Thoughts on a vintage Tudor watch?

Louish

Dec 28, 2014
UK
I'm planning on buying myself a special present for my 30th birthday.

I'm looking at various pieces of jewellery (Cartier Trinity XS ring, De Beers Clea bracelet) with the following conditions: it has to be dainty in style, classic & be something I will wear in 10, 15 years' time.

I have seen a vintage Rolex Tudor dress watch in solid YG I really like. It's 1950s - just my style.

Do I take the plunge? I don't know much about this brand but I like what I have researched so far.

May 29, 2010
Although I am not familiar with your particular watch, I've bought a few vintage watches in the past (including a 1920s platinum and diamond Waltham). Here are a few questions to ask:

1. Is the case original to the watch?
2. Has the face been replaced?
3. Are the movements all original?
4. Does it work? Does it need to be winded up? How do you know when to stop winding?

Good luck in deciding!

jellyv

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
I don't see a Tudor/Rolex watch as a dainty piece, so not sure how this fits with your plan unless you mean you will buy either jewelry OR the watch.
Anyway, Tudor is a very interesting sub-brand and has its own devoted following. If you have a way to verify the correctness of the watch in all respects and a way to compare its pricing to see it's good, I say why not. I was just looking at a few Tudors recently and am intrigued by them and wouldn't mind having one. Please post pics if you buy!