Tiffany solitaire necklace should I get a better stone?

Tatti_

Dec 25, 2018
I'm not sure what to do. Keep the necklace or return it and get another one with a better stone. If I can get a better stone. Or does it only matters for bigger stones? Can you get a better stone only when they are bigger?

My diamond: cut triple excellent, 0,28, J, VVS 2

The color somehow bother me and I like to have a better clarity. I'm very picky... I don't know but the stone dosen't seem to sparkle as much I would like.

I tried bigger stones. But my SA say a smaller stone is better for everday. A bigger stone is too much. What do you think?

I'm sorry for the bad photos. But it is very hard to take a good picture.

20201207_194328.jpg
20201207_194310.jpg
20201207_194041.jpg
20201207_194016.jpg
20201207_194007.jpg
20201207_193859.jpg
20201207_193836.jpg

20201207_194039.jpg

20201207_193941.jpg

Last edited:
Clarity is great! I wouldn’t touch that.
It sounds like the color is not for you. You may be color sensitive like I am. I would look for a G-H color for a pendant.
As for size, you can easily wear up to a carat for daily wear. I’m in the US btw. I know other countries have different style views. Maybe try on a stone slightly larger and determine how you feel.

I'm not sure what to do. Keep the necklace or return it and get another one with a better stone. If I can get a better stone. Or does it only matters for bigger stones? Can you get a better stone only when they are bigger?

My diamond: cut triple excellent, 0,28, J, VVS 2

The color somehow bother me and I like to have a better clarity. I'm very picky... I don't know but the stone dosen't seem to sparkle as much I would like.

I tried bigger stones. But my SA say a smaller stone is better for everday. A bigger stone is too much. What do you think?

I'm sorry for the bad photos. But it is very hard to take a good picture.

View attachment 4923823
View attachment 4923824
View attachment 4923825
View attachment 4923842
View attachment 4923846
View attachment 4923848
View attachment 4923863

View attachment 4923829

View attachment 4923845

Diamonds are not easy to photograph. I can see hints of pink in your pictures as it’s reflecting the pink material. Your diamond specs are excellent and a J colour is still in the near colorless category which should face up white because of the excellent cut. You might see a faint warm tint from the side view - but in a pendant it won’t be noticeable. Keep it clean and let it sparkle. I have several T&C diamonds including a pendant just like yours.
At the end of the day it‘s all about your perspective - if you are not happy with it it might be time to trade up/exchange.

Reactions: Tatti_
I have this same necklace and do think it's perfect for everyday at this size. Regarding color, like others said it's hard to see in these pics, but do think at this size the whiter the better since most of the impact comes from the color vs it being gigantic and sparkly no matter the color.

Reactions: Tatti_
The 0.22 looks perfect to me.You can wear it alone and also layering is possible if you need more bling for the day. So I would not necessarily go bigger as 0.28 for an every day 24/7 necklace.

The 0.22 looks perfect to me.You can wear it alone and also layering is possible if you need more bling for the day. So I would not necessarily go bigger as 0.28 for an every day 24/7 necklace.

I thought this was my thread so posted wrong pics of my necklace which I've deleted since you were asking for the original posters pictures

@Tatti_
I would return it for something you are happy with. If you’re like me, then you may be color sensitive. For me, I cannot settle for a lower color no matter how well the stone is cut. I actually had this happen recently with a pair of DBTY earrings. They were an I in color and the SA and SM assured me they were absolutely beautiful. I tried to convince myself that they were for a week or so and finally returned them after much deliberation. Don’t settle.

Personally, I think Tiffany is overpriced for the quality. Either way, if you aren't happy with a piece, you should return it for something you are happier with. If you have a budget, assess what's most important to you and get the stone that comes closest to meeting that requirement.

Because your current stone is so small, a J color won't look that yellow. If you size up, the color may be a little more noticeable. If you plan to layer necklaces and your other diamond pieces are closer to D-F, the J could become very obvious.

I do think your current stone is tiny though, unless you're an actual baby. If 0.28 is a size you can comfortably afford, consider getting a piece that is bevel set instead. Depending on the setting size, it could easily look more like 0.4 ct. I have a bezel set necklace where the stone is 0.93 ct, but the setting makes it look like a full 1 ct. I don't think it's too much, but my style has never been tiny/small + minimal. If you feel more comfortable with a bigger stone and it fits your style + personality better, size up.

Reactions: etudes and Tatti_
I called tiffany at tuesday. They said they don't have a better stone because they all like this in the store. If I want to have a better stone I need to go bigger in size. I can't belived it. First I tried the necklace on in september with a stone in 0,22 for much more money. So it must have been a better stone. The woman at the hotline was very rude to me and I think she didn't take me seriously. This was the first time tiffany was rude to me. It is a piece that cost a lot of money and I spend over the years a lot of money at tiffanys.
I don't think she called my SA. She said that they can look worldwide in the stores for a better stone but she think there's no better stone or that they can get it. My SA dosen't called me yet. Should I call tiffany again? Or take the search some time? Maybe they don't have a better stone at the moment? Christmas and the corona virus...

Sizing up is no problem but I'm not sure. I don't want the stone to be too big or too small.

The woman at the hotline says because it is a small diamond you won't see !a difference in color with a better stone. I went to my local jeweler yesterday because one of my rings need a repair I asked him and he sad the same.

@Nycgirl813 post you're picture again. I like to see other necklaces in comparison. :smile:

I want to layer this necklace. If I can I want to get better diamond necklaces. This is my first diamond. Other diamonds I have are much smaller. I layer my necklace with them or fake diamonds. At the moment I like it. But I don't know if it will bother me when I can get a necklace with a better diamond...

I think I is only the max at tiffany for engagement rings?

20201211_193904.jpg