Thinking of taking in a foreign student

bnjj

Jovi Junkie
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
I am thinking of taking in a foreign student studying here in Canada and was wondering if anyone has experience with this and could share their experince with me as I'm sure there are things I have not even thought of that would need to be considered before doing this.

Thanks.

Do you have the time to take them out, show them places, etc.? I had a friend who was a foreign exchange student who ended up with a very busy family. It was very sad for her because they ended up doing their own thing and leaving her alone a lot of the time, stranded in the suburbs. I would think the most important factor is how willing you are to put in the time, effort, and possibly extra money (although I think you get a small stipend) into entertaining the student.

It would be so nice of you to take one in if you could! Best wishes.

I have good friends, a married couple, who have a wonderful 1930s craftsman-style home. There is a complete upstairs apartment with its own living quarters, small stove/range, fridge, separate outside entrance, you name it. They've hosted a few exchange students over the years and it's worked out well for them, but that's because the students they've hosted have been super independent, comfortable taking the bus to their classes, living on their own with not much interaction. They love the time spent with their exchange students, but by nature the students would rather be with their friends and in the city rather than spending time at "home."

So, I guess it depends on the amount of time you are willing to invest in showing your student around, getting them acclimated to local customs, etc etc. I think it's a fabulous thing to do!

Thanks guys. It's a lot to consider and I've got to give it some more thought.

I spoke to the agency on the weekend and they were ready to place someone here on Wednesday. Whoa. That's way too soon for me.

One issue is that I only have 1.5 bathrooms so the student would not be able to have their own bathroom.

Also, I have two cats who are incredibly scared of people - they are 10 and 7 and no one in my family has ever seen them. I've had guests for 3 day long weekends that have never seen the cats so I think this might be too stressful for them.

So much to think about.

Jillybean, when you come and study in Canada, I have a room for you!!

Last edited:
What school are you close to out of curiousity? My faculty offers an exchange program but we are required to find our own housing but I think if you go through the university instead of the faculty they offer some help.

The school may offer to put you in contact with someone who has done it in the past and can give you an idea of what to expect. Just remember that university students are crazy busy depending on what faculty they are in so they don't need to be overwhelmed with sightseeing.

I was an exchange student when I was in highschool and I preferred it to do things with my friends but occasionally it was nice to do something with the whole exchange family. Important to me was that we had one meal a day together.
My normal family was a host family for years and we just loved it. We had about 5 exhnage students over the years. It doesn't matter that the exchange student doesn't have his/her own batroom and I'm sure they don't expect it. Just live your life like you always do and integrate him/her and all will be fine.
I will definetely take in an exchange student once our son is in highschool.

What school are you close to out of curiousity? My faculty offers an exchange program but we are required to find our own housing but I think if you go through the university instead of the faculty they offer some help.

The school may offer to put you in contact with someone who has done it in the past and can give you an idea of what to expect. Just remember that university students are crazy busy depending on what faculty they are in so they don't need to be overwhelmed with sightseeing.

I'm in Edmonton and we have the University of Alberta.

I would not take a highschool student but am considering taking a university student and the agency I am working with does not place any students under the age of 21.

I am now thinking of putting this on hold until I can get my basement finished so the student could have more of their own space with, hopefully, their own bath.

yes i do. a very close friend of mine has parents that regularly care for foreign kids. they said it's for the money but their very well-off. i think they enjoy it, and the kids have made for great company.

first off, you have to care for them (which you get compensated for). that includes making sure they have a decent place to sleep, and their eating on time, etc. you know, the essentials.

but from my friends experience, it's been great company. really brings the place to life. and you'll be surprised how different the attitudes are in other countries. really puts things into perspective.

What you might do is see if the school needs volunteers to help host things like orientation teas, or other exchange student events, if you know any languages, maybe offer to be a tutor, or if you have other skills, areas of expertise, volunteer mentors, or you could even organize a thing where people volunteer to take exchange students with them on Take Your Kid to Work Day, there are all kinds of things that you could do to help contribute to the program, enrichment, variety etc for peoples' experiences.

That way you would be able to meet students from different places, and get to know host families, and get a better idea of just how big a commitment you feel equipped or inclined to make.

At the very least, you would get to meet people from interesting places and have some fun!

My friend was an exchange student from Gemany and came to California for a year. I know her host family put in a lot of time and energy with her here. They were great to her and she was so thankful. The don't need to give her money or whatever, but they always gave her lunch money and money to go out as well. (They really didn't have to, they were soooo kind!!) My Mom is planning on hosting an international student as well. Her girlfriend works at Berkeley accepting international students into Berkley and the both have agreed to take on an international college student because they are more mature and are easier because they are an adult. My Mom won't need to home work help (or feel obligated to), no need for curfews, and she won't have to drive them to school and sports etc. Plus my Mom says she doesn't want to deal with the crazy hormones of a teenager and wants to be able to hold intullectual college (and post college) conversations with her exchange student.

I came here as a foreign student. If I didn't have family, I would've loved that experience instead of relying on my school completely to house me and stuff. Where would I go if things that I can't handle or need help in occur? You know, situations like where you turn to family but you have none here? I know I'd be grateful to have someone to turn to regardless if my questions are answered or not. It's knowing that you have support somewhere. It's knowing you have a home somehow somewhat somewhere. I commend all those that do this! It's not easy but people like me are very grateful for what you guys do.

You need to lay down some rules from what I heard, a friend is into this "business" for fun. Curfew times, meal times, a charge for replacement of lost keys, etc. You can interview and get the best candidate and then they change for the worse.