This or that? Help me choose a new bag

pinkfoxxy

Oct 16, 2013
Hey ladies

I can't stop thinking about which bag should I take or if I should take a specific bag.
I'm talking about these:

Prada Saffiano Mini
I love the size and the fact that it is a carefree bag. But I recently saw a preloved one that was just 2 years old and it looked horrible. I don't plan to wear this bag on a regular basis, i definitely want to rotate. However I've read that some ppl complained about quality issues even though their bags weren't used that much.
Thinking about that, it kind of hurts a bit paying ~1500$ for her. Unfortunately I can't find that bag on the preloved market.
IMG_1491330731.570146.jpg
IMG_1491330763.538274.jpg

Gucci Disco Soho

Cute bag, the size is nice too. But what I love about bags is their hardware. It shouldn't be too much but it als shouldn't be almost non existent. Also the gold appears to be more a light gold, which I dont like. But I could add a bag charm. Maybe it looks better with it?

IMG_1491331532.154815.jpg

• LV Alma BB

Super cute bag. I still have to think about if I should buy her (since I want my bags to match my wardrobe as well) and when I should buy her. LV first and then one of the above or the other way round?

IMG_1491331822.535785.jpg

I prefer the Prada bag but all the stories about the quality kind of keep me away from it.
What would you choose? Or do you have any other suggestions?

TIA

It doesn't seem to me from reading your post that you're in love with any of these choices, so if I were you I'd keep looking. Something will grab you :smile: Good luck!

I'm in love with a lot of bags but can't and don't want to buy them cause most of them would end up in their dust bags - unworn.
It has to suit my lifestyle and it has to be versatile. I love the Alma BB and I'd immediately go to the store and buy her, but chances are high that after a few days I'm gonna say "oh why didn't I buy a black bag with GHW at first"
I do love the Prada too, it's just the quality issues that bother me.

I'm in love with a lot of bags but can't and don't want to buy them cause most of them would end up in their dust bags - unworn.
It has to suit my lifestyle and it has to be versatile. I love the Alma BB and I'd immediately go to the store and buy her, but chances are high that after a few days I'm gonna say "oh why didn't I buy a black bag with GHW at first"
I do love the Prada too, it's just the quality issues that bother me.
Ok, in that case maybe add something about your lifestyle and the features that you find useful? Your budget too? Which bags do you have that don't work for you and why? With a bit more info you should get some helpful suggestions.

Ok, in that case maybe add something about your lifestyle and the features that you find useful? Your budget too? Which bags do you have that don't work for you and why? With a bit more info you should get some helpful suggestions.

Alright :smile: well, I'm currently just looking for smaller/mini bags .. as the ones above. Preferably in black and with GHW, no patent leather or any delicate leather type.
It has to be a bag that I can wear crossbody and that is more casual so no Chanel, Gucci Marmont, Chloe Drew etc.
I currently don't own a bag that doesn't work for me.

I like the look of the Prada the best but can't see spending that kind of money for it if it's made in China. I also never liked the look of LV leather. It looks plastic-ish to me. I guess you'll have to get the Gucci.:flowers:

Reactions: papertiger
I like the look of the Prada the best but can't see spending that kind of money for it if it's made in China. I also never liked the look of LV leather. It looks plastic-ish to me. I guess you'll have to get the Gucci.:flowers:

I've heard about that. Does it now say "made in china" on the inner tag?

Here's my 5 cents as I own or have seriously looked at all of these bags.

PRADA MINI
Pros: I have a mini Prada double zip which seems to be somewhat similar to what you're looking at and absolutely love it!! It's so easy to wear! The zip sections are perfect for my wallet and other items I want to keep secure and the open compartment provides easy access to other items like sunglasses or my phone. Plus, the saffiano leather is completely carefree. I purchased a small in a different color just because I loved the mini so much Despite owning and regularly using both for a few years now, they both look new and I haven't had any problems. Perhaps this is because both bags were made in Italy??
Cons: Resale is not the best on these. They will lose their value.

GUCCI SOHO DISCO
Pros: This is a gorgeous bag with nice sleek lines. It looks great with almost every outfit. Gucci has amazing quality. The rectangular size holds a good amount comfortably. I owned the mini version of this and sold it because it was just too small. I wish I had gotten the regular disco instead.
Cons: I've heard it's being phased out in favor of the Marmont (you may want to confirm in the Gucci forum.) So it could look dated or lose value pretty significantly on the resale market.

It does have the light gold hardware that you don't care for. Also this bag has a tassel so IMHO I think a bag charm may be too much.

LV ALMA BB
Pros: This bag is adorable. I have come within a hair's breadth of buying this bag several times. I love that it comes in so many materials that you can get the exact look you want. You could get this in black epi or black vernis (but I think these have silver hardware). LV bags hold their value well so as long as you take care of the bag you should expect to get a good portion of your money back if you sell (of course certain materials will hold value better than others)
Cons: I can be a bit of a challenge fitting your items in and retrieving them. I think one TPF'r called it playing Alma BB Tetris. LOL!

Hope this helps. Of the three, my votes would go to the Prada mini or the LV Alma BB. I think you aren't satisfied with the Gucci soho considering you're already thinking of trying to dress it up with a charm.

Happy shopping and let us know what you pick. :smile:

447632_DRW1T_1000_001_067_0038_Light-GG-Marmont-matelass-shoulder-bag.jpg The Disco only comes in classic colours ATM, but maybe you wanted black anyway... Of the 3 it seems the best choice. I have a Disco and actually love it has little hardware (but I do like good haw on a bag and Gucci is fantastic at hw). I have no experience of exact Prada or LV bag but I like the Alma shape.

Just thinking you may like the Gucci Marmont Matelasse (above) @Sparkletastic mentioned (camera or flap style but presuming camera), mini is 18cm wide and the reg is 24cm wide. Similar shape, it has more noticeable hw than the Disco and the darker brass colour you prefer.

View attachment 3657487 The Disco only comes in classic colours ATM, but maybe you wanted black anyway... Of the 3 it seems the best choice. I have a Disco and actually love it has little hardware (but I do like good haw on a bag and Gucci is fantastic at hw). I have no experience of exact Prada or LV bag but I like the Alma shape.

Just thinking you may like the Gucci Marmont Matelasse (above) @Sparkletastic mentioned (camera or flap style but presuming camera), mini is 18cm wide and the reg is 24cm wide. Similar shape, it has more noticeable hw than the Disco and the darker brass colour you prefer.

Appreciate your suggestion, thank you!
The Marmont is beautiful but not casual enough because of the chain parts and the fact that they are gold. It's more of a dressy bag IMO and reminds me of my Chanel Square Mini in lambskin. I think the leather of the Gucci is delicate too. This is why I didn't consider the Sac de Jour in nano size (perfect size and beautiful bag) bc I don't want to be bothered by any scratches and marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: papertiger
I would personally stay away from Prada. Their quality is often sub-par. My friend had tons of quality issues with her saffiano bag (bigger size then the one you posted). She finally got so frustrated with the poor quality that she got rid of the bag.

Appreciate your suggestion, thank you!
The Marmont is beautiful but not casual enough because of the chain parts and the fact that they are gold. It's more of a dressy bag IMO and reminds me of my Chanel Square Mini in lambskin. I think the leather of the Gucci is delicate too. This is why I didn't consider the Sac de Jour in nano size (perfect size and beautiful bag) bc I don't want to be bothered by any scratches and marks.
I have tried on the Gucci marmont camera bag at the boutique and it goes really well with casual outfit. ( I was wearing jeans and plain t-shirt with sneakers) I think this bag is versatile and can be dressed down or glam up. The chain is antique gold so it's not so loud.
As for the leather, I feel that the leather on the camera bag is sturdier than the flap bag, though they are made from the same kind of leather.

I have tried on the Gucci marmont camera bag at the boutique and it goes really well with casual outfit. ( I was wearing jeans and plain t-shirt with sneakers) I think this bag is versatile and can be dressed down or glam up. The chain is antique gold so it's not so loud.
As for the leather, I feel that the leather on the camera bag is sturdier than the flap bag, though they are made from the same kind of leather.
I agree, I think the Gucci Marmont camera bag is more versatile then the Soho Disco bag. I see the Disco bag as a strictly casual bag while I have seen the Marmont worn well both dressy and casual. I also think it overall looks nicer then the Disco bag.