Thoughts on having the two of the same, exact bags?

k5ml3k

O.G.
Jul 26, 2012
It’s a pretty special bag but the same bag nonetheless...would you do it?

I know there’s plenty that have the same bag but maybe in a different print or canvas or leather but how dumb is it to have the exact, same bag?

TIA!

I don't have the exact same, but I have 2 silver hardware minis, one caviar, one lamb, both black.

and way too many other minis...and many H bags that are the same but different colors.

Only once have I bought the exact same bag, and it was because it was a very rare sentimental piece and I wanted to be able to wear one while storing the one with the sentimental value. Otherwise one will just never get used and it didn't make much sense to me.

Ahhh yaaasss @pasdedeux1! That is exactly why I’m contemplating this ridiculousness. It’s a rare and sentimental bag. I’m not one to care about rare bags and wanting to collect them. Even having similar bags (ie: different color or size or hardware) makes me rethink the purchase but the fact that this bag means something special, makes me want to have one as a “backup”. It sounds so ridiculous, I know, lol.

Did you end up keeping them?

Reactions: Bisoux78
Ahhh yaaasss @pasdedeux1! That is exactly why I’m contemplating this ridiculousness. It’s a rare and sentimental bag. I’m not one to care about rare bags and wanting to collect them. Even having similar bags (ie: different color or size or hardware) makes me rethink the purchase but the fact that this bag means something special, makes me want to have one as a “backup”. It sounds so ridiculous, I know, lol.

Yes, I have both. The sentimental bag is in its original box with some other mementos. The "duplicate" if you will gets used regularly, as the sentiment is really with the moment, and not the bag itself. So I put the significant one away.

Yes, I have both. The sentimental bag is in its original box with some other mementos. The "duplicate" if you will gets used regularly, as the sentiment is really with the moment, and not the bag itself. So I put the significant one away.

Yes, I already have the one bag now and I’ve used it more than some of my other Chanel bags that I’ve had longer. I was worried I was going to over use it and it will get ruined [emoji17]

I struggle with the same thing, I was gifted a Chanel card case by someone important because of an important event in my life, and I am so reluctant to use it. I contemplated buying another one to use so I'd feel less guilty if it gets worn haha. I think if you are financially able to do so, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Personally I believe that if you find something that works for you, there's nothing wrong with buying the same one or even variations. Some people believe material objects shouldn't hold the sentimental value, because it is an item, instead they feel the moment/memory should be more sentimental, but if you find that the bag is special to you, then it isn't ridiculous. I know some sneaker collectors that do the same, although it may not be sentimental to them, but they find the shoes to be important so they get one to wear and one to store away/display.

Reactions: daisychainz
It’s a pretty special bag but the same bag nonetheless...would you do it?

I know there’s plenty that have the same bag but maybe in a different print or canvas or leather but how dumb is it to have the exact, same bag?

TIA!
I’m definitely fine with having the same bag but in different leathers, hardware and shades of color. I usually prefer jumbos because they just work better for me :smile:
I don’t think it’s dumb at all. It’s just a personal preference. If it works for me then I like to stick with it and get it in different leathers, hardware and colors
:giggle::blush::girlsigh:

Reactions: OCMomof3
I have duplicates of bags, and plan to get more. If you like a certain style, it seems fine to me to vary the colors or leathers. I have a classic flap in black caviar, want a mini flap in black lamb, and want a mini in Tiffany blue

Reactions: Sylly
Sounds like you need therapy. Retail therapy Yessss!!!! Every time I think I am a little too purse crazy, I found out there is someone who thinks just like me. I have the same bag in two different sizes, and I have the same bag in two different colors. But I have not yet purchased the same exact bag. I recently thought about it though, because I just got a very cool one, and I’d like a backup.
That being said, I think a gift is meant to be used. However, I don’t see anything wrong with getting a second one if you absolutely love it and are afraid of wearing it out.

Yes, I already have the one bag now and I’ve used it more than some of my other Chanel bags that I’ve had longer. I was worried I was going to over use it and it will get ruined [emoji17]
I know of someone who bought ( back then.. like 8yrs ago ) 2 of the exact same GST from Paris boutique. I remembered that very clearly because she bought 2 ... i... ended up with none. She said she really loved the GST .. so 1 was to be used daily as her battle bag.. the other... was supposed to be a 'display' momento for her special trip to Paris.

So yes. You are definitely not alone in this.

Reactions: mssmelanie
@CupsofJosephine, aw thank you! As much as I don’t want to feel ridiculous, I really do, lol. Luckily, i am able to afford it but still seems silly to have 2 of the same thing, lol.

@plue89, I’m purchasing it for myself so it’s not something someone is giving to me...probably should’ve specified that. The sentiment is the year it was made.

@gettinpurseonal hahaha! My husband actually ok’d it which was surprising. He’s not paying for it but I just always ask for his opinion. He had to do a double take on this one but eventually ok’d it.

@josiren thank you! I’m starting not to feel so alone but I definitely still feel silly about it lol

For me a bag is sentimental not only because it’s e.g. a special present from someone but precisely because I have memories with that exact same physical bag, I’ve worn it on special occasions and have a connection to the piece - if I buy another bag with the same style, it’s just a new item but without the same value. I guess it depends but bags are made to be worn and even if there are a few scratches, these make it even more sentimental and personal ;)