This season's caviar quality (on classic flaps)

Got my medium CF (black caviar, ghw) in 28 series, MIF,, the shine and puffiness is optimal in my opinion. This is the best one I could find in my visits to the local store during my stay. The first day, SA offered me with 2 CFs, series 287 and 288, but both have some flaws with leather e.g. minor scuffing, and both are quite matte. The next 2 days when I came back, both had been sold out. SA offered me other two 28 series CF, both I hardly found any flaws, one is exceptionally puffy (too much for my preference), still matte and its black colour is not intense enough in my opinion, the other is the one I took home :smile: I already got a 18b mini in black that the caviar is puffy, so this intense black, shiny, puffy enough caviar makes me happy :smile:

It’s beautiful! :loveeyes:

Reactions: hela
3AB9B736-5322-4D09-80DE-FD380D52D0ED.jpeg
Hey there !! This picture is of a 26 series on the left and a 28 series (mine) on the right , compared AFTER my purchase at my local boutique months later . The 26 series was a beautiful sturdy matte caviar , where as my 28 series is very much more plastic and soft feeling . I just purchased the 28 series bag back in January of 2020 and feel like I’ve had nothing but problems with this 28 series. It just doesn’t feel as substantial as the matte heavy caviar . I feel like I got a dud of a handbag . I only looked at this one bag and purchased it without looking at every last single detail, in the boutique in San Francisco. It’s already been sent to Chanel After-Sales team, regarding the dent / warping on the inside front flap pocket that I noticed right out of the box to only be told it’s all up to Chanel “ Standards” . I don’t understand what quality standards they are holding these to but it does not hold up to being a bag with a price tag of over $7,100.00 . I feel like it was manhandled by the After-Sales team, especially the top flap . It wrinkles SO BADLY on the back on the bag now when opened , which it never did before , and I’m assuming it’s caused by the After-Sales team examining the whole bag for issues and opening it up widely. It’s like compared to cracking open a brand new book and hearing the spine snap . There is horrible creasing and wrinkled quilting along the back of the bag now . They also packaged by bag with the chain straps wrapped in paper ( good idea ) but wrapped them tightly to the bag with tissue paper applying pressure to the top quilts when I opened them they were basically flat, I had to work them back into place and now the zipper inside is like folding into itself from said pressure .
Sure my initial problem was “fixed” and the After-Sales team deemed everything to be up to “Chanel” standards . I have only had this bag for 8 months and used it maybe 5 times , the plastic is still on the hardware . What choice do I have at this point ? It has not been the full year but Chanel has basically said there’s nothing wrong with it . What can I do ? Thoughts ?9D9238F6-7629-420C-8289-8C1404006FC3.jpeg
BE22C607-9ECB-4BDA-B206-A7A1B9DBC5B1.jpeg

Update:
(Year: Series): caviar observations
  • 2011-2012: dull, some flattened quilts
  • 2013-2014 (Series 20xxx, 0's have strike throughs. 1's have small serifs (feet)): color transferred to fabric
  • 2015-2016 (Series 21xxx +)
  • 2016-2017 (Series 22xxx +): peeling (!) - I saw this on some other threads too
  • 2017-2018 (Series 25xxx +): so far, so good!
  • 2018-2019 (Series 26xxx +): Made in Italy vs. Made in France differences (this is a big deal IMO... I think this is the first year I started seeing CLASSIC FLAPS made in Italy); Differences in stiffness, shininess, color saturation (some black bags look 'dark grey'), weight
  • 2019- (Series 27xxx +): Made in Italy vs. Made in France differences
Series info taken from https://www.yoogiscloset.com/authenticate/chanel

NOTE:
1. It's best to go into the store to see and feel the bag yourself (of course) to determine what you like
2. My hope when starting this thread was just to track observations from other Chanel lovers so I had some idea of a) what to look out for and b) maybe there was a common issue in that season's caviar
Just want to keep this useful thread updated.
2020: Series 29 caviar grain is bigger and shiner than series 30.
On photo: 30 on the left and 29 on the right.
(Photo credit: Eni Ho in Timeless Galery facebook group)

Attachments

• A9024CBA-F9F4-4297-9993-D7012C214FE0.jpeg
    A9024CBA-F9F4-4297-9993-D7012C214FE0.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 151
Does the caviar vary from season to season, not just the year? For example, how does 20B caviar compare to the other 20 seasons?
Yes, it varies from season to season. I have several items from 25 series, some are 18P and some are 18S, they are very very different. Same year but totally different textures, one (P caviar) is more flat and the other (S caviar) is puffy. And it's different from a seasonal bag vs. a classic bag. HTH!!

Reactions: Lulumelons
Just want to keep this useful thread updated.
2020: Series 29 caviar grain is bigger and shiner than series 30.
On photo: 30 on the left and 29 on the right.
(Photo credit: Eni Ho in Timeless Galery facebook group)
I was told by my SA that classics have bigger grains and seasonals have smaller grains. She brought out a seasonal black mini woc and a classic woc for me to compare, sure enough the mini woc has smaller grains, and the classic woc bigger. Same for the seasonal colored classic flaps vs the black classic flaps.

This is my 29 series black caviar M w SHW. I rejected the first one the SA showed me but this one seemed pretty even, puffy, not too shiny.

I noticed the interior lining isn't super flush against the bag bottom (air pocket issue) but honestly, I wonder if that's because I've only used it twice and carry hardly anything.

I don't have any other caviar bags to compare this one against but I think it seems ok? Got about a week left if I want to return it.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 177
This is my 29 series black caviar M w SHW. I rejected the first one the SA showed me but this one seemed pretty even, puffy, not too shiny.

I noticed the interior lining isn't super flush against the bag bottom (air pocket issue) but honestly, I wonder if that's because I've only used it twice and carry hardly anything.

I don't have any other caviar bags to compare this one against but I think it seems ok? Got about a week left if I want to return it.
It’s not super shiny but it looks fine to me. Enjoy!

Series 30 (2020) Beige Clair has some problems with flatter and matter quilts on the flap comparing to the rest of the bag (happened to some members’ bags in this forum including mine). Luckily I was able to exchange it to a 31 series one that doesn’t have this problem, the quilts are not super puffy though.

68A6A069-EC9A-489E-8CF9-D006CE149A3E.jpeg

Reactions: Lulumelons
Hi, do you own a CF from 19 series?

I do have a black cav cf from 20 series. It’s held up really well, no peeling or anything, occasionally I use leather conditioner on it because it can get dry. 14series black caviar cf jumbo though... feels super luxurious, has a really nice sheen to the caviar, the lamb interior is super buttery.

14series beige cav jumbo a little dry, looks a little dull.. T.T
25 series (18s beige) really nice sheen and puffs, nice to run fingers over but lamb interiour needs leather conditioner.

• Love
Reactions: Myybags and fdc
Series 30 (2020) Beige Clair has some problems with flatter and matter quilts on the flap comparing to the rest of the bag (happened to some members’ bags in this forum including mine). Luckily I was able to exchange it to a 31 series one that doesn’t have this problem, the quilts are not super puffy though.

View attachment 4997453

Pretty shade! But u are right the diamonds on the flap looks a little flat. Do you have pictures of the one you returned?