Thred Up - Anyone use this site to either sell or buy?

AnnaFreud

Dec 28, 2013
I've had okay luck selling items in my closet to this company. They take forever (average 3-4 weeks) to process your stuff and then there is a two week turn around time before you can "cash out." On top of that, they do not issue checks so you have to cash out using paypal which charges 2%. Mostly I was okay with this because these were clothes I would've donated or given away anyways. Also they let you consign handbags which have a bigger payout (70-50%). Recently I bought something from Thred Up. I saw a cute straw bag from Jcrew on the site and decided to use some of the credit in my account to purchase it. I figured since they inspect everything so thoroughly, I should be getting something like new or very gently used. Well I received it today and it's just gross!! There were stains in the lining, part of it was falling apart, and there is a weird "thrift store" odor to it if YKWIM. I would say this bag was in well used condition. So disappointed. Anyone have better luck buying from this site?

mranda

Apr 27, 2011
I've bought a few pieces of children's clothing on this site. None of the items arrived looking "new" and I was fine with that because I paid next to nothing for them. (I had a $20 credit for signing up). I would have NEVER paid their asking prices for used clothing, though. I haven't sold through them, but I have heard that their payout is very low and that they are super picky when selecting which items to sell.

AnnaFreud

Dec 28, 2013
I've bought a few pieces of children's clothing on this site. None of the items arrived looking "new" and I was fine with that because I paid next to nothing for them. (I had a $20 credit for signing up). I would have NEVER paid their asking prices for used clothing, though. I haven't sold through them, but I have heard that their payout is very low and that they are super picky when selecting which items to sell.

I agree, very low payout...like $1-3 per item. Given that they're so picky, you'd think the items you buy would be in better condition. Try selling to Twice. Better payout and super fast processing.