Thoughts on Banana Republic Handbags?

midnight05

O.G.
Sep 25, 2006
I just purchased a leather BR tote purse. The bag was originally around $230, and I got it for $69. I was looking for a purse in a gray/taupe color in the tote style, and BR was the only place that seemed to have the color and style.

I must say....I'm not impressed at all with this bag. It feels like a cheap Nine West bag. I'm going to use it because I do like it, but I would have regret paying $230 for it.

Any other experiences with BR bags? I thought that they were supposed to be nice! (I typically buy leather Coach bags, but their styles and colors just haven't been appealing to me).

Hmm I thought Coach made the Banana Republic leather bags? (Not sure where I heard that from!)

I haven't seen any of their bags in a couple years, but the ones I have seen had pretty nice quality leather.

hm...i've never heard that coach produces BR bags. maybe they're made in the same factories (like gap jeans are made alongside diesel, sevens and other "premium" jeans)?

i've never owned a BR bag, but the ones i've seen were very, very sumptuous and seemed like great quality for the price at the store. it's been a few years since i've shopped there regularly though, and like everyone else, it's likely their quality has gone down.

Hi Midnight05! I have a brown Banana Republic bag which I bought a couple of winters ago and I still wear it and get compliments on it. IMO it's really as good as any other. All this hype that $2,000 bags are better made are just hype because I own a YSL Rive Gauche too and so far the only difference believe it or not, is on the strap of the BR, the color has worn off the leather a bit but I think with a good polish I can restore it like new. After all, I've worn the bag through two winters! I challenge any other manufacturer to stand up like that. I'm addicted to reading about the high end premier designer bags, but if you really read them you will see a lot of complaints!! ie. Prada is making bags with synthetic suede lining for $1,000!!!! YSL - in some of the bags, the "Muse" there is complaints about loose stitching. Hey! Thankfully, I am not a sucker and won't curtail to that psychological marketing. I take my sweet time and disect the bag before I make the lung! Don't have any reservations about your purchase. If you are happy with it, consider the price a steal and wear it! Good luck! - From an obsessed bagaholic!

I have a hobo from Banana Republic and I adore it. Does it compare to my Marc Jacobs- no.
The hardware feels a bit inferior. But the leather is so amazingly smooshy soft.

Thanks for all the replies. The inside of the bag is a turnoff, and I agree that the hardware is cheap. I struggle with the zipper sometimes. My guess is that I'll use it for a season or two!

I really REALLY want the LV Manhattan PM, but it is soooo pricey!!

I have several BR bags and love them. I get just as many or more compliments on them than some of my designer bags. Like one poster said people get caught up with the brand name of the bags and not really the quality. I have seen some poor quality gucci etc bags but people are willing to pay for it. Put a gucci or lv label on a BR bag and some people will be rushing to buy it for 10x the price

I really like the leather their bags are made from -- it always looks lux. I think the styles look pretty classic for the most part too, but as others have said, I think they're a bit overpriced.

I have a couple of BR bags and some of their clutches. To be honest, I prefer them over any of my Coach bags. I have Chloe, Bal, YSL, and RM bags and although my BR ones are not comparable to them, they are still really good quality bags, IMO.

maybe theyve cheapened them out a bit? i havent looked at them in prob about a year, but a year ago the quality was really good and the leather super soft and smelled delish. as for being made by coach, i never heard that.