Throwing a Fashion Workshop at New Boutique

JVSXOXO

Toddler mom who loves pretty things
Feb 16, 2017
A co-worker/friend approached me about throwing a workshop on Shopping Your Closet at her good friend's new boutique that's opening up in town. I'm really excited about this opportunity because I love beauty and fashion and have been looking for ways to do more with it on the side, as my day job doesn't have much to do with it. I occasionally advise students on professional attire for interviews and in the workplace, but that's certainly not every day! I figured what better place to ask for tips than here? :smile:

I'm just looking for ideas on what you would like to see in that type of workshop or if you've attended something similar, what did you like? What didn't you like? I'm going to meet the owner at the boutique's grand opening this Friday and I imagine we'll talk dates then, but I'm really thinking of ways to make this a fun and interactive workshop. With my students, I usually have visual aids (powerpoint, handouts) and do activities throughout workshops, but I'm not sure that they'll have a projector and screen readily available in the boutique. Any materials that I do provide will come out of pocket, but I get to charge what I want for the workshop and only pay the cost of champagne, which was quoted at $6 per bottle. I'm thinking of bringing some of my own clothing and accessories, using what I can in the boutique, and using a model or two to change in and out of certain pieces to demonstrate versatility. I still have lots of ideas floating around! Again, any tips would help! Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if I understand completely what it is you're going to do, but your ideas sound reasonable and fun. Would you work like a personal style adviser? Or is it a one time lesson about how to style yourself with what you got? If it's the latter it's probably best to bring clothes that every women has in her closet, basics that can be worn in different ways, dressed up and down with accessories, shoes and jewelry. Using a model could be helpful. Sounds like a fun event! Good luck!

It sounds like a great opportunity. It may be too late (I just saw your thread) but the first thing that comes to my mind is that the boutique owner would probably want you to somehow encourage sales in her boutique for the day. This is a reasonable expectation, it would be against logic for a new boutique to encourage “shopping your closet” as a rule. I think it would be great to recommend a core wardrobe, have examples from the boutique, explain how the styles are long lasting and can be updated with trendy purchases through the years. A model might be a nice addition, you could dress her in basics and accessorize, etc.
Have fun!