Thoughts on the Outnet Customer Service?

abliu

Sep 13, 2012
I've just had a really bad experience with CS and am wondering what other people experience. I'm kind of at the point where I will not buy anything from them in the future.

So, I bought at Anya Hindmarch bag that was shipped early March (with a few days delay because of the extreme weather on the East Coast). It came in a box that was ripped up which I thought was kind of strange and it's not like I got free shipping or anything. Plus, it's a website that sells luxury items- I kind of expect everything to be packaged in a reasonable manner. You know, where the item is secure and whatnot. They have a 28 day return policy posted on the product page and a 14 day return policy on their returns page. Whatever.

In mid March, I find out that my grandfather is very ill and is likely not likely to make it for much longer and I go on an emergency trip out of the country for about 10 days to see him. This was late March and, might I add, decided on whether or not to keep a bag was NOT on the top of my to-do list. In early April, I finally get around to contact Outnet CS and basically, they tell me they can only accept a return for store credit that would be valid for one year as a courtesy to me. The item is perfectly intact, has not been used, has all tags, etc.

I think this ism kind of ridiculous. I TOTALLY understand why the Outnet would have a return policy; however, I think it's a be outrageous to adhere to closely to their policy given the circumstances.

What do you all think? Am I being unreasonable? What have your experiences been with the Outnet? Thanks for hearing me out- I so appreciate the opportunity to share my experience- hopefully this can help inform other customers who are considering making a purchase with the Outnet. Of course, I can only hope this kind of experience is not shared by those who purchase from Net a Porter.

Was it within the return time frame? And I'm a bit confused about what you were referring to in your third paragraph regarding the "circumstances"? Did you meant that you had a family emergency which was why you weren't thinking about whether your should/should not return the bag?

You have to understand that they don't know you had a family emergency and it's also possible that they think you are having buyers remorse after the return policy date. Some company are pretty forgivable with their customers return but one thing you have to remember is that don't expect all companies to act the same. There's nothing wrong with them adhering strictly to their policies simply because some people can very easily take advantage (so to speak) of them and abuse it... and the next thing you know, they stop being so nice.

I heard great experience with the Outnet but I have never purchased from them before. Though I think the above paragraph applies to pretty much all kinds of shopping websites.

Was it within the return time frame? And I'm a bit confused about what you were referring to in your third paragraph regarding the "circumstances"? Did you meant that you had a family emergency which was why you weren't thinking about whether your should/should not return the bag?

You have to understand that they don't know you had a family emergency and it's also possible that they think you are having buyers remorse after the return policy date. Some company are pretty forgivable with their customers return but one thing you have to remember is that don't expect all companies to act the same. There's nothing wrong with them adhering strictly to their policies simply because some people can very easily take advantage (so to speak) of them and abuse it... and the next thing you know, they stop being so nice.

I heard great experience with the Outnet but I have never purchased from them before. Though I think the above paragraph applies to pretty much all kinds of shopping websites.
Yeah, I talked to CS a week outside of the return window and explained the family emergency, flying out of the country, etc to no avail. I totally agree with what you're saying about return policies. Unfortunately, life happens and if they can not accommodate their customers in a way that I feel is reasonable, they will not longer get my business. Lesson learned.

I have only had good experiences.
That's good to hear and thanks for reading my rant- it had just been bothering me the last few days. The last few weeks have been a bit rough and this was the last thing I wanted to deal with. Now on to funeral arrangements.

I love the bag in your profile, BTW. Is it Louis?

Firstly, I'm really sorry for your loss. :sad:

I've only had good customer service from The Outnet. As far as I can tell, they did do you a courtesy by relaxing the rules and giving you a one-year store credit. That to me is a reasonable concession. I'm really sorry that it is such a difficult time for you. At the same time, you can see how easy it could be for unscrupulous people to come up with a similar story, and from the vendor's perspective it must be quite difficult to know who is being truthful and who is simply trying to take advantage. As a business needing to account for sales, they don't have the liberty to break the rules every time someone asks. What are they supposed to to, investigate further by asking you to provide evidence for your emergency? Surely that would be additionally insensitive to you in your circumstances, not to mention a burden on both parties.

Personally I wouldn't expect anything over-and-above this from any luxury retailer. I doubt Net a Porter would have dealt with this any differently.

(The ripped box is another matter though. I'm sorry it reached you in that state, that's not good.)

That's good to hear and thanks for reading my rant- it had just been bothering me the last few days. The last few weeks have been a bit rough and this was the last thing I wanted to deal with. Now on to funeral arrangements.

I love the bag in your profile, BTW. Is it Louis?
Hi my bag is Mark cross.

I asked for an extension for a return as I have been in hospital this week and they gave me an extra week. But my RMA was still valid when I asked. It was just tricky to get the item sent back over Easter weekend. You could try to explain by email and see how it goes. Otherwise if you might shop again a store credit might work for you? Sorry you are having a tough time. X

Me too, I'm sorry for your loss, however theoutnet has offered very good customer service to you here by giving you a store credit. The ripped package is unpleasant, but as you said, the bag is in excellent condition.