Tiffany Help Needed Please

Pandoraholic

Feb 10, 2009
Hi guys

Has anyone had a problem with bad tarnish on their Tiffany bead necklace??? (or bracelet)

I got the graduated bead necklace for Christmas and my MIL picked it up for us from Tiffanys in Las Vegas and we gave her the money- yes i trust her it's the real deal and I got my copy of the receipt, box, bag and pouch.

I love it but tonight i have taken it off to find black circles of i'm presuming bad tarnish around 10 of the beads on one side. What could have caused this???? And how do i remove it????

So far i have cleaned them in hot soapy water dried them off and rubbed them with a silver polish cloth but it's not budging- well it's prob faded a little but still looks awaful and i've been rubbing ages with the cloth. What shall i do???

Thanks

Toothpaste? Silver polish (I use 'Silvo')? I would stop it with the soapy water... Also, stop fretting, and call Tiffany tomorrow morning and see what they suggest. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help... Also, silver may turn black due to the Nickel content that it has been alloyed with, becoming oxidised, so periodical polishing should solve that!

Good Luck!

Some people get that when there skin doesn't like silver. I have a friend who can't wear silver because it turns her black in area, so she has to wear white gold.

I wouldn't use toothpaste... you can buy silver polish--either paste or dip--at your local walmart or equivalent store. Once you polish it back up, I'd recommend taking it off at night and wiping it with a polishing cloth before putting it away.

Sometimes it's just the way your body chemistry interacts with the silver that makes it tarnish. I never had a problem with my bangles or rings tarnishing... they just get a nice patina... but heart lariat necklace will tarnish. The skin/sweat from my neck must be too acidic or something.

Here's my experience with tarnigh & polishing a tiffany necklace: http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewe...t-co-silver-before-after-pictures-332012.html

MB: I've seen the connoissuers jewelry cleaners in walmart's jewelry section, but you can also get it on Amazon.. here's a link.

I think you have to be more careful with the dips.. especially how long you leave it in, as the dips are more harsh.

Wright's silver cream is a god-send! I am absolutely amazed each time I use it. It virtually brings my silver Tiffany jewelery to new status. It's truly, truly the best jewelery care product I could ever imagine. Cannot rave about this enough. Buy it ASAP!

http://www.amazon.com/Wright-014-Wr...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268029812&sr=8-1

thanks- Wow those before and after pics are amazing. I think the polish cloths i had just weren't strong enough for such bad tarnish- I found another cloth and got it to wearable status for a party i was going to last night- i will however try and get some cleaner when i go to the shops in the week. i'm going to a wedding and want it to sparkle like yours does now.

Anyone recommend a jewelery cleaner in Australia that works well on tiffany silver?

I use a silver dip on the T&co silver necklace I got for my birthday and it looks as good as new. As someone said above me, don't leave it in longer than the recommendation (mine is 10 seconds) or you'll REGRET it! I think if you leave it for too long you can get a white residue on the silver that is really difficult to get rid of and looks as bad as the tarnish. You can get silver dip from any jewellers. Good luck, I hope you're pleased with the results!