This Chanel looks like ...

Roku

Subscriptions Rock
O.G.
Jan 16, 2011
I have been trying to learn about this brand ever since I got obsessed with the pochettes (and ordered three now, heh). I love LOVE the Miss Dior bags. They are so elegant and there is something about the chain that looks so substantial.

When I last saw this limited edition Chanel released late last year I had to do a double take... looks a little familiar, or is it just me??

Attachments

• $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 934
  • $_57.jpeg
    $_57.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 927
I have been trying to learn about this brand ever since I got obsessed with the pochettes (and ordered three now, heh). I love LOVE the Miss Dior bags. They are so elegant and there is something about the chain that looks so substantial.

When I last saw this limited edition Chanel released late last year I had to do a double take... looks a little familiar, or is it just me??

Oh my gosh, Roku! You may be right. I do see some similarities.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1407993204.294507.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1407993240.418506.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1407993299.480797.jpg

(Pictures borrowed from previous posts)

The lock is definitely similar. I am surprised that Chanel didn't use their famous CC turnlock on this bag, and instead opted to use a broad metal lock like on the Miss Dior. The chain is surprisingly similar too.

View attachment 2719057
Chanel pulling a 'Michael Kors' on Dior.
The clasp looks cheap. I'm sorry but this could easily be mistaken for a fake.

They have a tendency to bring back bits and pieces of vintage models.

This was a limited release for Fall Winter 2013. It was called the Chanel Lambskin Flap Bag with Retro Chanel Clasp, Model A67972.

Some other views... It just looks so similar. Even the second color they picked. I don't know. The original vintage iteration of the chains were rounded and scored but this time they made it more rectangular

Attachments

• Chanel-lambskin-flap-bag-with-retro-Chanel-clasp-in-pink.jpg
    Chanel-lambskin-flap-bag-with-retro-Chanel-clasp-in-pink.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 830
  • Chanel-lambskin-flap-bag-with-retro-Chanel-clasp-in-black.jpg
    Chanel-lambskin-flap-bag-with-retro-Chanel-clasp-in-black.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 881
Chanel pulling a 'Michael Kors' on Dior.
The clasp looks cheap. I'm sorry but this could easily be mistaken for a fake.

Side note re: pulling an MK, it's not always bad. I kind of like Michael Kors and how they have generalized 'fancier' watches or bags.

I think it has done a blessing for many things needing to go under the radar. I have a Rolex Everose Daytona and I used to never be able to wear it. The Michael Kors did a major hit with a similar piece and everyone started wearing it, and now, I wear my Daytona all the time without worrying it will draw attention. More importantly, I can wear it casually without fear of being mugged.

The similarity is uncanny.

Back to topic though, Chanel MK'ing the Miss Dior is unexpected. I suspect that they were doing a "test drive" seeing how popular it was

Attachments

• _6414373.jpg
    _6414373.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 832
  • 573_1.jpg
    573_1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 786
Last edited:
I dislike how the chain is connected with leather at the end. It works for GST but it doesnt have the same effect on this bag, at least for me. If they use the chain on Reissue as oppose to this perhaps it will look more Chanel than Dior.

As for the 'Michael Kors' thing, there was this whole thread discussing the issue that I used to read to humor myself but I couldnt find it. Have they shut it down?

The matter of taste is personal opinion. There's no right or wrong.

I dislike how the chain is connected with leather at the end. It works for GST but it doesnt have the same effect on this bag, at least for me. If they use the chain on Reissue as oppose to this perhaps it will look more Chanel than Dior.

As for the 'Michael Kors' thing, there was this whole thread discussing the issue that I used to read to humor myself but I couldnt find it. Have they shut it down?

The matter of taste is personal opinion. There's no right or wrong.

Oh man, if you find the MK thread, can you let me know? I want to read it too! :yes: :smile:

Yes I am not a big fan. The center strap makes it casual. This is a very interesting hybrid of a flap. They use the rolo type scored chains and then this vintage style flap quilting with the edges smooth and then added ... the lock clasp which is just so bizarre.

And you have such a lovely eye, I totally agree with you, the leather strap kind of ruins it.

Honestly, I think they were trying to copy the MD without making it seem like they were!

Found it!

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/michael-kors-copies-other-designers-838346.html

(I actually just remembered averagejoe is an active contributor to the thread so I basically just clicked on his profile and went thru his posts to find the thread LOL)

Yes! :graucho:

I agree. His watches copy Rolex and Cartier a lot.

This is so true!! But I think it's great. As I mentioned, the daytona never came out of the box and was a lonely, lonely soul until MK "commodotized" the style into the mainstream market so now I can wear my watch without worry, carefree.

And averagejoe I love the GST example - looks exactly the same. But somehow that is tempting to me too. I want that bag (meaning, it looks desirable/scrumptious). Just weird... but I like MK. Every time I go to the mall I always spend like 20 minutes in there touching everything and trying bags on... I leave without any purchases (well sometimes one or two charms) but with so much fascination. Many luxury brands make so much crap nowadays that I'd rather buy an MK than a pleather (ok fine, "fine egyptian cotton canvas coated with proprietary substances") purse from LV for like $1,000...

Last edited:
Yes! :graucho:

This is so true!! But I think it's great. As I mentioned, the daytona never came out of the box and was a lonely, lonely soul until MK "commodotized" the style into the mainstream market so now I can wear my watch without worry, carefree.

And averagejoe I love the GST example - looks exactly the same. But somehow that is tempting to me too. I want that bag (meaning, it looks desirable/scrumptious). Just weird... but I like MK. Every time I go to the mall I always spend like 20 minutes in there touching everything and trying bags on... I leave without any purchases (well sometimes one or two charms) but with so much fascination. Many luxury brands make so much crap nowadays that I'd rather buy an MK than a pleather (ok fine, "fine egyptian cotton canvas coated with proprietary substances") purse from LV for like $1,000...

For me, it's more about Michael Kors claiming to be designer. When I think of designer, I think of someone who can create new, unique, and desirable pieces. It's hard to call Michael Kors a designer when most of what he does for his Michael Micheal Kors brand is copy other designers.

He should pay royalties to the brands that he copies. If he does that, then I'll be fine with the copying. But he's pocketing the income instead, making him one of the richest designers, even richer than the original designers who made those designs famous like Coco Chanel herself.

For me, it's more about Michael Kors claiming to be designer. When I think of designer, I think of someone who can create new, unique, and desirable pieces. It's hard to call Michael Kors a designer when most of what he does for his Michael Micheal Kors brand is copy other designers.

He should pay royalties to the brands that he copies. If he does that, then I'll be fine with the copying. But he's pocketing the income instead, making him one of the richest designers, even richer than the original designers who made those designs famous like Coco Chanel herself.

This is very true. :smile:

As a merchandiser and "store," I think MK is great.

As a designer, well, I don't think I ever thought of him as a designer. I think of MK as like an upscale Zara. They merchandise popular stylish designs very well.

And averagejoe - you seem like quite the design aficionado. I look forward to learning a ton from you

This is very true. :smile:

As a merchandiser and "store," I think MK is great.

As a designer, well, I don't think I ever thought of him as a designer. I think of MK as like an upscale Zara. They merchandise popular stylish designs very well.

And averagejoe - you seem like quite the design aficionado. I look forward to learning a ton from you

I agree! MK is like Zara, but with the latter, I almost expect them to copy other brands because they don't claim to be designer. MK is supposed to be a designer.

No I'm not really a design aficionado. I just don't like how Michael Kors himself got so rich from copying people's ideas.