Tiffany e-ring pricing - US vs Japan

brownie20

O.G.
May 16, 2007
a friend of my recently got engaged and is on a hunt for an engagement ring, most likely from tiffany. i know there's an incredible markup in japan on tiffany items, but i was wondering if any of you experts knew approximately how much the markup is for e-rings in japan as he'll most likely buy one there (due to time constraints). thanks in advance for any help! :smile:

ETA: oy, apparently the US and Japanese websites list at least a 60% difference in "starting" prices. guess it's pretty clear where he should be buying his ring from! :smile:

Last edited:

kathyinjapan

No longer in Japan..
Jan 20, 2007
WA
If he wants to save money, he should buy it from the US, preferable a state that has no sales tax. (Remember in Japan to always add 5% consumption tax to the list price)

I bought mine from Japan and it definitely cost more than here in the US.. but it wasn't that big a deal to us back then since we were earning JPY.

edit to add- I don't know the exact % difference for my e-ring but I'll use my wedding band as an example.
current US price - $US3125
current Japan price - 441,000yen = $US 4883
which is about a 56% markup (not including tax)

Last edited:

evekitti

Aug 9, 2007
How about Harry Winston? I've been told their diamonds are cheaper than Tiffany in Tokyo.

brownie20

O.G.
May 16, 2007
If he wants to save money, he should buy it from the US, preferable a state that has no sales tax. (Remember in Japan to always add 5% consumption tax to the list price)

I bought mine from Japan and it definitely cost more than here in the US.. but it wasn't that big a deal to us back then since we were earning JPY.

edit to add- I don't know the exact % difference for my e-ring but I'll use my wedding band as an example.
current US price - $US3125
current Japan price - 441,000yen = $US 4883
which is about a 56% markup (not including tax)

thanks so much for the quick reply! i always knew there was a markup of tiffany products in asia, but i never realized it was THAT much! i think he'll definitely be purchasing the ring in the states now and i was pushing for him to go to a tax-free state, but i think due to time constraints it wont be possible for them. regardless, i'm sure she'll be thrilled w/her ring at the end :tup:

brownie20

O.G.
May 16, 2007
Can he take a trip to Hawaii? He can get it duty free there and Hawaii's not as far from Japan as mainland US.
thanks for the response! :smile: i thought about the taxfree states, but the only ones that came to mind near us (east coast) were new hampshire and delaware, which both dont have tiffany stores! :smile: i think timing wise they wont have a chance to go over to hawaii, but that's good to know if i ever get engaged! :smile: