Thoughts on possibly getting a Kelly 32 Retourne PHw

loves

O.G.
Sep 19, 2008
Please help me with a two-part dilemma:

What if I don't use it much?

I am very very casual when I dress, my entire vibe is casual, but not jeans casual. I rarely wear jeans, perhaps just slightly boho/ earthy/hippie/rock. Needless to say I do not like formal dress that much.

The Lindy really suits my wardrobe and lifestyle but I do want a Kelly. I will wear it on my shoulder more than hand or arm-carrying it. However I'm just a little apprehensive because I might not use the Kelly as often as I'd do my Lindys.

If this were a Birkin, I may not think so much because if I find myself not using it at all, I should be able to sell it off in Birkin-scarce Singapore. Kelly I'm not so sure.

What do you think? Random thoughts appreciated :smile:

ps I've been in practically all the Kelly threads and love how some are worn so casually, still need a prod or two from TPFers hence this thread :P

What colour and leather?

I have the Lindy in Etoupe and Prune in Clemence and these two colours work very well with my wardrobe.

I want a 32 Kelly retourne in Ebene or Gold. Preferably in Chevre Mysore or Fjord or even Togo. Something with a smaller grain and not so slouchy.

Ebene is probably my first choice, I'm a neutrals person and not really into a "bright pop of colour" style of dressing. Gold to me makes a great neutral too.

I'd love it in Etoupe but no point for me to get another bag in this colour. I'm kinda boring but not that boring!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
well, loves, I've seen what you look like and how you dress. having said that, I don't think a Kelly carried on the shoulder would work for you. unless, I see you actually carrying one and could convince me otherwise.

I can see you more with a So Kelly or Evelyne in gold.

But that's just my opinion.

allanrvj Sadly I do agree with you.

I'm thinking long-term, hoping I'd grow into it. When I do, the Kelly I got today would seem "cheap" assuming the prices keep going up!

The Evelyne doesn't look good on me, I've tried it many times in many sizes but somehow I just don't look good.

I am thinking of a travel Lindy or Lindy 34 in Black for a gym bag, I go to the gym almost daily. Hmmm. Perhaps I should put my money there and get a Kelly when I "grow up" (I'm 37 now)

Last edited:
I have a 32 retourne Kelly in gold and i use it casually. I think it can be dressed up or down. I always wrap the handle with a twilly and match the colours of that to my outfit and it looks v.casual! I dont know if its just my ageing eyes but i feel that the colour gets uniformly darker with time and i love it even more! Go Go Go Go for it! :heart::heart:

I think it'd be difficult to carry a Kelly on shoulder unless you opt for shoulder Kelly or go for a bigger size Kelly like 35 or 40.

I don't find it comfortable carrying a Kelly on shoulder as my arm keeps bumping into the buckle. The handle is too short and is not designed to be carried on shoulder.

If you think that you might not use the Kelly as much as the Lindy, I think you should give it a pass and get a Birkin instead.

JMHO.

I think a 32cm retourne Kelly can work for casual especially one in a neutral colour. If you are worried about resale prices (in case you don't use it), will you consider getting a pre-loved one?

Perhaps we need Ms Piggy, both a neutral and Kelly lover, to enable you!

I think it'd be difficult to carry a Kelly on shoulder unless you opt for shoulder Kelly or go for a bigger size Kelly like 35 or 40.

I don't find it comfortable carrying a Kelly on shoulder as my arm keeps bumping into the buckle. The handle is too short and is not designed to be carried on shoulder.

If you think that you might not use the Kelly as much as the Lindy, I think you should give it a pass and get a Birkin instead.

JMHO.

doesn't a kelly come with a long strap so it can worn on the shoulder? i think i can imagine what you mean about the 32 kelly handle being too high up on the ribcage if the shoulder strap is used.

sadly i'm not a birkin girl. well not now anyway, i've learnt not to say never.

Last edited:
I think a 32cm retourne Kelly can work for casual especially one in a neutral colour. If you are worried about resale prices (in case you don't use it), will you consider getting a pre-loved one?

Perhaps we need Ms Piggy, both a neutral and Kelly lover, to enable you!

I remember how Ms Piggy dresses, the kelly suits her very much. I dress much more casual than her though.

Not sure about pre-loved, not an expert and I don't want to get cheated. Yes I know, I'm chicken.

Don't buy a bag that you won't use. Wait to as you say "grow into" actually using a Kelly before buying. Focus on what you love now as you have no idea what you will desire later in life. Pass on the Kelly for now.

Ah yes, using the shoulder strap is also an option. This gives a more casual look. I have never used a shoulder strap on a Kelly and not sure if the bag will slide off due to its weight.

doesn't a kelly come with a long strap so it can worn on the shoulder? i think i can imagine what you mean about the 32 kelly handle being too high up on the ribcage if the shoulder strap is used.

sadly i'm not a birkin girl. well not now anyway, i've learnt not to say never.

pursenality what do you mean by slide off?

i've seen two ladies irl carrying their kellies on straps. one was BJ the other i truly cannot recall but they both looked good. both times i was behind them at the atm machine so i had time for a really good and close look

hermesmonkey good point, thanks

When you carry a certain weight in the bag and use the shoulder strap, I am just thinking if the strap might just slide off when you walk around. The Kelly shoulder strap is not very thick.

I hope I am making some sense :P.

pursenality what do you mean by slide off?

i've seen two ladies irl carrying their kellies on straps. one was BJ the other i truly cannot recall but they both looked good. both times i was behind them at the atm machine so i had time for a really good and close look

hermesmonkey good point, thanks

When you carry a certain weight in the bag and use the shoulder strap, I am just thinking if the strap might just slide off when you walk around. The Kelly shoulder strap is not very thick.

I hope I am making some sense :P.

I know what you mean. I don't really like to use the strap that comes with my kelly for that reason. Also, as it is thin, it gets HEAVY really fast and mine is supposed to be a light leather! CDC.

I think for loves, she should get the canvas strap as she want a casual look. Problem solved. Look achieved. But loves, would you consider a 35cm instead? In a bright colour? It looks more casual.

Ehh, then again, what kind of occassion do you want to use the kelly for?

You don't look 37 at all in your pictures, I had put you down at 25-28! :nuts:

Beeing the happy owner of a black kelly 32 retourne, I´d say gor for the ebene. :yes:

But if the pictures of ddg MaiTai (or me :P) haven´t "convinced" you, then maybe you should wait a little. Looks like it has already begun to itch, though - so my guess is, it won´t be too long until you "scratch". :smile: