Thoughts on these diamond alternative stud earrings?

Bambieee

Live and let live.
Nov 15, 2015
Hi ladies,

So I retired an amazing pair of quality CZ stud earrings that I purchased from Nordstrom a few years ago because they got so dull and I want to purchase a fresh new pair of diamond alternatives. Here's the thing though: It's so hard to find ones that don't look cheap! I did some shopping around today at a few stores and all the studs looked so....cheesy.

This evening I came across two pairs and I want to know what you think about them and if you think it's a good or bad idea to buy--I've never purchased earrings like these online because I prefer to see them in person but I figured hey, why not look. Your feedback would be very much appreciated! (OMG sorry for the gigantic photos)
Etsy:
il_570xN.242976636.jpg

il_570xN.242976642.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/738416...arch_query=screw+back&ref=shop_items_search_7

Ebay:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-75-Ct-Rea...rings-Studs-/262641168126?hash=item3d26a22efe

With the Nordstrom studs, have you tried soaking them overnight in a liquid detergent like Dawn or Era to remove grease and dirt? Or are they permanently cloudy? I find that overnight soaking often restores the twinkle.

I agree it's tough to buy CZ jewelry online. You have to see it in person. There are different qualities of CZ and some CZ look pretty bad, watery and all.

Some people on PF have had good luck buying from winkcz.com. But you'd pay nearly $300 for a pair of gold/CZ studs.

All I can advise is that if you're going to buy online you make sure you're buying from someone with a good return policy. And someone who is willing to honor their return policy without making a stink about it.

I recently bought a pair of small sterling CZ studs from Macy's for $15 for everyday schlepping-around-the-house-and-yard wear and they look pretty nice. Nice enough for me anyway. But I bought them in person. Would it be possible to check out the jewelry counter at a local dept. store?

Good luck!

With the Nordstrom studs, have you tried soaking them overnight in a liquid detergent like Dawn or Era to remove grease and dirt? Or are they permanently cloudy? I find that overnight soaking often restores the twinkle.

I agree it's tough to buy CZ jewelry online. You have to see it in person. There are different qualities of CZ and some CZ look pretty bad, watery and all.

Some people on PF have had good luck buying from winkcz.com. But you'd pay nearly $300 for a pair of gold/CZ studs.

All I can advise is that if you're going to buy online you make sure you're buying from someone with a good return policy. And someone who is willing to honor their return policy without making a stink about it.

I recently bought a pair of small sterling CZ studs from Macy's for $15 for everyday schlepping-around-the-house-and-yard wear and they look pretty nice. Nice enough for me anyway. But I bought them in person. Would it be possible to check out the jewelry counter at a local dept. store?

Good luck!
Thanks for replying. I give it a nice cleaning once in a while with soap but I think they've gotten very scuffed as they've been worn constantly for a few years so the sparkle seems to have died down a lot. I never used dish detergent though. $300 is steep for that wow, that is money that can go towards something else lol. I get it though..the quality of the earrings on that website look great.

I also checked a few department stores today but no luck. The most I saw were generic, crappy looking stud earrings in the costume jewelry section. I'm a stickler for quality and details so I said ehhh no thanks.

Thanks for replying. I give it a nice cleaning once in a while with soap but I think they've gotten very scuffed as they've been worn constantly for a few years so the sparkle seems to have died down a lot. I never used dish detergent though. $300 is steep for that wow, that is money that can go towards something else lol. I get it though..the quality of the earrings on that website look great.

I also checked a few department stores today but no luck. The most I saw were generic, crappy looking stud earrings in the costume jewelry section. I'm a stickler for quality and details so I said ehhh no thanks.

Isn't it amazing? Back in the day, before the price of gold went crazy, one could buy a pretty decent pair of 14k CZ studs for $40-$50. You could find them at jewelry stores, dept. store fine jewelry counters, and the home shopping channels could always be counted on as well. These days it's hard to find decent ones. Even in the $100 range the CZ is cheap, the gold flimsy. But $300 for earrings on WinkCZ...one might as well save up for the real deal.

Thank you for this tip! I gave my old pair to my younger sister already. However, I tried this to make them nice and shiny for her today. These are what they look like on her:
View attachment 3562548 View attachment 3562549
So nice and sparkly. :heart:

You are welcome, glad it works. She can continue to make them sparkly by cleaning it often. Thanks for the pics! Looks great on her. Enjoy your new pair [emoji6]

Reactions: Bambieee