Thoughts on buying Pochette Metis as travel bag for Europe vacation?

rosiier

Life is Gucci!
Nov 3, 2015
Has anyone used the Pochette Metis as a travel bag while in Europe?

I’m traveling to Italy soon and I’m considering buying the bag so I can have something durable, large enough to hold important documents, and fashionable when I’ll be there. It’s going to be a lot of walking and being in the waters in Venice, Rome, Florence and Lake Como
It the bag heavy or bulky for anyone when filled up? Any pros or cons with your experiences please share

I’m thinking of getting the reverse mono but idk if the empreinte is better?

It’s been a long time since I purchased something from LV, so eager to hear about any current quality issues that the bag may have too. I know the pochette metis had glazing issues in the past, is it still an issue now?

I’m traveling to Italy soon and I’m considering buying the bag so I can have something durable, large enough to hold important documents, and fashionable when I’ll be there. It’s going to be a lot of walking and being in the waters in Venice, Rome, Florence and Lake Como
It the bag heavy or bulky for anyone when filled up? Any pros or cons with your experiences please share

It’s been a long time since I purchased something from LV, so eager to hear about any current quality issues that the bag may have too. I know the pochette metis had glazing issues in the past, is it still an issue now?
I got my PM (black empreinte) in Paris last October, and brought it with me on 2 subsequent trips to Europe, and it was honestly the bag that I used the most. IMO, it’s the perfect travel bag, because it holds a good amount, has multiple pockets, is super lightweight, and you don’t have to worry about it in the rain/splashes of water, etc. I carry a decent amount with me when I’m traveling (wallet, medium sized make-up bag, AirPods, iPhone, kindle or charging bank), and I’ve not found the PM to be too bulky or heavy, despite being quite full!

As far as quality/glazing issues go, all seems ok so far (knock wood!). Reverse mono vs. empreinte is clearly a subjective choice, and since I’m not a fan of the reverse, I’d go for the empreinte. I like how low key it is, and while it’s definitely not a dressy bag, the black empreinte is for sure dressier than the reverse.

I also agree with jay_que_lyn that buying overseas will most likely offer significant savings, however, it might get tricky since you plan on using it while in Europe. I’m not sure how strict customs is in Italy, but in Paris and Belgium, they’ve been pretty rigid on not using the purchased item until you‘re back home.

Last edited:
I think it’s a good size for a travel bag, but I wonder if the reverse mono is a bit “flashy” for travel? I’m not a fan of reverse mono in general so it might just be my preference, but I would personally feel more comfortable traveling abroad with the empreinte version (even over the regular monogram, which I do like). The empreinte is more subtle, more quiet luxury IMHO, but of course, you should go with your personal preference! :smile:

I also wonder if you could purchase it while you’re there, at the beginning of your trip, because you’d save money (and also have a great souvenir of your trip!), but I’m not familiar with current regulations that might prevent you from using it while you are there. It might be worth looking into, though!

The pochette Métis is a great travel bag. I have the empreinte version and have carried it on recent travels. It holds a lot, but also versatile to go from day to night. But I have also found that the empreinte version to be quite heavier than the canvas version.

I am also heading to Europe in a couple of weeks and am thinking of getting the canvas version of the PM to be my daily carry when I’m back home.

But I decided to carry my Loewe puzzle bag when in Europe. It’s low key, holds alot and is considerably lighter than the pochette Métis empreinte.

But to answer your question, the PM is a fantastic travel bag

I’m not sure how strict customs is in Italy, but in Paris and Belgium, they’ve been pretty rigid on not using the purchased item until you‘re back home.
I know when I did the VAT in Paris, I had to leave everything in their original packages, so it was 2 weeks of me staring at my bag wanting to use it lol

I'm not sure if Italy is the same, have to research this now but I may just want to buy it in Milan. Hopefully the PM isn't hard to find in stock at store locations, I know online they're always available

The pochette Métis is a great travel bag. I have the empreinte version and have carried it on recent travels. It holds a lot, but also versatile to go from day to night. But I have also found that the empreinte version to be quite heavier than the canvas version.

I am also heading to Europe in a couple of weeks and am thinking of getting the canvas version of the PM to be my daily carry when I’m back home.

But I decided to carry my Loewe puzzle bag when in Europe. It’s low key, holds alot and is considerably lighter than the pochette Métis empreinte.

But to answer your question, the PM is a fantastic travel bag
Thank you so much! This helps me a ton

I think I will buy it, only a question now of getting it before or during the trip (assuming I can find it in stock in the store) :panic:

Hello :smile:

I bought my Pochette Métis in black empreinte leather and honestly this is also the bag I'm using the most while traveling. It's not too big or too small for what I want to carry with me. Because it's black and empreinte, it's more discret and goes with all of my wardrobe.

I did bought a larger LV strap to go with it because I find it more comfortable then the orginal leather strap when I have to walk a lot with a crossbody bag. I can also wear it higher just under my chest which is a great way to avoid tempting pickpockets. No regrets for both pruchases.

Quality issues were present for the early version of the bag, I have none with mine. The only thing is the front hardware, there's some scratches but nothing unusual.

I love that bag so much I just bought the Yayoi Kusama last month !

I know when I did the VAT in Paris, I had to leave everything in their original packages, so it was 2 weeks of me staring at my bag wanting to use it lol

I'm not sure if Italy is the same, have to research this now but I may just want to buy it in Milan. Hopefully the PM isn't hard to find in stock at store locations, I know online they're always available
:lol: Totally hear you on staring longingly at your brand new bag - just screaming to be used - when in Paris!! Maybe there’s some insight on the forum into Italy’s rules…hopefully they’re less rigid than other parts of the EU…? As far as availability goes, you can go to the LV website, and change your location. From there, you can generally get a fairly accurate idea of which bags are available in that city/specific store.

ETA
looks like (as of now), the black PM in empreinte is available at 2 of the locations in Milan.

20269E8F-4389-4E05-A6BA-85E77AEF806A.png

Last edited:
Hello :smile:

I bought my Pochette Métis in black empreinte leather and honestly this is also the bag I'm using the most while traveling. It's not too big or too small for what I want to carry with me. Because it's black and empreinte, it's more discret and goes with all of my wardrobe.

I did bought a larger LV strap to go with it because I find it more comfortable then the orginal leather strap when I have to walk a lot with a crossbody bag. I can also wear it higher just under my chest which is a great way to avoid tempting pickpockets. No regrets for both pruchases.

Quality issues were present for the early version of the bag, I have none with mine. The only thing is the front hardware, there's some scratches but nothing unusual.

I love that bag so much I just bought the Yayoi Kusama last month !
Thank you! I’m glad to hear the quality issues been fixed too
:lol: Totally hear you on staring longingly at your brand new bag - just screaming to be used - when in Paris!! Maybe there’s some insight on the forum into Italy’s rules…hopefully they’re less rigid than other parts of the EU…? As far as availability goes, you can go to the LV website, and change your location. From there, you can generally get a fairly accurate idea of which bags are available in that city/specific store.

ETA
looks like (as of now), the black PM in empreinte is available at 2 of the locations in Milan.

View attachment 5785675T
Thank you! I’ll have to save this post! I feel so technologically illiterate when it comes to using the online site never knew you can use it to locate in stock items like that

Reactions: methvespertine
Thank you! I’m glad to hear the quality issues been fixed too

Thank you! I’ll have to save this post! I feel so technologically illiterate when it comes to using the online site never knew you can use it to locate in stock items like that
Np! Hope you have a wonderful trip, and enjoy your to-be-purchased PM!

Reactions: rosiier