Thoughts on eBay's 5/15 Insertion Fee Announcement

Nikki_

O.G.
May 8, 2012
From eBay:

In many popular categories—particularly fashion and collectible items—listing your items auction-style is often the best way to make a sale. That's why, to help ensure your success the, standard selling fees will be updated in the following categories:

Antiques
Art
Baby
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
Coins & Paper Money
Collectibles
Dolls & Bears
Entertainment Memorabilia
Health & Beauty
Jewelry & Watches
Pottery & Glass
Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop
Stamps
Toys & Hobbies

Starting May 15, 2014, there will no longer be a monthly allotment of free fixed price listings in these categories for sellers without a Store subscription. The insertion fee to list fixed price in these categories will be 30¢.

You still get your usual monthly allotment of 50 free listings* that you can use auction-style or fixed in all other eligible categories—or you can use them for auction-style listings in the categories listed above. Plus you’ll get an additional 50 free auction-style listings* to use in these categories only.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2014-Spring-Seller-Update/bd-p/2014SpringSellerUpdate

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Part-time-eBay-Sellers/bd-p/21000000013

They don't take enough with FVF? I know it's "only .30" but it seems like nickel and diming to me.

I don't sell that much on Ebay but I'm sure it will impact some people.

Just Ebay going around in circles. Not that long ago they were touting Fixed Price (BIN) listings. Now their 'research' says auctions better.

Seems like they are hoping that more people will be signing up for ebay stores. I only have a few low price items and will probably take forever to sell them now that BIN is going away.

I was offered 3 automatic relists for free previously. Does anyone know if these relists will now cost money?

Agree. They want people to pay for stores instead of listing 30 days for free. Sucks. I hate auctions. It seems like there are more non-payers than ever.

As a buyer I much prefer buy it now listings to auctions so I'm annoyed from that perspective, too.

A girl can dream, and you all can e-smack me if you want, but...

I really wish eBay WOULD do away with BIN listings, and go back to an auction marketplace.

eBay is NOT Amazon and I'm so sick of seeing it set up that way. I miss the auction excitement.

In MY perfect eBay world, they would reduce the final value fees by half, and collect a small insertion fee.

I really wish eBay WOULD do away with BIN listings, and go back to an auction marketplace.

eBay is NOT Amazon and I'm so sick of seeing it set up that way. I miss the auction excitement.

In MY perfect eBay world, they would reduce the final value fees by half, and collect a small insertion fee.
I like the excitement of auction style listings too, although because of the rising insertion fees more sellers are opting for longer duration listings, and sometimes a buy it now helps people get things when they need it!

I use a mixture of both auction and BIN. With Mother's Day approaching I put many things on BIN with immediate payment. Sometimes people need things NOW. I had a rare minor bidding war last week. Usually my auctions get one bid and go for opening price (if they sell at all)

As a seller I hate auctions. I love BIN with immediate payment required.
I just did a little count and out of 15 sold auctions in the last 2 months, 11 went unpaid. Ridiculous!
I would be OK with auctions if the payment was required immediately.

As a seller I hate auctions. I love BIN with immediate payment required.

I just did a little count and out of 15 sold auctions in the last 2 months, 11 went unpaid. Ridiculous!

I would be OK with auctions if the payment was required immediately.

As a seller I really LIKE them. I like watching the bids go and go and go!

They can't require immediate payment because the winning bidder can bid so early and may not be at the computer but maybe eBay could dramatically shorten the window to pay?