Thoughts on having the two of the same, exact bags?

Honestly I understand where you are coming from, I sometimes also keep things "in boxes" because I don't want to use or ruin them but on the other side I also think that bags (things) should be used?

It's just a little like only taking the fine china out on special occasions or planning to wear your best dress or favorite fragrance only for a special day (that sometimes never comes), live is short I would just enjoy the bag you have? :heart:

Reactions: Sparkletastic
For my first Chanel bag (I already had a WOC) I couldn’t decide between Lambskin and caviar, or gold hw and silver, so within a span of two or three weeks, I bought both; a black Lambskin medium classic with gold hardware, and a black caviar medium classic with silver hardware. I have since bought many more bags, including a beige medium classic flap.

But for me, having two black medium classic flaps is a dream come true. It is my all time favorite bag, and I like to match my bag hardware with my jewelry, so now I am ready for ANY occasion. I could not be happier, and if I was forced to part with all my other bags, I would be thrilled with just those two bags.

Reactions: natalieh38
Maybe you could use the bag you were given, and save the second one that you purchased as the backup? I mean, technically they are both the same bag so it doesn’t really matter, but sometimes there are slight differences in bags, and YOU will know the difference. That way, you can always keep the one you use. If you decide down the road that you don’t need the second purchase, you can sell it without losing the original bag and sentimental value. Does that make sense?

I have the classic flap in every almost every size (maxi, jumbo, medium, square and rectangular mini) in black caviar and gold hardware. I feel that its probably a bit over the top but I just love the combination and different sizes work for different occasions. However I haven't ever bought the exact same bag twice. I do understand though if you really love something and want to use it but also don't want to ruin it. I love chanel ballerinas and I have multiples of a few pairs that I really love just because I want a back up pair so I can wear the original pair as much as I want without fear of ruining them.

Reactions: Sylly
Thank you so much everyone for the input!! I really appreciate it [emoji7] i see both sides but can’t help but feel silly about my decision (to buy the bag, at this moment). I should be getting the bag at the end of this week so Ill have something thinking to do ‍♀️

a little late to the party and you're probably already making headway in your decisions, but it's totally fine! it's like buying 2 shirts of the same kind and rotating them on different days for work LOL

I think it's weird, unless it's the same bag in a different leather/color/hardware. Someone who is afraid of using a bag because of sentiment is probably going to be someone who worries over how much a bag costs too, and not want to ruin their expensive things. Now the second bag potentially won't be used because it cost *you* too much and will be seen as valuable. That's my guess. Neither will get used. I'd enjoy the first one and show how sentimental it really is by using it and giving it more memories to attach, not fewer.

Reactions: ODEDIHAIMS
The sentimental bag is in its original box with some other mementos. The "duplicate" if you will gets used regularly, as the sentiment is really with the moment, and not the bag itself. So I put the significant one away.
My OCD nature leans towards your rational. lol. I do tend to buy duplicates of items that I REALLY love just so I have a "back up".
With Chanel though, the closest I ever came to this reasoning are my 2 black caviar jumbo flaps with one being a single flap and the other a double.
Some would reason that it's really 2 different bags but in reality, it really isn't since they look exactly the same on the outside. :angel:

Interesting question... For me, (and if I like the item) the more sentimental value it has, the more I want to use it. And the more it gets used and shows use and piles up memories, the more sentimental value it gets.

I totally get that at the same time one would not want to ruin it or something to happen to a bag with such sentimental value. But to me personally, buying the same would not solve the problem because: one, it would actually make the item less special, second, the replacement bag could never replace the sentimental part of the item. So, if I loose the bag that has so much meaning, it is not like having an identical bag in storage is going to make it any better... it'd be the same as the bag being in the shop available for sale. It would not be that bag.

But we are all different, so only you can say. It makes me think. I believe that in many parts of Asia for example, you go and visit a 12th century temple and maybe it has been burnt and rebuilt from the ground 10 times and noone cares, it is still a 12th century temple to be admired as such. In Europe, you want to see the original ruins. Somehow we believe they are more valuable than a replica of the actual building even if it is only a bunch of moss covered stones. So everyone is different.

I can understand completely!

I have done the same thing with shoes and jeans - no joke.
I have expensive boots that I wear to death and when a discount was avaialble I bought the exact same pair again. I wear the worn out ones to clubs and on rainy days and the new ones to interviews or special events :biggrin:
I did the same with a pair of summer sandals and a pair of jeans...

therefore, if you can afford it - go for it!

I can understand completely!

I have done the same thing with shoes and jeans - no joke.
I have expensive boots that I wear to death and when a discount was avaialble I bought the exact same pair again. I wear the worn out ones to clubs and on rainy days and the new ones to interviews or special events :biggrin:
I did the same with a pair of summer sandals and a pair of jeans...

therefore, if you can afford it - go for it!

I have done with this shoes also for sure!

What bag is it? A medium classic flap in black?

I wouldn't have duplicates of all my bags, but I wear my iridescent purple Gabrielle almost every day, and I definitely wish I had a second one in reserve to use when this one gives out (which I'm hoping is several years from now).