine. Did I luck out at get one before they phased into the newer version? Did they just make the change in 2018? I won’t ever know.

I agree completely. I have to admit my initial reaction was that it was their version of the VCA piece. However after viewing in person I feel that it looks more organic. At first the collection was not my cup of tea but overtime it has grown on me. I really like the fireflies in the line and the pieces with the single stone on the side.
Also, I completely agree with VCA changing the weight of their pieces. In April 2016 I bought a 10 Motif in yellow gold at a VCA store. In December of 2018 I went to try on the Holiday pendant at the same store. The store was cleaning my necklace and I wanted to make sure that the yellow MOP was different enough to my all gold 10 Motif. When I picked up the new 10 Motif necklace I was floored and almost disgusted by the weight change. It was a gram or 2 different. It wasn’t a slight difference. It was at least half of the weight of mine. I often wonder what the weight of a 10-15 year old piece would be compared to mine. Did I luck out at get one before they phased into the newer version? Did they just make the change in 2018? I won’t ever know.

Does anyone here know if the yellow diamond firefly pendant comes in size Mini? I only see small on their website and saying the price depends on carat weight, availability, and color. I love the yellow diamond and the spessartine from the photos I've seen. I feel kind of bad to go in the store just to look/browse for now.

Does anyone here know if the yellow diamond firefly pendant comes in size Mini? I only see small on their website and saying the price depends on carat weight, availability, and color. I love the yellow diamond and the spessartine from the photos I've seen. I feel kind of bad to go in the store just to look/browse for now.
So I ended up going in to ask anyway! The firefly piece is just the one size with the yellow diamond changing in size and color.

I think this collection is amazing. Here is my recent shot from the store. One can argue this is a bit like Frivole but I honestly don't think so. Look at these alternating petals, they create this play of sparkle and make this design really special. I also agree that full pave would have made these flowers lost in bling.
The more I look at these, the more I think this is a very well thought though design. The petals are curved, so the light plays on them. I will dig up a pic of a ring with tanzanite as well and share my impression on it separately.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-26 at 10.09.26 AM.jpeg

I could not agree more, especially with regards to older estate pieces which I personally prefer as well. I own a number of estate Schlumberger rings and was walking past newer versions in the store thinking that either I am crazy or the newer rings are smaller and thinner. Last week I managed to have a closer look and compare them - I will post pics in a separate thread but this is amazing how much smaller the newer ring is!
If you don't mind me asking - what is the difference between newer and older version of the Lotus ring? I only seen the newer version IRL and really wondering what sort of changes they made. Hope it is not too off-topic!