Thought - Van Cleef Vintage 20 vs Magic 16 or 11

Hobbiezm

O.G.
Jan 17, 2011
hi everyone!

As our family prep for the holidays, I find myself obsessing over my next potential purchase- choice is either a 10+10 vintage MOP vs the 16 or 11 Magic MOP necklace.

Are there any recommendations that you might have or pros or cons for either option? I want to be able to wear them both daytime and evening. If I get the vintage - it allows me to get the 2 MOP magic earrings as well.

Thankyou and Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to all!

If I were taller I would get the 16 - no question. But it hangs below my belly button [emoji45]

I vote for the 20, which you can wrap as a 10. For myself don’t see the point of two tens as I like the short necklace doubled.

Either way can’t go wrong!

Reactions: Hobbiezm
If I were taller I would get the 16 - no question. But it hangs below my belly button [emoji45]

I vote for the 20, which you can wrap as a 10. For myself don’t see the point of two tens as I like the short necklace doubled.

Either way can’t go wrong!

Thanks Doloresmia! At 5ft 5, I am worried about length - my kind SA told me that the Magic would have to be worn double and is more appropriate for the evening.

I feel I’m ready to pull the trigger on something from VCA - but choosing pieces to build a family of items is tough! I’ll go to the boutique and try a few magic pieces , the 20 MOP and also the perlee bracelet once more.

Thanks Doloresmia! At 5ft 5, I am worried about length - my kind SA told me that the Magic would have to be worn double and is more appropriate for the evening.

I feel I’m ready to pull the trigger on something from VCA - but choosing pieces to build a family of items is tough! I’ll go to the boutique and try a few magic pieces , the 20 MOP and also the perlee bracelet once more.
I’m 5’4 but definitely buying a 16: the yellow gold onyx, white/gray mop. I’m wearing it long and doubled. Good luck.

Reactions: BBC and Hobbiezm
I love the 16 but am too short to wear it.
Not a huge fan of it doubled. Too busy looking on my 5’1” frame.
If you get the two 10’s you will have many options. A single 10 (short) the look of a 20 (long), and should you like the look of the 20 wrapped twice, wearing two 10’s won’t shift.
You can wrap them around your wrist several times and have s bracelet.
Very versatile.

Hi, i have 16 and i must agree with texasgirliegirl, two 10's will be more versatile.

Dear Texasgirliegirl ( how awesome is that name especially when I live in HTown) and VCA 21- thanks for your feedback. I am leaning towards the 10+10 combo for many reasons... the versatility, the price and also if I ever want to pass on to children it’s easy to have multiple pieces. I must try on the 11 though before I decide - I see the post below and it’s incredible as well!

Ok NakedMosher- these pics are enablers indeed!!! It’s stunning especially looped twice. Reason I am hesitant- I attended the year end dinner by VCA and most of the lovely ladies were showcasing Magic collection. I was in love and my SA told me for evening wear , the magic is eye catching but versatility might be at the vintage. I love how it showcases your highlights and it looks lovely on you. I have dark hair - and am thinking of pulling the plug and investing in 2 or 3 pieces all together. Another lovely
Person on the forum said - in buying shoes or bags, the money spent could have easily gone towards jewelry that lasts a lifetime!

Thanks again - taking Mod shots is always appreciated by not just me but by so many on the forum!
The 11 motif magic is one of my favorite VCA pieces and will be my next purchase for sure. To me it looks a bit more contemporary but is extremely wearable either Long or doubled. Happy to add these enabling pics too! Good luck with your decision!

View attachment 3915400

View attachment 3915401

This is a tough one, as don't think you can go wrong. I love, love, love my 16 tricolor and am only 5'4". It's definitely more dressy. I have a 10 and a 5 that I usually wear together, but I often wish it was a 20. I'm OCD so the clasp showing always drives me a little batty internally.
I love the 11, and nakedmosher2of3 wears it so beautifully! I also wish I'd bought that instead of my 10. I guess it's a sure sign I'm getting older: I love longer necklaces now and the bigger the stones, the better LOL!

If you are only going to get one set, get the two tens.

But there is something to be said for the 16-motif. I have it in the YG, gray/white MOP with onyx combo and it makes me smile every time I wear it. I even wear it with my YG MOP 10-motif or my YG Onyx 20-motif. I’m 5’1.5”. When I do this, I wear very simple clean lined clothing, e.g. The Row, Brunello Cuccinelli sweaters or dresses.

This is a tough one, as don't think you can go wrong. I love, love, love my 16 tricolor and am only 5'4". It's definitely more dressy. I have a 10 and a 5 that I usually wear together, but I often wish it was a 20. I'm OCD so the clasp showing always drives me a little batty internally.
I love the 11, and nakedmosher2of3 wears it so beautifully! I also wish I'd bought that instead of my 10. I guess it's a sure sign I'm getting older: I love longer necklaces now and the bigger the stones, the better LOL!

Thanks so much for your input- the 11 is something I haven’t had the opportunity to wear or try on but when making the final decision I’ll def take it into account.

If you are only going to get one set, get the two tens.

But there is something to be said for the 16-motif. I have it in the YG, gray/white MOP with onyx combo and it makes me smile every time I wear it. I even wear it with my YG MOP 10-motif or my YG Onyx 20-motif. I’m 5’1.5”. When I do this, I wear very simple clean lined clothing, e.g. The Row, Brunello Cuccinelli sweaters or dresses.

There is something so uniquely beautiful about layering pieces on a simple background. I prefer neutral colors and lines - so your advice is greatly appreciated