Tiffany watches- worth it?

This is not a watch brand, it's a jewelry brand. You can expect to lose a lot of money should you ever wish to sell it. It's also a quartz, a vastly less expensive, mass-produced movement compared to an automatic, and not favorable in resale. For me the answer is definitely "no, it's not worth it," but that's a personal decision.

Their watches are made by the Swatch Group, so they are probably in comparable quality to some of their lines like Omega, Longines, etc. I love their Tiffany Grand watches.

Automatic movements are not as valuable as some make them out to be, although the industry certainly seems to make them seem that way...however even "high-end" automatic movements in Rolex or Omega watches are worth no more than $500...Quartz movements are less expensive, but high-end quartz is still very high quality and uses superior parts, and has superior finishings.

In the past, I would buy a watch just for its "look", but as my taste and style matured and as I learned more about different brands, I wouldn't buy a watch now except from brands that are well know for watch making (Rolex, Cartier..etc..), I found that those are true classics and I will be wearing them even in 20 years no matter how fashion changes. So the answer for me is, no its not worth it.

Thank-you so much everyone for thoughts! It sounds liked I truly better be in love for a lifetime if I spend that kind of $ on a Tiffany watch, as the resale value will not be there. You are correct, you can never find them used........I guess people recognize the loss they would take.

I have tried this watch on and I love it. The diamonds are very nice. Just want to point out that the dial is a deep blue and not black. If you are not planning of selling it and you love it, get it. I woud like to get the same watch but in white dial and black leather strap someday. I like this watch more than my Rolex.

Automatic movements are not as valuable as some make them out to be, although the industry certainly seems to make them seem that way...however even "high-end" automatic movements in Rolex or Omega watches are worth no more than $500...Quartz movements are less expensive, but high-end quartz is still very high quality and uses superior parts, and has superior finishings.

There is a significant price difference to start with between the quartz and the automatic versions of the same watch, and this difference carries through in the resale market. An automatic movement is the result of watchmaking design and skills; a quartz is a mass-produced and inexpensive part added to a case. Now, there are many individuals who don't care about that and love their quartzes, and that's fine. But it's not correct to conclude from this that the quartz has the same "worth" financially, compared with the equivalent in auto. And also not correct to expect a jewelry brand to be the long-term value of a watchmaking brand.

Good luck with your shopping, OP.:smile:

My view, chiming in on the automatic vs quartz debate, is that the purpose of a watch is to tell time. Whether the movement is quartz or automatic, as long as it tells time, and tells it properly, it doesn't matter. Even automatic watches can get to a pont where they run slow or fast. I think a watch should perform its function, to tell time, but also be pretty and make you happy. We wear our watches as much as we wear our wedding rings. You have to be in love with it. It should be another piece of jewelry, but one that performs its function. If you love the Tiffany watch and it is worth the price to you, you should buy it. I never think about resale value when i buy something, even though i think it is smart. But i buy what i love to wear for a lifetime...

I don't dispute the "value" subjectively of a quartz watch. I think the OP was trying to get at whether it's a good place to park $5K in a watch. If by value you mean liking the watch, finding it dependable, and keeping it forever, sure. If you mean buying a watch known for its craftsmanship as a watch and not as a piece of jewelry, and retaining decent value in resale, no quartz watch, even by Cartier, is going to do as well in the market. This doesn't mean don't buy it; it is answering OP's question as I read it.

I agree with jellyv. If you want something that tells time accurately then you don't even need a watch, your phone will do just fine. When spending several thousands on a watch, most people would hope for a beautifully crafted piece and in a watch, the craftsmanship is in the movement.

Since the OP wants to know if the watch in question is "worth it" then it's not a bad idea to weigh up the facts and consider the factors which commonly determine watch value. In this case the watch is 5K but it's not made by company specifically renown for their watches expertise, the movement is quartz and the body is stainless steel so you have to ask yourself what exactly you are paying 5K for. If the diamonds and the appearance are enough then great, if not then then OP might want to look for something else.