Threatened by Dooney and Bourke!

MrsKC

Jan 5, 2013
In Nov I ordered a Toscana cross body and used Dooney pay for the first time. The first two (of three) payments were charged to my card with no issue. Saturday I received an email that they were unable to process my payment and it was urgent that this be resolved as soon as possible. Then they state, " if we do not receive prompt payment your debt may be turned over to a collection agency......past due payments could result in shopping restrictions or refusal of your order...."
So, I am thinking what in the world? How could the first two payments be processed with no issues and now I am getting threatened with a collection agency!

Of course I called three times yesterday and no one returned my call. I called this am. The lady in "collections" was rude, took my information including my card number and was about to hang up and I said, "hey wait a minute--what is the issue, there is no problem with my card." Her response, "The server crashed and was down for three days. We sent those emails to get people to respond."

So ok, I pay my bills on time, your server crashes and you threaten to turn me into collections?

So, I am posting for all to read. I will never use Dooney pay again and think I am done with the brand all together.

I would call again and try to talk to someone else....sometimes the person answering the phone is uninformed to say the least. Now mind you I've never paid through Dooney Pay so I'm not speaking from experience but it's just possible she's given you wrong information.
Personally I'd need more to go on to boycott a company forever but that's just me. I can see how it sounded offensive and rude.

I would call again and try to talk to someone else....sometimes the person answering the phone is uninformed to say the least. Now mind you I've never paid through Dooney Pay so I'm not speaking from experience but it's just possible she's given you wrong information.
Personally I'd need more to go on to boycott a company forever but that's just me. I can see how it sounded offensive and rude.

Well I wasn't speaking with the one who answered the phone, I was transferred to "collections" and that is what the person in collections stated. When I complained about being threatened she stated, "I told management this was not a good idea but we needed to make sure people responded to obtain their payment information."
it will be interesting to see if anyone else is having this issue.

But, yes, actually, threading collections (when I have never been turned over to collections) is enough for me to boycott the brand.

Well I wasn't speaking with the one who answered the phone, I was transferred to "collections" and that is what the person in collections stated. When I complained about being threatened she stated, "I told management this was not a good idea but we needed to make sure people responded to obtain their payment information."
it will be interesting to see if anyone else is having this issue.

But, yes, actually, threading collections (when I have never been turned over to collections) is enough for me to boycott the brand.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I'd be writing a letter to Peter Dooney. You can also share on social media which a lot of people are doing to voice complaints if they have no other recourse and aren't being heard by corporate.
That's no way to run a company!

So this is what Dooney thinks of their customers? That we won't pay our bill or respond to a payment issue unless we're threatened? I have no idea what type of collection issues Dooney has had since offering Dooneypay, but when their system crashes, making the missed payments their fault, how about showing the customers some respect, and explaining the error and asking them to call! If you get no response then you can send a collection letter. And how messed up is their system that when it crashes, it can't remember the stored credit information, but it can remember who owes them money? What about getting the previous payment history off the server or wherever it's stored. I know they can get some record. It may require a little more work than going gangster and threatening customers, but it would not sour a good relationship.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that KC. Thanks for the info. I'll pass on Dooneypay, and dooney.com

So this is what Dooney thinks of their customers? That we won't pay our bill or respond to a payment issue unless we're threatened? I have no idea what type of collection issues Dooney has had since offering Dooneypay, but when their system crashes, making the missed payments their fault, how about showing the customers some respect, and explaining the error and asking them to call! If you get no response then you can send a collection letter. And how messed up is their system that when it crashes, it can't remember the stored credit information, but it can remember who owes them money? What about getting the previous payment history off the server or wherever it's stored. I know they can get some record. It may require a little more work than going gangster and threatening customers, but it would not sour a good relationship.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that KC. Thanks for the info. I'll pass on Dooneypay, and dooney.com

Hi RN!!!
Yes, that is why I posted. Most of the gals on this forum who have read my posts can tell I am not a complainer or a pot stirrer, but this is just wrong. I really kinda freaked out when I read the email.....as you know we are moving. The loan for our next house is being processed--if our credit report came back with a ding and it was related to my handbag buying.....well let's just say that would not be a good day at my house!

Hope you are good, I saw your Bitsy (and zebra btw) both super cute!

Mrs KC ~ I got the exact same email because i had one more payment on my Dooney pay also. I called yesterday and left a message and never received a call back. The way I figure I did my part, now they can do theirs. Also NO reason the payment shouldn't have gone through. I don't think they will send it to collections especially when all they have to do is re-run the card number. and it seemed to be a company issue. Poorly handled on their part, but I am not giving it much worry. Like I said, I called them back and left my name and number and a message, if they can't be bothered to return my call, then thats their loss.

Not sure if I can say good bye to them, i love the bags too much :sad:

Last edited:
Mrs KC ~ I got the exact same email because i had one more payment on my Dooney pay also. I called yesterday and left a message and never received a call back. The way I figure I did my part, now they can do theirs. Also NO reason the payment shouldn't have gone through. I don't think they will send it to collections especially when all they have to do is re-run the card number. and it seemed to be a company issue. Poorly handled on their part, but I am not giving it much worry. Like I said, I called them back and left my name and number and a message, if they can't be bothered to return my call, then thats their loss.

Not sure if I can say good bye to them, i love the bags too much :sad:

It doesn't make sense that they didn't rerun the card, if it's time for a scheduled payment to come out.....then just take the payment out. Anyway, just frustrating.
Hope all is well with you :smile:. Btw, I took some Dooneys down to SimplyChic on 86th and Ditch and sold the a few weeks ago. It is cash on the spot, not consignment--if you need to do some spring cleaning. I am sure I could have gotten more on eBay but did not want to mess with it.

It doesn't make sense that they didn't rerun the card, if it's time for a scheduled payment to come out.....then just take the payment out. Anyway, just frustrating.
Hope all is well with you :smile:. Btw, I took some Dooneys down to SimplyChic on 86th and Ditch and sold the a few weeks ago. It is cash on the spot, not consignment--if you need to do some spring cleaning. I am sure I could have gotten more on eBay but did not want to mess with it.

Did you see any of MY Dooneys there? I have also taken a couple there, they don't give you much, but you can only do so many trade ins. Thats a great place to clean out your closet too. I do need to weed out a few older ones. My tastes have changed and I find I don't wear some of my older ones as much. Also I did just buy a Michael Kors bag that I am in loove with. It really just never ends. :nuts:

I agree about Dooney, they HAVE my credit card info, just try it again ... How hard is that?

Did you see any of MY Dooneys there? I have also taken a couple there, they don't give you much, but you can only do so many trade ins. Thats a great place to clean out your closet too. I do need to weed out a few older ones. My tastes have changed and I find I don't wear some of my older ones as much. Also I did just buy a Michael Kors bag that I am in loove with. It really just never ends. :nuts:

I agree about Dooney, they HAVE my credit card info, just try it again ... How hard is that?

I did see some Dooneys there! Between you and I we could probably put the west side in bags!

In Nov I ordered a Toscana cross body and used Dooney pay for the first time. The first two (of three) payments were charged to my card with no issue. Saturday I received an email that they were unable to process my payment and it was urgent that this be resolved as soon as possible. Then they state, " if we do not receive prompt payment your debt may be turned over to a collection agency......past due payments could result in shopping restrictions or refusal of your order...."
So, I am thinking what in the world? How could the first two payments be processed with no issues and now I am getting threatened with a collection agency!

Of course I called three times yesterday and no one returned my call. I called this am. The lady in "collections" was rude, took my information including my card number and was about to hang up and I said, "hey wait a minute--what is the issue, there is no problem with my card." Her response, "The server crashed and was down for three days. We sent those emails to get people to respond."

So ok, I pay my bills on time, your server crashes and you threaten to turn me into collections?

So, I am posting for all to read. I will never use Dooney pay again and think I am done with the brand all together.
Wowza, I would be fuming too. That is just poor customer service, rude, and very poor management.

I haven't used DooneyPay before, but now I never will. I love all my bags, but I am thinking I will only buy from the outlet now on. No more ILD or Dooney.com. But I too can't give up what I already own [emoji7] . Most of my bags have been gifts.

I agree, Peter Dooney needs to know about this. I have felt their phone service and online management has been lacking for some time. They definitely know how to make a quality handbag, too bad they can't carry over the corporate customer service. My local outlet is great, one of the SA's is my fav, so friendly and knows me by name. I will try to only shop with her now.

Last edited:
This is really awful. I would definitely try to get through to someone on a higher level about this. They need to know that it's not okay to mess with people's credit. I can see your concern especially while buying a new home. I've never used dooney pay and will definitely hesitate. However I do most of my shopping at the outlet so I should be safe. Dooney really needs to get their customer service issues resolved. It's such a shame that such quality and pride goes into making their product, but the same pride doesn't reach their service. Thank you for the info KC. I'm sorry you had to deal with this. [emoji17]

Hi RN!!!
Yes, that is why I posted. Most of the gals on this forum who have read my posts can tell I am not a complainer or a pot stirrer, but this is just wrong. I really kinda freaked out when I read the email.....as you know we are moving. The loan for our next house is being processed--if our credit report came back with a ding and it was related to my handbag buying.....well let's just say that would not be a good day at my house!

Hope you are good, I saw your Bitsy (and zebra btw) both super cute!
Thanks KC!
If you have any issues with the bank (and hopefully you shouldn't at this point), you can request a letter of explanation from Dooney to provide to the bank. But I'm sure they (the bank) won't be worried about this. And I know with Dooney's customer service response, it's easier said than done.
Don't think about this anymore where you mortgage is concerned! Just keep packing, selling handbags, and getting excited about how close you'll be to your wonderful grandson! :heart:

Wowza, I would be fuming too. That is just poor customer service, rude, and very poor management.

I haven't used DooneyPay before, but now I never will. I love all my bags, but I am thinking I will only buy from the outlet now on. No more ILD or Dooney.com. But I too can't give up what I already own [emoji7] . Most of my bags have been gifts.

I agree, Peter Dooney needs to know about this. I have felt their phone service and online management has been lacking for some time. They definitely know how to make a quality handbag, too bad they can't carry over the corporate customer service. My local outlet is great, one of the SA's is my fav, so friendly and knows me by name. I will try to only shop with her now.

Yes, they def can make a beautiful quality handbag. It's unfortunate the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
While I should press the issue, I am not going to. Too much going on right now, but is the main reason I posted here.
You are lucky to be near an outlet.

Reactions: BadWolf10
This is really awful. I would definitely try to get through to someone on a higher level about this. They need to know that it's not okay to mess with people's credit. I can see your concern especially while buying a new home. I've never used dooney pay and will definitely hesitate. However I do most of my shopping at the outlet so I should be safe. Dooney really needs to get their customer service issues resolved. It's such a shame that such quality and pride goes into making their product, but the same pride doesn't reach their service. Thank you for the info KC. I'm sorry you had to deal with this. [emoji17]

Hi TB! You too are lucky to be near an outlet. I saw that your grandbaby is now under your roof:smile:, hope you are getting to spend great quality grandma time with that precious pumpkin!