Thread for petite ladies?

I think it's a good idea!
I am petite (but I am a teen tbqh so probably will grow taller ;P) I might start a thread for young people idk;;

I would definitley post things like reviews, brands, ootd, tips and tricks etc!

Also Wendy (Tpf's Nhu Nhu) is my ALL TIME FAVOURITE YTer.

when I was Ann Taylor the other day, I also tried this top-I wanted XS at least but they were out already. Actually, it seemed like most of items were picked over already and most of smaller sizes were gone:sad:. Its not supposed to be a tunic top but looks that way on me-definately not a purchase. FYI, I tried a Small

Attachments

• IMG_20110813_153600.jpg
    IMG_20110813_153600.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20110813_153620.jpg
    IMG_20110813_153620.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 121
I wholly agree with this thread.

However, I always have trouble looking towards bloggers or celebs (eva longoria, reese witherspoon, rachel bilson, olsen twins etc) for insight bc they are super thin and their ability to get away with certain things doesn't transfer over too well with petite women who are a bit more curvy/hourglass shaped (I'm 5'1 and around a sz 6 - 8 depending on the brand).

I've dabbled with Ralph Lauren petites, precise petites, banana republic, anne klien, jones new york etc and some have been winners (I'm 27 y/o for reference). I'm always interested to see pics of how ppl piece wardrobe items together.

Any direction or ideas on people who are a bit larger that I could look to for inspiration would be great.

otherwise, it's good to hear from others on ideas for dressing the petite woman! :biggrin:

Sometimes I wish blogs would all go headless... That sounds horrible, but when the bloggers are beautiful, it makes me think better of their outfits than they actually are... Am I crazy or do other people have this problem?

I also have the most trouble with coats and jackets fitting right at the shoulders. Is it too complicated to get it altered if it's too big in the armpit? I'm thinking about it, but I don't want to do it if it's too expensive. I might as well try to find a new one that fits then!

when I was Ann Taylor the other day, I also tried this top-I wanted XS at least but they were out already. Actually, it seemed like most of items were picked over already and most of smaller sizes were gone:sad:. Its not supposed to be a tunic top but looks that way on me-definately not a purchase. FYI, I tried a Small
It's a cute top...too bad the fit wasn't on point. :sad:

Sometimes I wish blogs would all go headless... That sounds horrible, but when the bloggers are beautiful, it makes me think better of their outfits than they actually are... Am I crazy or do other people have this problem?

I also have the most trouble with coats and jackets fitting right at the shoulders. Is it too complicated to get it altered if it's too big in the armpit? I'm thinking about it, but I don't want to do it if it's too expensive. I might as well try to find a new one that fits then!
LOL, I don't think you're crazy, but personally it doesn't matter to me if bloggers are headless, or if they have their faces blurred or in full focus. :P

Re: the second paragraph, check out her blog, she has had various alterations performed in the sleeves of coats and jackets. Here is just one blog post about it...once you're on her blog, run a search under "coats", and you'll be taken to a bunch of posts on Burberry coat alterations and such. ;)
http://www.extrapetite.com/2009/11/new-jacket-reveal-burberry-part-4_16.html

missc1.jpg

My outfit~ I'm around 5'5" 5'4"
Jeans- Levis
Shirt - No name silk georgette shirt in light pink. (tucked in)
Shoes - French Sole
Clutch - Miu Miu

I am fairly sure Ann Taylor does "vanity" sizing, meaning their sizes are really about 2 sizes bigger than the size on the tag. I got a dress that was a size 2 and I have not worn a size 2 since the early 90s. It fit more like a size 6.

I am fairly sure Ann Taylor does "vanity" sizing, meaning their sizes are really about 2 sizes bigger than the size on the tag. I got a dress that was a size 2 and I have not worn a size 2 since the early 90s. It fit more like a size 6.
they changed their sizing few years back-I used to fit into size 2 there but now even size 0 is usually too big on me. When I recently tried size 0 dress there, you could fit two of me in it

I'm about 5'1" & a size 4.

My input on dresses:
Many Forever 21 dresses are considered "mini" length, but on us shorties would be regular length! I know the quality of F21 is much to be desired, but it can be something to look into if you're desperate for dresses. I take good care of all my clothing, so I haven't gone through the horrors you've heard of regarding F21.

And as much as I love H&M, I only own one dress from the brand because its dresses generally run long. Such a shame. Not an issue for my 5'7" girlfriend at all though!

I'm a petite (5'1) but my shoulders are wider that my hips, so I tend to buy a lot of separates. The best thing I did for my self was to get measured(all over). A side from having my shoulders wider than my hips, I am also have a "short torso". What I learned to do was to "dress the body I have".
It is said that if you have a closet full of clothes and still say to yourself "I have nothing to wear", you're probably wearing all the wrong clothes for your body type(BTW, I'm an inverted triangle). So once I figured out how to dress my body type, I got rid of all the wrong clothes and started buying what fits my body type. I have never been happier. So now when I look in my closet, it's a matter of "what am I going to wear", instead of "I have nothing to wear"

I'm 5'3"/5'4" and size ~8. I've just accepted that most of my pants, suits, and dresses have to be altered. It makes me a little more careful with my purchases because of the added cost but I end up with pieces I really like that fit.

My local dry cleaner/tailor hems pants for ~$12 if they're unlined. Suits get a bit more expensive. I just had a dress suit tailored (dress hem shortened, jacket sleeves shortened, and bodice taken in) and it ran me $58.

they changed their sizing few years back-I used to fit into size 2 there but now even size 0 is usually too big on me. When I recently tried size 0 dress there, you could fit two of me in it

I've had the same thing happen to me. I used to wear a petite 4 at AT. After I had my kids, the size 4 didn't fit (but they were higher-waisted). Now the size petite 0's are too loose. I asked an SA about the change in sizing, and she denied there was any change.

By the way -- I think a thread for petites is a great idea! I'm 5' 1-1/2". I'm a size 0 or 2 in bottoms but a 4 or 6 on top as I have huge shoulders. It's so hard to find suit jackets.

this is a great idea! there are some clothes too in "regular" sizes that fit petites. i'm 5'3 and finding clothes that fit right is a struggle for me as well. i've started to blog but wendy and extrapetite are stunningly gorgeous. it's like "i want to look like that!" - i'm just happy to brush my hair before i leave for work! :P

i went to talbots today and tried a blazer in the 2P and it was too short in the body but the 2 in the regular was too big.