Thoughts on this Stella McCartney inspired Falabella by Steve Madden

Apr 14, 2011
So Steve Madden has come out with this bag that almost is an exact replica of the falabella by Stella McCartney. I've always wanted a Falabella but i'd rather not spend 1000+ dollars. What do you guys think of this "inspired" one by Steve Madden? It's not technically a knock off but i'm still on the fence.

steve-madden-btotally-chain-trimmed-tote-bag-stella-mccartney-falabella-knockoff.jpg

STEVEMADDEN-HANDBAGS_BTOTALLY_GREY-MULTI.jpg

Sure, why not? :smile: I don't love Steve Madden quality but it if it's an occasional "fun" bag that is a great choice. Falabella's are PVC too (albeit high-grade PVC). I wonder how it looks/feels in person?

I've never been able to convince myself that the Stella McCartney bags are worth the price. For those prices, I want leather. That's just me, though.

As for Steve Madden quality, I've only ever owned one of his bags -- purchased on a trip after my bag was destroyed (well, ruined for me anyway). It was a big, slouchy hobo of made of a dark teal "snakeskin" PVC. I bought it because it was inexpensive (maybe $60), the right size to hold my stuff, and went well with the clothes I had with me. I ended up using it quite a bit the first year that I had it, and less frequently later. I finally sent it to Goodwill in a big closet purge about five years after I purchased it. It was still in good shape, and looked barely used except for some light pen marks inside of an interior pocket. I definitely got my $60 of value out of it...and then some.

I think I'd rather go for the Madden version even if I was a millionaire - dishing out more than $1,000 for a fake leather bag just isn't for me. Plus, one of my hangups with the original Falabella is the shoulder strap and how it would dig into your shoulder, being chain all the way. Madden has made it way more comfy-looking! :tup:

I can't get with Steve Madden in any way. I have no respect for his business or him as a person, so I would never support him even if I loved one of "his" styles.

I have a real Stella though and one thing I would warn about Falabellas is the added weight the chain adds. I would recommend trying one on in person before buying. That it's not leather is not a problem for me. SM's fabrications and construction are high-quality. It's a misnomer that leather is worth more than fabric. There are high and low quality versions of both, warranting high and low prices.

Thanks for the input, now which colour should i get? The black will go with everything but i love the snake print. The cobalt blue is nice too and i don't own any bright coloured bags.

I think you should get a fun color. If going with a fun bag why not a fun color? :smile: I love the snake print and the blue as well.

For me black doesn't go with anything except outfits including black - work outfits including black pants, for example, and bright tops - but colors you can build an outfit around.

I have a Stella cross body bag, and it is worth every penny. It neither looks nor feels cheap and it is super light. That said, I cannot comment on the Madden one having not seen it in person.

I love the look of this because I've always wanted a Stella bag, but could never afford one. However, I just looked on the Steve Madden site and the 3 reviews on the bag all mention the lacing on the sides of the bag were coming undone after only about a week so I would be cautious about getting this one.

I can't get with Steve Madden in any way. I have no respect for his business or him as a person, so I would never support him even if I loved one of "his" styles.

I have a real Stella though and one thing I would warn about Falabellas is the added weight the chain adds. I would recommend trying one on in person before buying. That it's not leather is not a problem for me. SM's fabrications and construction are high-quality. It's a misnomer that leather is worth more than fabric. There are high and low quality versions of both, warranting high and low prices.
Id agree...i own 1 falabella in shaggy deer and am eyeing another for spring and they are incredibly high quality, impeccibly made, decent heft, nice clink and the shaggy deer material is as nice as suede...its not leather but is just as nice!

Id rather pay $$ for a quality piece than $ for kr@p which will break down fast. Imho

Reactions: JetSetGo!