Tiffany & Co's Rose Gold

BlackSheep13

Bags & Shoes Lover
Jul 1, 2010
Anyone knows if T&C's rose gold is plated on top of yellow gold? Recently I've sent a RG bracelet in for shortening. When I got it back, I was horrified to see a very badly done job on the connecting O rings. The O rings was not round at all & I can still see clearly the part where they cut & re-smoulder it back easily. (makes me wonder t&c don't QC their outsourced workshops anymore?). But what's worse was the part where they re-smoulder back, is in YG, and the rest of the 3/4 part of the O ring is in the original RG!

That got me quite worried cos I intend to wear it on a daily basis. If it is indeed plated on, then I will be sorely disappointed cos it may fade with time. Ladies who owns RG T&C pieces, were you told by the SA if the RG was plated on or the entire material used is RG?

Many thanks for your kind replies. Meanwhile, I will send my bracelet back to them to rectify. The unsightly O rings are definately unacceptable!

It sounds like a bad repair job, however the fading issue is separate. My understanding is that it depends on the alloy used and some are better than others at holding color. I think this is why Rolex came up with their Everose alloy. Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm this?

the YG part could be because of the oxidization where the ring was soldered back together? same as on white gold it would be more grey looking.

take it back and they will fix it for you.

It sounds like a bad repair job, however the fading issue is separate. My understanding is that it depends on the alloy used and some are better than others at holding color. I think this is why Rolex came up with their Everose alloy. Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm this?

Yes, you are right. Rose gold is rose because of the copper present in the gold, and the alloy mixed with the copper and the gold needs to be something to help keep the color. Rolex does make rose gold with a different alloy...

:ty: so much ladies. I am so glad to know that the RG is indeed solid RG & not plated on. I have sent back my bracelet to T&C. Unfortunately, under the yellow lighting inside the boutique, the SA can't see the difference in colour for the O rings. :shucks: But they said they will touch up...well, will have to see it again after I get it back 3 days later. I hope everything will be good by then. :sweatdrop:

Yes, you are right. Rose gold is rose because of the copper present in the gold, and the alloy mixed with the copper and the gold needs to be something to help keep the color. Rolex does make rose gold with a different alloy...

this is such an interesting subject because there is lots of vintage rose gold out there and much of it really retains its rose or pink color...........

Hi,

Anyone have experience with the Tiffany rose gold and the effect on it with long term wear? Does the color really fade? The Tiffany SA told me it will not fade since its solid rose gold.
thanks!