Food Those delicious Springerle - who also knows them and loves them?

Traminer

Markgraf von Baden-Baden
Dec 28, 2014
These are Springerle:

Springerle is a type of South German biscuit or cookie with an embossed design made by pressing a mold onto rolled dough and allowing the impression to dry before baking. This preserves the detail of the surface pattern. While historical molds show that springerle were baked for religious holidays and secular occasions throughout the year, they are now most commonly associated with the Christmas season.

The name springerle translates literally as "little jumper" or "little knight", but its exact origin is unknown. It may refer the popular motif of a jumping horse in the mold, or just to the rising or "springing up" of the dough as it bakes.

The origin of the cookie can be traced back to at least the 14th century in southwestern Germany and surrounding areas, mostly in Swabia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springerle

Why do I bring this topic up now, when Springerle are mainly Christmas cookies?

Well, we have kept some.
And I have enjoyed one with my coffee today.

• Love
Reactions: Sferics
@ about the molds

Molds are traditionally carved from wood, although plastic and pottery molds are also available. Pear wood is prized for its density and durability. Older handmade molds are folk art, are typically unsigned, and undated.

The stamping technique may be derived from the molds used in some Christian traditions to mark sacramental bread, and the earliest molds featured religious motifs, including scenes from Bible stories and Christian symbols.

Later, in the 17th and 18th century, heraldic themes of knights and fashionably dressed ladies became popular. Themes of happiness, love, weddings, and fertility remained popular through the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springerle

These molds are usually a tradition in the family.

Springerle are fantastic :heart:
Where I'm from, Christmas cookies are nearly mandatory in every family ;)
Springerle aren't my favourite from the taste point of view, but are sooooo beautiful.
They still fascinate me and every person who sees them.
I have a baked clay shaper with 6 motifs.

• Love
Reactions: Traminer