Tiffany or Cartier: Photos of 2 ct E-rings, help choose!

Choose the Tiffany or Cartier diamond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kkaate

Cartier Partier
O.G.
Oct 12, 2008
Ladies,

I’m having difficulty choosing between two gorgeous diamonds. I did my research ahead of time, and we went to the shops with Ame’s “diamond cheat sheet” in hand (thank you Ame, and ladies of tPF, for the wealth of knowledge!). The assistants at both Tiffany and Cartier were very kind and accommodating, and searched for e-rings that met our criteria.

We narrowed it down to two rings (photos and details below). The Cartier meets the specifications of Ame’s “cheat sheet” almost exactly. The Tiffany is close, but a little all over the place. If I follow the numbers and the research, it seems the Cartier should be the better diamond, but I (and my fiance) both admitted that the Tiffany diamond was much more striking, fiery, sparkly, and “lively.”

I’m so confused! :huh: Why? I’m a fan of logic and math, so I’m very surprised that the Tiffany seemed to outperform the Cartier. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? We scrutinized the diamonds both under and away from the lights.

Which would you choose?

Cartier
2.16 ct, VS1, H color, GIA rated excellent
Depth 61.9%
Table 56%
Crown (within Ame’s range, but I forgot to note the exact value)
Pavillion (within Ame’s range, but I forgot to note the exact value)
Girdle thin to med
55,000 USD total

Tiffany
2.15 ct, VS2, I color
Depth 59.0
Table 60%
Crown 35.0
Pavillion (forgot to note exact value)
Girdle thin to med
42,000 USD total

Last edited:
From what I understand it's the quality of cut that helps to make it sparkle? The Cartier was rated excellent. If Tiffany is rated Ideal for example, it would explain why.

They are both amazing! Go with your heart. I will admit that I just chose a 2.10 Si1, J color diamond over a much better quality, smaller diamond. The 2.10 just sparked so much more despite it's rating!

I think the Tiffany looks better on you. I know someone who is a gemologist. She knows her stuff as she was even involved with the reset of the Hope diamond. Anyway, she told me that sometimes people get too carried away by the stats on paper. For instance, if both stones are rated quite close but at the end of the day, we need to use our naked eyes and see which stone looks nicer.

I own a Tiffany classic e ring and I just love the design. With the less expensive Tiffany ring, you can get a very nice diamond wedding band to go with it.

They're both stunning! Im sure at this point you're set on either Tiffany or Cartier, but if I were you, I would get neither. You could get the exact same diamond in an identical setting from a no-name jeweler for half the price, which leaves a lot left over for some matching stud earrings :biggrin:

I am big fan for both Cartier and Tiffany, and my E-ring and very newly purchased wedding bands are from Tiffany as well, however, in your case, if you do not plan to search more, I would choose Cartier based on the Diamond color being better than Tiffany's I. And from your pictures above, the Cartier ring does look better than Tiffany. Unless you would ask Tiffany SA to find the color H ring for you instead of the current color I? My opinion only as others would say color I and H no difference...etc but my choice would Color H which is Cartier ring.

Reactions: baghagg
I think the Tiffany ring looks fantastic on your hand! For some reason it just looks like it belongs there while the Cartier for me is just meh based on the pics.