This close to getting a 2.55 tote in bronze--any downside

leem

O.G.
Dec 18, 2006
or reasoning against this bag? I only make a couple of high-end bag purchases a year and this may be my only one this year. I want a classic Chanel, but need a tote because of lifestyle (and I have 2 little dumplings). I have a black jumbo flap and black baby cabas, diamond shine bordeaux flap and outdoor ligne hobo. Any thoughts, hesitations, encouragement, etc...?? :biggrin:

Have you tried one on before? I have one (technically it's my mom's now), and I loved it for the first week or so, and the look of it. I wore mine for a few times out though and though it is beautiful, there are some cons- the shape is very thin so larger things can make the leather look misshapen (this is the biggest con for me). I found that I could rearrange my items to make the leather look flat but for me, I am a "dump things in bag and go" kind of girl- I can't spend that time making sure my bag looks good.

Also the chains slide around a lot- if you need to get something and put the bag on one shoulder, the entire bag will slide down. Not a big deal but i twas something I definitely noticed even after the first use.

Hope that helps!

There are a ton of threads about this fabulous tote - positive and only a few somewhat negative ones. I have this bag and believe it to be very classic and understated chic. The bronze color is really beautiful and goes with a lot of things (in my closet). The chain can be worn doubled or as one long single chain for a longer look.

The only downside I can see is that you can not overstuff it or it looks odd as the structure of the bag does not allow for stretching. I think a few of the other ladies may have mentioned something about slippage as well. Other than that, I say go for it. It is a great bag at a great price! Good Luck!

Since you have little ones, this quote of a post by Jill regarding the 255 Tote might be of interest to you. The quote is from a thread regarding the Twisted Tote or Hobo that just came out.

This is a quote:

I have BOTH the older portobello AND the bronze reissue tote!!LOL!
My portobello is tweed top so winter use only for me.Reissue tote always DUMPS out in my car (No zipper)and isnt quite big enough for all my stuff and the baby's.

I havent seen this bag IRL....i may have to take a trip to Short Hills

I have the tote in black and in terms of format I like the fact that it's thin. I already have the GST and this tote is perfect for 'lighter' days. If you tend to carry a lot with you I don't recommend this bag.

Also, I agree with kat99 about the chain sliding down when getting things in and out. You should definitely go to a boutique to try it.

The bronze colour is tdf! I have it in the 227 flap and it's gorgeous

The only thing that bugs me about my bronze tote is that it has NO ZIPPER top.Im always lugging the baby in and out of the car and it tends to dump out as I always have too much in it to snap it closed...BUT i adore it!!LOL!JUST not for a day out with the baby...KWIM?

I have the bronze tote. Love the look and really love the tote a lot....but...you cannot stuff this bag with lots of things. It is for carrying just a few basics items or it looks not good at all.

Plus, like others said, getting in and out of it the chains go all weird.

All in all, great bag for me...but I carry just a few items in it.

i love the 2.55 tote because its very lightweight as compared to the gst. And the plus factor for me is the strap which i can use messenger style if needed which i cannot do with the gst

The only downside I could think of is the narrow depth which others have pointed out. Other than that, the tote is perfect.

So in a sense, it is more suited for files and documents and less useful as a weekend shopping tote.

hmm actually if the shape/structure of the tote prevents us from putting too much in, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a tote? i have been waiting for a suitable chanel tote where i can just dump things in :smile:

which means it holds the same amount of stuff as a jumbo (such that you can close the clasp)?

I don't have it, but the pictures I've seen from this forum shows the tote to be mishapen when stuffed, thinly structured, open top and no back pocket so to speak.

I love this bag. I have it in black and I find it plenty big enough for everyday/work/casual shopping wear. I just don't like heavy bags and the biggest plus for me was this bag was chic and lightweight and comfy to wear! Really I think its fabulous.

hmm actually if the shape/structure of the tote prevents us from putting too much in, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a tote? i have been waiting for a suitable chanel tote where i can just dump things in :smile:

which means it holds the same amount of stuff as a jumbo (such that you can close the clasp)?
not exactly. it can carry more but lightweight stuff. for example, u can put a cardigan in the tote but not jumbo.