Tiffany DBY solitaire necklace

Sep 29, 2006
It seems like a few members here own the Tiffany DBY solitaire necklace, and would like to know, how small are the diamonds??? I'm looking into the .5 carat. I have yet to see these in person which is why I'm asking. I really want a solitaire diamond necklace but I don't know if it's worth it to buy it from Tiffany. I know Cartier has a similar style as well. Should I get this jewelry staple from Tiffany? Cartier? Or should I get it custom made by a reputable jeweler?

To be honest, any time that you buy a branded diamond like Tiffany or Cartier, you will be paying a significant markup. One half carat is a decent sized diamond, but you will pay a lot less if you have the same style necklace made by a reputable local jeweler as opposed to buying it from Tiffany. At the same time, I have a Tiffany engagement ring and love it more than anything, so if you can afford the Tiffany prices and don't mind paying for the name, go for it. To help you with size comparison you could look at a diamond comparison chart like this one (found via google): http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor=getPage&pageName=carat

if you want the dby look, you can check out whiteflash.com. they have something similar. but they again i dont know how comfortable you would be ordering online. they are a reputable company, offer return and lifetime upgrade service.

Oh I love the DBY! Great for layering. The diamonds are quite small, not very obvious. A subtle and delicate look especially with the thin chains. I think it's pretty on its own, but when worn alone you mostly only see the chain. For solitaire, I think depends on your budget. For solitaire, Cartier tends to be pricier but the value will hold (vs. Tiffany). With both Tiffany and Cartier, they will provide service and cleaning for your jewellery for lifetime, whereas with private jeweller you kind of never know how long they'll be around.

elle tee, thanks for your input. Btw, I noticed that your location is NYC, would you happen to know of a reputable jeweler here whom I can go to? I'd like to weigh my options. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I don't have anyone to recommend as I don't buy enough jewelry (must fix that problem, LOL). One thing you could try would be to check the Yelp reviews for some jewelers in the diamond district to see who has good reviews. If you just want to compare carat sizes, honestly I go to Tiffany's- they are very nice about letting you browse if you are friendly and courteous. It's a good way to see how big something will be, and you can always order from Blue Nile once you know what size you want.