THIS is why I don't ship to Canada.

trumanfinn

O.G.
Jul 31, 2009
I state in my listings that I don't ship to Canada (had a very small $7 item that was lost in the mail to Canada a few years ago) but I had a buyer email me yesterday asking if I would sell to him.

It wasn't a huge ticket item, a LV agenda, only $260, so I agreed.

First, I asked the ladies on LV lovers how to proceed. They told me to send Priority in a larger Priority box, because the small FRB cannot be tracked.

So, I went to the post office this morning to get a box. Waited in line...with two very bored children. Asked the postman what my best option would be to send a small item with $250 insurance that could be tracked. He said that you can't track a package to Canada, and you can't get signature confirmation either..which left me uneasy... But he said that I definitely could use a small flat rate box, and that in actuality, that would be my best bet.

So I got my frb, got my customs form, got my insurance form and dragged my kids to my husband's office to package the item all beautifully and fill out the form.

Now it's 1:20, I have an appointment at 2:00, which is within minutes of the post office.

Go back to the post office, wait in line with the kids, hand my package to the same guy, ask him to check my customs form and insurance to make sure I did it correctly.

He clicks and clicks and clicks....and then tells me, "Oh wait, it looks like you can't insure a Priority flat rate box, you can only insure a Priority box!" Ok...but I have it packaged beautifully, all wrapped up in the frb, every inch of the box wrapped in tape to protect the package from rain or a nuclear blast...and I have no packing supplies with me.

He hands me a giant Priority box, and says, "you'll have to put the small box in this one...oh, and for this one you need a DIFFERENT customs form, you need the LONG customs form..."

So..time is ticking, kids are getting restless, I go to the table, fill out a new customs form, relabel the bigger box (and I have NO tape to it shut or seal the edges) and he gives me a box of junky old shipping peanuts that people have left in the post office that I can use to fill the box.

I wait in line AGAIN.

It's 1:50 when it's my turn again. I give him the box...he has to painstakingly type the customs form...click click click...soooooo slow. Finally the package is ready to go... You may or may not want to imagine the behavior of two kids 3 and 6 after spending 40 minutes in a post office..lol

and the total??? $30! $30 to ship a teeny tiny item that weighs about 3 ounces to Canada with only $250 insurance. And no tracking number.

I left the post office at 2:02.

That's why I don't ship to Canada..lol:lol:

I feel your pain ... I only ship using Express for international, which gives you tracking. And yes, you do have to use the larger sized customs form for anything over $20, I think.

The last person I shipped to in Canada tried to pull one over on me and tell me that shipping would be $7. Thankfully I knew better and charged her $20. It was still $27 to ship a small item in a padded envelope. Ridiculous!

If it makes you feel any better---it costs us wayy more than that for us Canadians to ship to each other (within the country). It cost me over $9 to send a canvas pencil pouch (small one) to someone who lives two hours from me in the same province--and of course, there's no tracking, signature confirmation, or insurance. To send a small bottle of ink to someone in Vancouver (I live in Victoria, an island about two hours away by ferry), it cost me $13. Again, no tracking, sig confirm or insurance. Ridiculous.

I don't know why the people who work at the Post Office aren't better informed about their own services. USPS International Express includes both tracking and signature confirmation, as well as insurance up to a certain amount. Hopefully your buyer turns out to be honest though!

Is it possible that maybe you just had a bad experience with a postal worker that wasnt knowledgable? I sent my own louboutins to myslf in canada from the states- to avoid paying duty, i was in and out in 10 minutes, insured for $1200, and i believe it was less then the 30 you paid...

I state in my listings that I don't ship to Canada (had a very small $7 item that was lost in the mail to Canada a few years ago) but I had a buyer email me yesterday asking if I would sell to him.

It wasn't a huge ticket item, a LV agenda, only $260, so I agreed.

First, I asked the ladies on LV lovers how to proceed. They told me to send Priority in a larger Priority box, because the small FRB cannot be tracked.

So, I went to the post office this morning to get a box. Waited in line...with two very bored children. Asked the postman what my best option would be to send a small item with $250 insurance that could be tracked. He said that you can't track a package to Canada, and you can't get signature confirmation either..which left me uneasy... But he said that I definitely could use a small flat rate box, and that in actuality, that would be my best bet.

So I got my frb, got my customs form, got my insurance form and dragged my kids to my husband's office to package the item all beautifully and fill out the form.

Now it's 1:20, I have an appointment at 2:00, which is within minutes of the post office.

Go back to the post office, wait in line with the kids, hand my package to the same guy, ask him to check my customs form and insurance to make sure I did it correctly.

He clicks and clicks and clicks....and then tells me, "Oh wait, it looks like you can't insure a Priority flat rate box, you can only insure a Priority box!" Ok...but I have it packaged beautifully, all wrapped up in the frb, every inch of the box wrapped in tape to protect the package from rain or a nuclear blast...and I have no packing supplies with me.

He hands me a giant Priority box, and says, "you'll have to put the small box in this one...oh, and for this one you need a DIFFERENT customs form, you need the LONG customs form..."

So..time is ticking, kids are getting restless, I go to the table, fill out a new customs form, relabel the bigger box (and I have NO tape to it shut or seal the edges) and he gives me a box of junky old shipping peanuts that people have left in the post office that I can use to fill the box.

I wait in line AGAIN.

It's 1:50 when it's my turn again. I give him the box...he has to painstakingly type the customs form...click click click...soooooo slow. Finally the package is ready to go... You may or may not want to imagine the behavior of two kids 3 and 6 after spending 40 minutes in a post office..lol

and the total??? $30! $30 to ship a teeny tiny item that weighs about 3 ounces to Canada with only $250 insurance. And no tracking number.

I left the post office at 2:02.

That's why I don't ship to Canada..lol:lol:

On behalf on all Canadians, thanks for your efforts!! I always appreciate when a seller is willing to ship to me :smile:

It drives me UP THE WALL that it's cheaper for us to ship to the States than it is to ship within the country! How does that make any sense, lol?!

Great..I had no idea! Why doesn't ebay tell you this stuff when you complete a sale???
So, even after spending $30 and paying for insurance, I'm not covered because I didn't use Express Mail International??? I didn't even know that existed!

Well, Canadian shipping may be pricey, but hopefully your Canadian postal workers aren't doofuses!

I have had trouble with this guy in the past...my husband shipped Steelers tickets to a guy across the state on a Monday for a Thursday game. My hubby told him that it was tickets and that the guy needed them ASAP, and this postal worker told hubby to send them First Class. When the buyer called on Friday, I asked my husband for the receipt, and it said First Class Mail..I almost died!

And I had to fight with him once to convince him that you send a Priority package with Signature Confirmation AND insurance. Oh, and once I bought a Signature Confirmation, and he asked me if I wanted to "waive" the signature! lol

Postal workers...sheesh...

I had to ship an item to Canada recently. I just sent it first class, and prayed. Even though I thought I blocked Canada in my settings, a quick check of buyer's feedback eased my mind a bit. It arrived safely and all was well. By the way, ..............did you make your 2:00 appointment? :giggles:

If you ship ExpressMail EMS, insurance is free for the first $100. I only used EMS for international packages, peace of mind for me and the buyer and no one will try to pull a fast one when you can prove that they already signed for the package.

I use paypal to print my labels for ebay
I find it easier but I do have a postal scale to weigh my packages
When you print labels online you get a free working tracking number for USPS Priority Mail International and then you can take it to the post office to get insurance. It also comes with a small amount of indemnity coverage depending on weight. I think its about $60 if the package is 1lb. Also, I noticed that shipping cost goes by 1lb incriments when I pay online, so if it is 1lb 6oz it cost the same as 2lbs. And you fill out the customs form online and print it up and you just need the plastic envelope to paste it on the box and you can order it from usps.com for free.
NEVER USE FLAT RATE BOXES OR ENVELOPES FOR INTERNATIONAL!!!! I learned it the hard way. I used a flat rate envelope to ship a tshirt internationally and the number on it is not actually a working tracking number. It showed that the package was accepted but nothing after that. The buyer opened a case and ended up winning because there was no proof it was delivered. I had no idea if it was in customs or if it was actually lost or if the buyer got the shirt after he opened the case and didnt say anything. I ended up losing the tshirt, purchase price of the tshirt, and the cost of shipping. Flat Rate cannot be tracked or insured and there is no indemnity coverage so you SOL if the buyer opens a case.
I haven't had problems with USPS Priority International losing any packages since then but they have been slow at delivering some of the packages. I've had a lot of buyer ask about cheaper shipping options and I always decline letting them know I've lost packages using other methods so I won't ship that way.

I have had trouble with this guy in the past...my husband shipped Steelers tickets to a guy across the state on a Monday for a Thursday game. My hubby told him that it was tickets and that the guy needed them ASAP, and this postal worker told hubby to send them First Class. When the buyer called on Friday, I asked my husband for the receipt, and it said First Class Mail..I almost died!

And I had to fight with him once to convince him that you send a Priority package with Signature Confirmation AND insurance. Oh, and once I bought a Signature Confirmation, and he asked me if I wanted to "waive" the signature! lol

Postal workers...sheesh...

I feel your pain, trumanfinn.
I was treated and misleaded badly many times by all different postal workers. I really wanted to punch them. Not only they don't know what their services are, but also no willingness to serve people. Just plain rude. I second "SHEEESH!!