Tiffany gold - I'm tempted by someone's preloved stuff but is it legit?

Blossy

Dec 30, 2012
Australia
Someone at work is selling the gold RTT heart lock and gold 1837 bar earrings, apparently a never worn gift, for $500.

I'm a bit suspicious - dont know this lady, the RRP is $3300, and I'm not sure i believe the story of them simply being that her daughter thinks they are "too plain."

Waiting on photos but still not sure i can authenticate them. No papers, and the nearest store is 4 hours away.

I'm tempted - snap me out of it ladies! It's too good a deal to be true, right?

PeacefulMommy

Nov 14, 2012
Florida, USA
That definitely sounds too good to be true.

Sadly, this woman either has absolutely NO idea of the retail value for these items (which I doubt), they aren't genuine, or the price was quoted incorrectly.

I wouldn't make that purchase unless I could authenticate the items.

Blossy

Dec 30, 2012
Australia
That's how I'm feeling. She's actually just reduced them to $400.

Seems to good to be true. Having said that, perhaps it's hard to sell? Had a quick look at ebay, not many gold items are attracting bids.

Blossy

Dec 30, 2012
Australia
At this point it's almost worth it for fake. Not that I want fake Tiffany, it's more a case of that is cheap for any gold jewellery.

Blossy

Dec 30, 2012
Australia
I'm not sure... She says its real (of course) and I'm sure it has a hallmark but no doubt that's easy to fake.

Hmm...

Jan 5, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not sure... She says its real (of course) and I'm sure it has a hallmark but no doubt that's easy to fake.

Hmm...
i am watching some gold tiffany items on ebay and they sell for about half of the current retail....so can u take good photos and post in the authenticate thread? as i doubt its real tiffany or even real gold. :smile: but u never know, u might have a bargain! just if she has no clue, np. but most likely she does.... :sad:

Blossy

Dec 30, 2012
Australia
Ok, she tells me she bought them for her daughter 2 years ago, daughter never wears them, says they are too plain and wants them sold "hence the massive price drop". She said it was 2 years ago so receipts long gone.

She's sent 3 photos.

My thoughts - boxes and bags look greenish in the photo, and if you're going to keep a paper bag 2 years, wouldn't you keep the receipt too?
- I think the loop on the heart lock is too long.
- I find it weird the lock is in a plastic bag, though she might have done that herself.

Personally I think she bought fakes, her daughter won't wear the fakes, and she's passing them off as real.

Pics attached.

radio_shrink

Aug 8, 2011
They look fake in my opinion. Something is definitely off about the heart lock and the dust bags and packaging material appear to be fakes. I am almost certain that both of those gold items would have come in the black velvety boxes, not the blue pouches, which are reserved for silver items almost exclusively. My advice: STAY FAR AWAY!!!!

Myrkur

Góðan Daginn
Jun 9, 2011
First thing I noticed where the small blue pouches, they look really fake.

sourapril

O.G.
Oct 21, 2006
vogueandfrugal.blogspot.com
They look fake in my opinion. Something is definitely off about the heart lock and the dust bags and packaging material appear to be fakes. I am almost certain that both of those gold items would have come in the black velvety boxes, not the blue pouches, which are reserved for silver items almost exclusively. My advice: STAY FAR AWAY!!!!
I actually bought a gold necklace from Tiffany store in NYC and it came in a blue pouch.

sourapril

O.G.
Oct 21, 2006
vogueandfrugal.blogspot.com
Tell her to try craigslist. :cool:

Ok, she tells me she bought them for her daughter 2 years ago, daughter never wears them, says they are too plain and wants them sold "hence the massive price drop". She said it was 2 years ago so receipts long gone.

She's sent 3 photos.

My thoughts - boxes and bags look greenish in the photo, and if you're going to keep a paper bag 2 years, wouldn't you keep the receipt too?
- I think the loop on the heart lock is too long.
- I find it weird the lock is in a plastic bag, though she might have done that herself.

Personally I think she bought fakes, her daughter won't wear the fakes, and she's passing them off as real.

Pics attached.