Thoughts on a return please

Beenie

Hopeless Hoarder
O.G.
Dec 30, 2008
So I sold a NWOT Coach bag on the bay and I specifially stated NO returns unless due to authenticity or SNAD and I get this email today:

received your package and it is great. However, my fiance was looking for something a wee bit bigger..do you have a return policy?

Here is what I stated in the listing, so there was a picture AND I gave measurements:

New Brown Beige Signature Coach new bag. Approximate size is 9.5" x 6" x 1/2" so this bag is larger than the Coach pochette. The strap is long and adjustable so it can also be worn cross-body, which is great for travel. This also comes with the brown Coach sleeper for storage. If you have any questions or would like to see more pictures, please just ask.

So I am not going to lie, I am QUITE agitated that they're asking for a refund due to they wanted something bigger. So it is great but you want to return since you didn't look at the measurements? I am also not a big seller (just when I want to clean the closet and get rid of gifts that weren't right) and I have 100% FB and feel like this person is going to ding my 100% perfect Fb since they decided it was small after the fact. What would YOU do?

What was it, one of those tiny swingpacks?

Dear buyer:

Thank you for your purchase. My measurements are in the listing. I do not take returns. Feel free to use my photos and description to list the item for sale.

Thanks.

Your seller.

He can always file a SNAD and PP could force the return even if you are right...

Yeah, I am afraid of that too. I am so MAD! Lucky I have the email saying everything is great and I just went and emptied my PP account so they cannot get my money as an extra precaution. Since I am no huge seller and just do it once per year I have NO problem leaving the bay and PP for life!!!

i would hope that if they did file a snad , you could forward them the buyers email that states they were looking for something bigger and paypal would rule in your favour, but then we all know what paypal are like these days !

i would hope that if they did file a snad , you could forward them the buyers email that states they were looking for something bigger and paypal would rule in your favour, but then we all know what paypal are like these days !

I was thinking that about them trying to do a SNAD and then I would have proof all was OK, but like you say, PP does whatever they want now.

So does anyone think I should give the refund less shipping AND then take the listing fees AND the fees to list again? I don't know WHAT to do. I do NOT want to refund but I also have been reading all the nightmare stories around here.

I think you should do exactly what noshoepolish said and write that e-mail word for word. You are not a department store. Everyone has a tape measure or a ruler. People just think they can do whatever they want on eBay and sellers are just expected to take it. Put your foot down and say no. Worst that can happen is that they file a claim (it's not SNAD, so I have no idea what their reason would be) and you would have to refund, but don't refund just because these people can't take a measurement.

I'd say tough cookies, as you clearly stated the size and no refunds but if you're worried, then you could tell them something like..

Dear unobservant buyer,

I am sorry that the bag isn't what you expected. I did list the measurements of the bag in the auction, and I did state no returns. My first suggestion would be for you to resell the bag and then purchase your ideal bag. But, if you DO want to return it, you can do so at your expense, and I will refund you the purchase price less fees and shipping. Please let me know in the next couple of days what you plan on doing.

Have a great weekend,
Seller who did nothing wrong

What does everyone think of this response (taken from auroraskye):

While I am sorry that the bag isn't what you expected, I did list the measurements of the bag in the auction and even compared it as being larger than the pochette for reference. I also did state a no return policy unless not authentic (which I know it is as I purchased myself from COACH) or SNAD, which I believe I did describe as accurately as possible. And you did say everything was good, it just wasn't quite the size you hoped for after the fact.

My first suggestion would be for you to resell the bag and then purchase your ideal bag. But, while I do so with hesitation, to keep you happy, if you DO want to return it, you can do so at your expense, and I will refund you the purchase price less fees (listing, final value, paypal, relisting and shipping) as long as the bag is returned to me in the same condition, which was new and not used. Please let me know in the next couple of days what you plan on doing.

Last edited:
If I'm reading the message from the buyer correctly, he is just asking if you have a return policy. I would just answer that question politely, and not get into sizing or anything else. He may just be hoping he can return it, even though he knows you said you don't take returns.

If I'm reading the message from the buyer correctly, he is just asking if you have a return policy. I would just answer that question politely, and not get into sizing or anything else. He may just be hoping he can return it, even though he knows you said you don't take returns.

You are right!!!!. That happen to me, a while back. I asked the buyer what's your return policy and she told I do not accept returns. And I understood her policy and end of the story.

Good point, Denim, thank you. I think I will just say I stand by my no return policy and apologize the item was not what they were hoping for. If it escalates, I can always send the other email later.

dont send that big long message...merely state that you are sorry the bag didn't work out, but your auctions are all final sale, as listed in the description.