thinner canvas

Aug 6, 2012
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a Speedy B a few days ago.
I was even pleasantly surprised that it was made in france.
Although, I noticed, the rivet on my wallet is too visible through the canvas, it forms through the canvas. Is that really how thin the canvas had gotten?

When members here say the older canvas is better, what year exactly?

When did the decline in quality start to be evident?

I have a delightful when it first came out (I think it was 2010), and I feel that even that was better, even though it wasn't too long ago.

needless to say, I'm still happy with my speedy B. I just ordered a purse to go organizer to help with the sagging, and maybe my stuff won't mold to the canvas as much.

Good question. My assumption is that there are few people who can properly answer the question, because it would require knowledge of LV probably dating back to the 80s and 90s, which are bags that are 20-30 years old. Of course unless someone prefers to purchase vintage and can weigh in.

Charlestonmom knows alot about vintage LV, maybe she'll stop by.

I was also waiting for them to fix the mismatched hardware, I was hoping it will improve eventually but the prices just kept going up without any notable change. I figured I might as well buy now and accept the fact that the hardware doesn't match.

People say its part of the design and easier for you to wear it crossbody. I prefer more substantial canvas so I chose the original speedy.

the empreinte and sc are thick leather and I think they function just fine. (not sure if it actually "molds" but perhaps the lack of sagging is actually a better design.)
I don't know how a thicker canvas would have interfered with how it's suppose to function, whether it molds or not..

the zipper also is a little hard to open when it sags. you kinda have to set the bag down to open it.

forget the lock that's suppose to be on the zipper. it's always in the way. I just hang it on the side.

i'm hoping my shaper will improve the overall function/design. I love the bag but it's different once you start using it.

I also noticed the same thing when I got mine 6 months ago. It's very dissapointing. My speedy from 2006 has such a nice thick canvas. I also hate the fact that the hardware is mismatched...considering the fact that the prices go up every year...not acceptable...

I also noticed the same thing when I got mine 6 months ago. It's very dissapointing. My speedy from 2006 has such a nice thick canvas. I also hate the fact that the hardware is mismatched...considering the fact that the prices go up every year...not acceptable...

I think I find it "acceptable" enough to shell out $1500 for it (including tax)
I'm complaining but I still really like it.
It's a little sad that I have to compromise a little here and there for something that costs that much...
what can I say, really... love is blind. lol.

When I bought my Speedy B 35 in DE, I compared it to a regular Speedy in DE and the regular Speedy had noticeably thicker canvas. The SA said that the Speedy B has thinner canvas to accommodate for the extra weight of the straps and hardware. Personally, I think they're just getting cheaper! I agree that it makes it harder to zip up the bag and it doesn't hold the traditional "speedy" shape as well when the canvas is so thin!

When I bought my Speedy B 35 in DE, I compared it to a regular Speedy in DE and the regular Speedy had noticeably thicker canvas. The SA said that the Speedy B has thinner canvas to accommodate for the extra weight of the straps and hardware. Personally, I think they're just getting cheaper! I agree that it makes it harder to zip up the bag and it doesn't hold the traditional "speedy" shape as well when the canvas is so thin!

if this was all about the added weight of the strap, or the way it molds when worn crossbody. is the thinning then, only specific to speedy B?

I bought mine the year it was released in 2011 and it wasn't thinner than regular ones.

so could that mean the decline in quality (if it's indeed a decline) occurred after 2011?

sometimes I wonder too if it's imaginary. I do feel that it's thinner but is that psychological because people her have mentioned it? had I not heard/known about it, would I notice?

sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

I bought my DE Speedy B 25 last year and my mono Speedy 25 this year. The canvas on the regular speedy is definitely thicker and stiffer than that of the speedy b. Maybe that is just part of the design, as others have mentioned? But I have to say, regarding the mismatched hardware - sometimes it drives me nuts to know the company can ensure the hardware is all the same on the Empreinte Speedy and yet the same care and attention is lacking in the speedy b.

if this was all about the added weight of the strap, or the way it molds when worn crossbody. is the thinning then, only specific to speedy B?

I don't think it's specific to Speedy B's, I was just sharing what the SA told me about that particular bag (mine is less than a year old). I was shocked but pleased that he admitted that the B's canvas is in fact thinner than the regular Speedy...then again, with both of us standing in the store feeling/comparing them he couldn't very well deny it! :lol: