Tiffany's Diamond Solitaire

Michael

Feb 9, 2007
Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase my g/f an engagement ring in the near future. I am seriously considering buying a 1.65 E/VS2 Round Brilliant from Tiffany's for $34,000. I also looked at the following: 1.38=$22,000, 1.77=$40,000. My g/f wears a size 5.

It seems like you get what you pay for. I have looked at many other places (BlueNile) etc and it seems that most places accept flaws in their diamonds that Tiffany's does not. The rings I looked at Tiffany's sparkled like there was no tomorrow, even when i took them out of the lights.

Ladies, am I crazy for spending this kind of money for a 1.65 carat at Tiffany's or is the quality/warranty etc really worth it?

Your honest opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I believe if youre going to buy diamonds for someone special then you should think of going for clarify, colour, carat, and cut. I think youre on the right track. Flawless stones or stones with no cracks and marks are believed to be lucky.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on

Michael, you should post this in the jewelry section of the board. Also, there are many threads on engagement rings, as well as threads on Tiffany to help you.

There are many opinions about rings from Tiffany. You should educate yourself about diamonds in general before buying. There are many other jewelers who carry the same quality as Tiffany for much less.

Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase my g/f an engagement ring in the near future. I am seriously considering buying a 1.65 E/VS2 Round Brilliant from Tiffany's for $34,000. I also looked at the following: 1.38=$22,000, 1.77=$40,000. My g/f wears a size 5.

It seems like you get what you pay for. I have looked at many other places (BlueNile) etc and it seems that most places accept flaws in their diamonds that Tiffany's does not. The rings I looked at Tiffany's sparkled like there was no tomorrow, even when i took them out of the lights.

Ladies, am I crazy for spending this kind of money for a 1.65 carat at Tiffany's or is the quality/warranty etc really worth it?

If you have managed to find this thread after it has been moved:

I am a Tiffany girl myself (Solitaire 1.30 D/IF) but let's talk like a man - I will pretend to whilst I gather you are already a man.

Michael, let's get real; Tiffany has been fudging with you a bit . My D clarity, Internally Flawless diamond is flawed because it is not D/FL. Anything below D/FL is flawed: my diamond is flawed so are the ones that you are thinking about. If you want a 1.30 D/FL, it will take almost twice as much money as the price you indicated for 1.77 (I am making an extrapolation from the price of 1.30 D/IF)

And about the lights, try taking outside the shop, my (name of high jewellery store withheld) man has quietly suggested to me that his new decoration has been scientifically researched to ensure that the lighting and even the colour of the furniture make his jewellery sparkle like there is no tomorrow in a more subtle way than Tiffany's unnatural lighting (Homework to think about: why are windows in Tiffany's stores either abnormally small or tinted?). When I bought my diamond/pearl necklace, he took it outside the shop to show it to me and bam, it's like your favourite quarterback getting pummelled by the opposing defense team on the 4th down. Where has it all gone?

I am not saying you shouldn't buy it. In fact you should because Tiffany rip you off the least. I'll tell you some numbers for 1.00 D/IF from various places (multiply by roughly 2 to get into $):

Tiffany's £20,400
De Beers £24,000
Van Cleef and Arpels £25,100
Cartier £26,500

But do you know how much De Beers, VC&A and Cartier get their 1.00 D/IF diamonds for? About £13,000 at most. How do I know? Because I am extrapolating from Hope Diamonds which are diamonds cut by De Beers that has the same quality but marketed by whoever is selling it. So let's talk like men again over Budweiser (which is an absolutely diabolical beer BTW), you are getting ripped off by Tiffany but I suggest that you get ripped there because of the fact that you will be able to sleep in peace knowing that it's not Cubic Zirconia!

My husband got ripped off there because he was sensible and went for safety as he did not know much about diamonds. I would probably too if I was in his position because of the fact that the name Tiffany carries a cachet that your girlfriend will love (other ladies on this forum are going to say no but for a majority of people no denying this).

Blue Nile probably offers you better prices but you have to do research but personally I think it is like buying a car on eBay or a second hand place: you cannot tell whether it is lemon or peach because you really need to be an expert. Certificates can address that but I just feel there is always that little bit at the back of your mind asking the questions. If you go to Tiffany or better jewellery shops, you would not have that.

Summary if you got this far: you are getting ripped off but getting ripped off does not mean that it's a bad thing!

you can do better for the price. it will require work on someone's part but if you are willing to do the work you can get so much more for your money. if i were going to be wearing the ring i would rather have more for the money.

Michael, don't discount the value to many people of the Tiffany name. To some, it's the only way to go, to others, there are better values.

It's up to the individual. Does your future Fiancee' WANT a Tiffany diamond in a Tiffany blue box? If so, then that's your answer. If she, however, wants a beautiful diamond and does not care whether or not it is Tiffany then there are diamonds and mounts just as beautiful for less. You just have to do more homework to find them.

One website that's excellent in this quest is Diamond prices: comparison, statistics, education

All this said, I own a Tiffany diamond as well as other branded diamonds. I love them. I also love my unbranded diamonds.

Congratulations, on your upcoming engagement!

Hey guys,
I summarized the parameters for the ring I was considering purchasing. They were as follows:

Round Brilliant
E color
VS1 clarity
Platinum Tiffany setting
Thin-medium girdle
No to very little flourescence
Depth% 59.5-62.5
Table 55-57
Polish: highest rating
Symmetry: highest rating
Culet none-small
Cut: BEST

My g/f is very down to Earth and would be very happy with anything around a carat. She is a real sweetheart though so I want to surprise her with not just a bigger ring than she is expecting, but a extremely high quality one as well. I really don't want to spend more than $35,000+ tax. $40,000.....maybe lol.

The prices I was quoted at Tiffany's were as follows:

1.38 $22,000+-
1.65 $34,000
1.77 $40,000

The one thing we both really love about Tiffany's is the setting. I have seen many imitations that just didn't compare to Tiffany's. The way their setting holds the diamond to maximize the light going through so that you get that amazing sparkle:supacool:

It seems like you get what you pay for. I have looked at many other places (BlueNile) etc and it seems that most places accept flaws in their diamonds that Tiffany's does not. The rings I looked at Tiffany's sparkled like there was no tomorrow, even when I took them out of the lights.

:beach:

Hey guys,

I summarized the parameters for the ring I was considering purchasing. They were as follows:

Round Brilliant
E color
VS1 clarity
Platinum Tiffany setting
Thin-medium girdle
No to very little flourescence
Depth% 59.5-62.5
Table 55-57
Polish: highest rating
Symmetry: highest rating
Culet none-small
Cut: BEST

My g/f is very down to Earth and would be very happy with anything around a carat. She is a real sweetheart though so I want to surprise her with not just a bigger ring than she is expecting, but a extremely high quality one as well. I really don't want to spend more than $35,000+ tax. $40,000.....maybe lol.

The prices I was quoted at Tiffany's were as follows:

1.38 $22,000+-
1.65 $34,000
1.77 $40,000

The one thing we both really love about Tiffany's is the setting. I have seen many imitations that just didn't compare to Tiffany's. The way their setting holds the diamond to maximize the light going through so that you get that amazing sparkle:supacool:

It seems like you get what you pay for. I have looked at many other places (BlueNile) etc and it seems that most places accept flaws in their diamonds that Tiffany's does not. The rings I looked at Tiffany's sparkled like there was no tomorrow, even when I took them out of the lights.

:beach:

I'm confused. I'm only asking this because I am looking for a 1.5 - 2 ct diamond, and I have been shopping around. What do you mean that most places accept flaws that Tiffany does not? A VS1 clarity, as you are looking for, has flaws. There are diamonds on BlueNile that are IF in clarity, D-F in color, and pretty much the same specifications you have listed that are priced less than a Tiffany diamond. I'm curious because I'm looking too, and I'm trying to do my homework.

i think that all of you have a great point. Michael, if you want to get your gf a ring from Tiffany's because to you it symbolizes perfection, then go for it. ultimately you are the one who has to be pleased with the purchase, well, so does your gf. you really aren't paying for the dimond, you're paying a premium for the name, and if that's what you want, then go for it!!!
but, if you look at other online vendors, you will be quite shocked that you can get a good 2.50 ct for that money. and remember it's all about the cut!
good luck and whatever you get, i'm sure she will love it!!

michael, i have no problem with tiff's but as my earlier post stated i think there are other vendors that have the same quality diamonds. i know there are diamond forums out there because i am a part of one. try reading their tutorials and check out some of the threads. maybe start one of your own. we all want you to get the diamond that makes you and the girl friend the happiest. :yes:

eta: make sure and post pics here of what you get. we are interested.

YAY! :yahoo:

I know there are many wonderful places to find great high quality stones (and there are a great many ladies here who can point them out to you! I LOVE this board!!) But, I am a Tiffany's girl! I will totally admit it--right out loud (plus my avatar is a dead giveaway).

I have the Tiffany setting and think it is TDF! I can't imagine anything else! The stone/setting you are looking at is great! As for the $$... it's a BIG # you've quoted but, I'm sure she'll be thrilled with it! It makes me happy just looking at my ring. And my husband thinks my stone sparkles like a demon! The SA a T & Co warned me that diamonds can have a natural flourescence and that I shouldn't judge the sparkle from inside the store. It looked even BETTER outside and in low lights!

As long as you avoid the 1ct, you're getting a better deal (that 1ct is a tough stone to get...and a popular choice!). We went for just UNDER 1ct but, since my hands are small (I'm a 5 too!), the ring looks HUGE! Everyone assumes it's at least a ct...so I'm a bargain diamond shopper!

If you like the ring and you think she'll like the ring...it doesn't matter what we think :smile:

Congrats tho! I hope you're very happy! And please keep us posted!