Tidying up before the "cleaners" come?

Eugin

O.G.
Aug 27, 2006
Growing up, before the cleaners would come to clean our house my mom always insisted I "tidy" up my room a little before they come like putting things away(more like shoving things into the closet!). SO and I finally to decided to hire someone to clean our place since we've been pretty busy. I'm thinking I should probably "tidy" up again to at least get the clutter out of the way and out of embarassment at the level of current messiness. :P Anyone else do this too?

I have 3 kids...yet I consider myself still fairly "hot:wlae:" Picking up is important to me. I often find tooth brushes in toy boxes, or blush brushes in the kitchen drawer! If they don't steal and only clean up to 50% of your expectation....u have a gem!

This was always something that made me laugh... but we always had to do this growing up. Makes sense, but seems like such an oxymoron

I always do it too! I don't mind the tidying part of cleaning; I just hate the wiping and scrubbing. I figure if I tidy up, she can spend more time getting the dirt out of things instead of picking up all my junk! (Plus she likes to move things around so it makes it harder for me to find things when she tidies for me.)

I think economically it makes good sense. if you pay your cleaner by the hour, why waste your money on picking up? at least that is how I see it. anyway, not a great fan of stuff flying all over the place, at least it should be contained to one room in the house.

my parents are friends with a couple who pay their cleaner a fixed salary - and hired her to pick up after them! in that case, fair enough I guess.

Well, let's rephrase this. Does anybody NOT tidy up before they come? I've stopped having anybody but the carpet cleaners when needed, because I work myself to death - not only before they come - but while they're there. Don't want a cleaning lady thinking I'm lazy, you know. :nuts:

my mom used to ALWAYS make us do this when we were young. it drove me absolutely batty, and the concept still does, even though i understand why we did it now.

she also wouldn't let us call her the maid. it had to be 'cleaning lady.' yuppie guilt, anyone?