This may be why you just bought your Louis Vuitton bag...

"PS4: is a video game system"

Snort

Sorry everyone, sorry. Backing out now. Anyone have that Homer Simpson gif of him backing into the bushes?

Haha!! That would have been so amazing right now! I just pictured that gif! And SNORT! I mean: amazing! 😂

4pMX5rJ4PYAEM.gif

I do disagree and I'm not hearing about any statistical significance. Anyone can say "based on studies..." And find any study to back their beliefs! My point is to be careful and for everyone to educate themselves. It seems to me more of a self esteem issue that these women are saying - or these scientists are interpreting rather - that women buy expensive bags to fend off other women. That's sad. I'm not surprised though! I'll happily go about purchasing my LV and not think about some female in the bushes ready to steal my husband lol.

I think you made a great point. There most likely is an underlying self esteem or trust issue going on with the women in this study who felt the need to whip out the "the big bags"so to say when they felt threatened. The key (atleast its the key to me) is the fact that they felt "threatened" in the first place. It makes sense that a woman who so easily feels threatened about their man would feel like they need to pull out a material object in order to one up and prove to their perceived opponent that they are above them because they own a fancier status symbol, which is twisted in itself.

I dont know about other women but I honestly dont even worry not even a tiny bit about women flirting with my husband or my husband meeting a lady with a Birkin and prancing off into the 5th avenue sunset. Example; my hubby travels for work often. He is at bars alone in cities in a different state often, he has had to share corporate housing with another female coworker. Was I hiding in the closet with my chanel chain hobo? Nope! Were me and my chanel chain hobo hiding behind one of those tall tree corner plants at the bar? Nope! Should I be? I dont think so!

This study really just reminds me of a western gun fight outside of a bar but in this case I picture a purse fight outside of a piano and cocktail lounge with one woman holding a Chanel Jumbo and the other holding a Chanel mini flap, my money is on the jumbo for sure.

I'm glad you posted this, fabuleux! I enjoy reading about the intersection of the luxury goods market and other topics (such as psychology, economics, etc.). While I doubt many women would admit to consciously purchasing luxury goods as a means of marking their territory, it's virtually impossible for us identify all of the unconscious factors that drive our decisionmaking. I will admit that the article made me chuckle, mostly because I imagine that other women would be more (rather than less) attracted to my husband upon discovering that he is willing and able to purchase LV bags. Of course, if my husband ever buys me one, I will report back immediately as to the effect it has on other women! 😂

+1 next time someone checks out hubby I will start flinging my LV around so they back off. Lol

Hahah that's good i will it do the same .. If a woman looks at him i will cover his face with my louis vuitton bag hahaha and for a better protection i will always carry two louis vuittons with me just to have a stronger signal to other women haha[emoji2][emoji2]

ANYWAY... It was probably a mistake to post this on TPF. To be honest, I was hoping people would read this with an open mind. Maybe chime in with a little "that's interesting! I never considered that!" If I were lucky, someone may discuss other sources and articles. There are many out there! Just check out JSTOR!

Maybe I am just a hopeless academic who lives in a world of anti-intellectualism. Maybe I buy Louis Vuitton because "I just want nice stuff. And that's all. Period. No alternative. No discussion allowed."

You commonly present the counterpoint when others share an idea or opinion in a new post. Shocked you retreated in this way after a couple of dismissive posts. I happen to find the research interesting whether or not it applicable to me. Always interested in new thought leadership. Funny to hear someone mention jstor on TPF. lol.

i'm glad you posted this, fabuleux! I enjoy reading about the intersection of the luxury goods market and other topics (such as psychology, economics, etc.). While i doubt many women would admit to consciously purchasing luxury goods as a means of marking their territory, it's virtually impossible for us identify all of the unconscious factors that drive our decisionmaking. I will admit that the article made me chuckle, mostly because i imagine that other women would be more (rather than less) attracted to my husband upon discovering that he is willing and able to purchase lv bags. Of course, if my husband ever buys me one, i will report back immediately as to the effect it has on other women! [emoji23]

+1,000,000

I think the results ring true. Look at how often "gift from the hubby" are interjected in reveals or bag stories. There's absolutely nothing wrong with expressing appreciation for a nice gift from your spouse. But as the study suggests, it could be a subconscious way of saying 'look how much he loves me, how good he treats me'. Of course no one can flirt with a man they don't know, but again, it's your subconscious, so the perceived threat could still be there.

I've always questioned the role of "DH" on this forum. I just find it hard to believe that some hubbies are in LV weekly picking out a new bag ("that I had been wanting"). Maybe it's that my DH doesn't give a damn, but I have always felt that some people make that part up. Like really... Your husband is in LV several times a month?

Reactions: BULL
Interesting article, but it may apply only to a smaller number of people. For example, some ladies would purchase "luxury goods" for themselves as they enjoy doing so. My old-fashion response to the article is that personally don't see myself in that category that requires to show off "luxury items to prevent other women from stealing their man", but simply I would beat the crap out of her/them to fully discourage them to come near my man and my "luxury goods".

I think you made a great point. There most likely is an underlying self esteem or trust issue going on with the women in this study who felt the need to whip out the "the big bags"so to say when they felt threatened. The key (atleast its the key to me) is the fact that they felt "threatened" in the first place. It makes sense that a woman who so easily feels threatened about their man would feel like they need to pull out a material object in order to one up and prove to their perceived opponent that they are above them because they own a fancier status symbol, which is twisted in itself.

I dont know about other women but I honestly dont even worry not even a tiny bit about women flirting with my husband or my husband meeting a lady with a Birkin and prancing off into the 5th avenue sunset. Example; my hubby travels for work often. He is at bars alone in cities in a different state often, he has had to share corporate housing with another female coworker. Was I hiding in the closet with my chanel chain hobo? Nope! Were me and my chanel chain hobo hiding behind one of those tall tree corner plants at the bar? Nope! Should I be? I dont think so!

This study really just reminds me of a western gun fight outside of a bar but in this case I picture a purse fight outside of a piano and cocktail lounge with one woman holding a Chanel Jumbo and the other holding a Chanel mini flap, my money is on the jumbo for sure.
Surely the best handbag to use as a weapon would be an Alexander Wang Rocco :lol: