Food Thoughts on eating lobster and foie gras - cruel or not?

Foie gras is already illegal to import in some states like New York..it will be completely illegal in CA in 2010.

I love lobster, and foie gras!! I told my mom to buy a whole bunch on her trip to France..yummy!

I believe Wolfgang Puck has stopped serving foie gras in any of his restaurants due to cruelty.

Personally, I feel that if an animal is raised in a humane way (force feeding ducks is not humane in my opinion) then that is fine. However, most animals are not. :sad: That being said I choose not to eat any meat or poultry for several reasons. As far as lobster, I believe that they lack a central nervous system and are unable to feel pain. Bascially lobsters are like a sea cockroach if you think about. That being said I eat them guilt free with plenty of lemon and melted butter. ;)

I hAVE NO PROBLEM EATING LOBSTER! I have a problem when I don't eat lobster because I love it. I have had foie grad but did not really think about it. I don't think I would go out of my way to have it again. Actually, I was having duck and the foie gras was served with it. It was good, it was at LeCirque in NY. I have never seen foie gras served at a wedding. Good luck!

I do not eat lobster or foie gras, for various reasons. (And since we're talking about cruel food, I'm going to throw veal in there, too.)

I am SO pleased my parents won't be eating foie gras anymore! (They gave that up when they gave up veal!)

And I'm glad they figured it out on their own. (Well, they did know how I felt about it but I didn't want to be one of those people that kept bringing it up.)

Not all pate is cruelly made. I posted this in another thread, and thought I'd reiterate here. (I got this from a cooking article)

Today, the terms pâté and terrine are often used interchangeably. Pâté is simply a mixture of seasoned ground seafood, poultry, meat or vegetables, and often a combination of several different base ingredients.

Beef, pork, liver, ham, seafood, wild game, poultry, and vegetables are all candidates for pâté. The grind can be smooth and creamy or on the chunky side. It may be served hot or cold, molded or unmolded.
(http://homecooking.about.com/od/spec...patewhatis.htm)

Maybe just avoid the ones marked liver pate, as those animals were treated the same way as geese are.

As for the lobster, I've heard about the 'squealing' being actually gases escaping, but it's still the idea of throwing a live animal into a boiling pot of water.

(And even without the boiling alive thing, to me, lobsters are like the cockroaches of the sea.)

First off, congrats on your upcoming wedding. The only reason you shouldn't have either of those items is because of either expense, or because you think it won't be liked by most guests.

Second...Survival of the fittest. Trust me if the Lobster or Duck was bigger or stronger, you would be on their list of appetizer. Think back to dinosaurs or even sharks today.

I have worked as a chef in the past and do you think just because I don't eat red meat (don't like the taste of it) that I would risk my paycheck for it. Go to a slaughter house in person and then get back to me about what happens to any other "meat". It is a little silly that they are banning food now...in NYC no less. Hello! They want to ban Foie Gras in NYC, but its okay to have rats in Taco Bell? Yummmmeee!

If someone chooses not to eat something, that's all on them, but don't ban something I or anyone else enjoy no matter what the food... like Lobster and duck liver! (BTW, I have killed many Lobster in my day and there are more humane ways than dropping them in boiling water). What about chucking live oysters? Why not ban that then?

At what point does it stop? I don't eat eggs either (again I don't like the taste) but I am not going to stop those that do from having an omelette...heck I will even make it for you.

How about the poor vegetables of the world? Maybe I don't want to eat veggies because they were living in the ground at one point. A broccoli stalk died for my nourishment. May it RIP.

I feel the same way this guy does

http://www.megnut.com/2006/09/foie-inanity-reaches-new-york

Okay rant over. I hate when others force their beliefs on me especially about what food I am "allowed" to eat because someone thinks its immoral to do so.

i dont like seafood but regardless id still eat it. foi gras is a delicacy that i would love to try. with every good there is always bad. its blance. i figure if i dont eat it someone else will.

I have never eaten lobster or foie gras, but then again I've never eaten red meat(hamburger, steak, etc.), or many other kinds of meat in my life. The only meat I've ever eaten was ones like chicken, turkey, ham, etc., But for quite some time now, I've been a vegetarian for moral and ethical reasons, and I don't plan on eating meat ever again. First, with lobster, it breaks my heart how they are killed like that. I refuse to sit in a restaurant where lobsters are killed left and right; years ago(when I wasn't vegetarian), I walked into a Red Lobster, and seeing that tank with all those poor lobsters, I immediately walked out. Plus, lobsters are like eating big bugs, to me. Eek.
And foie gras is just plain evil, imo, but so is the whole meat industry. Those poor ducks suffer so much with that, I am glad it's becoming illegal in a few areas.

For anyone that has issues with cruelty out there: honestly, if it bothers you so much you should consider finding a different source for your meat- you don't just have to cut it out completely. What you buy in your typical grocer is industrial meat that wasn't treated well. If you find a local farm that sells beef, chicken, pork, veal, lamb, etc., all grass fed, pastured, and well-raised, it might suit you more. Those animals are raised the way that they should be, sans cruelty.

I won't eat foie gras because I don't like it or liver. I LOVE lobster - it is sooooooooo yummy. Grew up eating it & will continue to do so. In all my life I have never heard a lobster 'squeal' when being put in the pot. Maybe I'm just lucky. I've heard some giant spiders in other countries 'squeal' but if one came near me I'd still step on it.

I think lobster is delicious, I eat it all the time. I don't know if they feel pain as I am not a lobster myself, but even if they did I am sure it is a quick death so I would keep eating it. From what I understand you kill the lobster just before it goes in the pot so it is dead when it goes in for the boil. Like somebody said think of it as a sea cockroach that tastes good. I like liver though not sure I have ever had the liver in question here, it does not look appetizing to me anyway. It probably would be a wasted dish at a wedding especially if you are serving lobster. For people allergic to shellfish or who didn't want lobster I would offer something more appealing to a larger audience as a main course. Don't forget a meat-free dish for vegetarian guests, I always feel bad for my vegitarian family memebers at weddings where they were not taken into account as they basically have to sit and watch everybody else eat.

That practice is quickly going out of style. A good portion of American made foie-gras is completely natural, no "force feeding". If you're going to buy it, just check your source if you care about how the animal is raised. Mind you, there are several European brands that still force-feed.

Thanks for pointing this out.
The production of Foie Gras has been going on since biblical times. It has a very rich history.
Many people don't realize that ducks are very sensitive creatures. If they are stressed too much they get sick and die. Therefore, if the process of feeding them was stress inducing there there would be no ducks left for foie gras.
Hudson Valley produces very good Foie Gras in the most humane way possible.

As far as lobster goes, they are ocean cockroaches.
A very sustainable catch and good shellfish choice for us to eat.

I think people should focus on real food issues like eating locally and seasonly, pesticide use in our foods, and the use of food additives.

Neeya, you've said what's in my mind. I mean, come on people, eating meat itself is already cruel to the animals. It's really unfair to just pick on one or two types of meat.

Second...Survival of the fittest. Trust me if the Lobster or Duck was bigger or stronger, you would be on their list of appetizer. Think back to dinosaurs or even sharks today.

Except lobsters and ducks are animals, not human beings. Humans, unlike other species, are capable of empathy and pity for the suffering of those around them. I would hope that you don't view humanity as just the most dominant animals of the world who therefore get to trample on the rest of the animal kingdom, doing as we please. There are many things that separate us from our animal counterparts, and the ability to be humane, civilized, and compassionate fall among them. If we don't hold ourselves to some standard of decency, we're no better than any animal on this planet.

How about the poor vegetables of the world? Maybe I don't want to eat veggies because they were living in the ground at one point. A broccoli stalk died for my nourishment. May it RIP.

That's a ridiculous statement and a total cop-out. Vegetables aren't capable of physical or emotional suffering and certainly can't be compared to a life of torment for a goose.

Okay rant over. I hate when others force their beliefs on me especially about what food I am "allowed" to eat because someone thinks its immoral to do so.

You could say this about a lot of things, like the morality of murder, kidnapping, stealing, etc. For those who don't care to bother themselves with the "morality" of torturing animals, the law will now see to it that the decision is out of their hands.:yes: