Tiffany Engagement ring purchase/upgrade

tarana6

Apr 10, 2015
Hi Everyone! My boyfriend and I started looking at engagement rings (he said I can pick it out myself!)

I know we would be paying a premium for the ring if we buy it from Tiffanys but we are okay with that as I love the customer service and the designs.

I would love a 1-1.30 carat classic Tiffany 6 prong setting but because we are also house/condo hunting and are both in our mid to late 20s I'm not sure if I can justify spending that much money on the ring when we could put it towards our home instead. My ring size is 6.5 so the larger rings do look better on bigger fingers.

Do you think I should purchase a smaller Tiffany ring (0.65-0.90) and purchase my dream size down the road? Did any of you do that and what was the experience like? Our sales associate did mention that Tiffanys now has an unlimited upgrade policy and you can upgrade as many times as you like instead of the previous within 5 years if purchase. Just worried that we may not get the opportunity to upgrade down the road.

Or I could just go non-Tiffany and easily buy my preferred carat size.

When I first read this, I was going to suggest that you go with a non branded diamond, but then I realized that it was you Tarana, I changed my mind. If you go with a non branded, your heart will always think about the Tiffany classic ring.

I would suggest that you get something just under 1 carat I VS2, and upgrade down the road OR focus on the house/condo first and get a bigger Tiffany ring down the road. I was young when I got married and we could not even afford an e ring. We waited a long time and many years later, I got my Tiffany 1.35.

When I first read this, I was going to suggest that you go with a non branded diamond, but then I realized that it was you Tarana, I changed my mind. If you go with a non branded, your heart will always think about the Tiffany classic ring.

I would suggest that you get something just under 1 carat I VS2, and upgrade down the road OR focus on the house/condo first and get a bigger Tiffany ring down the road. I was young when I got married and we could not even afford an e ring. We waited a long time and many years later, I got my Tiffany 1.35.

That is such good advice! I agree!

I think it depends on how much emotional attachment you will have to the ring. If you buy a smaller one at Tiffany, will you have mixed feelings about exchanging it in the future for a different ring? My sister has a 3/4 carat solitaire, and although she has thought about upgrading, she won't because it's the ring her husband picked out.

If it's the size you're after, then go with a non-branded diamond. Once it's on your finger and not in a blue box anymore it's just a diamond.

Reactions: tarana6
Congratulations on your engagement!
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. As you know I am a fellow TCo lover, so I would suggest the TCo ring and then upgrade later (or not if you change your mind).
It depends on how much you want the Tco ring, and how much you want your new house. Do you think you could delay one or the other so you both can have exactly what you want? It would be cheaper for you to delay and not purchase, than to purchase and exchange later on.
Or you could buy your wedding ring now, and then buy your engagement ring when you get married? I know its not conventional but it might mean that you get it all, eventually.
Just brainstorming for you. Its such an exciting time ahead! Super happy for you! x

Thank-you everyone for all your support. It turns out he took me shopping with him the first time just to get an idea of styles and the colour/clarity i wanted! He ended up purchasing a ring this week without me knowing because he wanted it to be a surprise.

He popped the question a few hours ago! He knows me better than myself. I would have been completely happy with a non-Tiffany ring but he knows how much I love the brand. I'm to scared to ask him the price but he said the sales associate was really helpful in working within the budget and getting him set up with the Tiffany financing plan.

He got himself so I don't know full details as they will be mailed later but it's 1.08 carat colour I VVS2 Triple Excellent. More than I could have even hoped for. Thanks for letting me share [emoji813]️

1481773399384.jpg1481773529715.jpg

OMG! I am so happy for you Tarana. Congratulations!
I was about to write "Tarana, how are you going to live with non-Tiffany ering" lol. He did good. What a sweetheart, knew what exactly would make you happy.

Thank-you everyone for all your support. It turns out he took me shopping with him the first time just to get an idea of styles and the colour/clarity i wanted! He ended up purchasing a ring this week without me knowing because he wanted it to be a surprise.

He popped the question a few hours ago! He knows me better than myself. I would have been completely happy with a non-Tiffany ring but he knows how much I love the brand. I'm to scared to ask him the price but he said the sales associate was really helpful in working within the budget and getting him set up with the Tiffany financing plan.

He got himself so I don't know full details as they will be mailed later but it's 1.08 carat colour I VVS2 Triple Excellent. More than I could have even hoped for. Thanks for letting me share [emoji813]️

View attachment 3548673View attachment 3548675
Wow! That is so beautiful! I am so happy for you!