Thinking of getting a dog--need help-is this the right time?

mm16

Loves her Pug!
Sep 26, 2007
My So and I are thinking about getting a dog, a black lab in particular. We are both in our early twenties and aren't sure that this is the best time.

Right now we live in a nice big house that we are renting and will probably be in the area for another 2-3 years as I am going back to school for a second degree. So we have the room, but what kind of time commitment do we need to make?? I work a full time job and he works part time currently..

We are planning on adopting from a rescue or a humane society (a puppy so that we can raise it).

I would appreciate any tips or advice about raising a dog on our own. TIA!

I am sure many people will chime in. I adopted my adult Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix from Animal Control. She was about 4. Since you guys both work and go to school, I'd recommend getting a dog that is already house trained so you don't have to deal with messes indoors (which might mean not getting a puppy).

I'm assuming you already discussed this with your landlord and it's OK?

Labs are big dogs and require a lot of exercise. Do you guys have time to walk and play with a dog with a lot of energy? Do you have enough money for food, toys, and possible large vet bills should the pup get ill?

I take my little pup for a walk in the morning, then I hired a dog walker to take her out in the afternoon. I take her out a third time in the evenings before bed.

Lori-
Thanks for your input. Most of the young dogs that we are looking at are in the process or are already potty trained which is a plus..

Landlord is great--he is totally fine with us having any animals as long as we take care of them and the house. We have time to exercise every day which to me means that we could exercise the dogs as a part of our routines too. We both have steady jobs and take care of our adopted cats without any problems or financial strain. Each of us have extra money in the bank and we have never struggled paying bills which makes me think we could afford any possible vet bills as our vet allows us to pay on the spot or arrange payments for any type of visit.

mm16, it sounds as if you've really given this a lot of thought, great job. Too many people take on animals and then realize they didn't think everything through.

I'd also consider looking into pet insurance. I have policies on my cat and dog. I know some people don't think they're necessary, but I've found them to be helpful. I have insurance through VPI. Each animal is about $25/month. While you definitely won't be saving money for routine exams etc., you will be glad you have it if your pet requires expensive tests or unexpected surgery.

Our adoption application just got approved! The foster mom called and asked when I would like to meet Eve.

Our plan was to wait until May to adopt. I'm not sure if we should meet her since that is our plan or if we should go ahead and meet her in the case that she is perfect...ughh..decisions.

You seem to have thought about everything. That's great. I would recommend a slightly older dog, too. A puppy (even if housetrained) is a lot of work and time. My first dog was six months old when I adopted him, the second one 2 1/2 years and my current dog was seven months old. And the older dog was definitely the easiest. ;)

My parents just adopted a yellow lab that is around three years old and he is a great guy. Loves to play but is not as nerve wrecking as a puppy. ;) :lol:

Edit: I just saw your last post. Congrats and good luck on whatever you decide. I'm sure everything will be great.

We have a black lab named Haley. She is a little over 2 years old and an absolute sweetheart. We got her when she was a little over 1 year old. It has been pretty easy training her, and she loves hanging out with us on the couch, or she lays on the dog bed we got her. As with any dog she likes to chew when she gets bored. She stays in her kennel while we are at work and we've never had a problem when we got home. There have been times we've let her have run of the house when we were gone but would come home to find certain things chewed, so we do that sparingly. We have a godo sized house and she can go wherever she wants to. My husband lets her out all the time to run around in our backyard and we throw the ball for her.

Let me know if you have any questions!!!

Awww...I'm not the kind to wait, I'm bad that way, but I would get her soon. Playing devil's advocate, but what will change for you between now and May? The foster mom could foster another dog then (if thats how things work :smile:, and it seems there's never a "right" time to get a dog. Something always comes up, but things always work out. My boyfriend and I are full-time students and live in an apartment. Between the 2 of us, things work out great for Dusty. Sounds like you have all the bases covered, and then some! Good luck and I'm so happy another critter is getting a forever home.

Hi Boomie,

We are waiting until April 26 (random) to get her because that is when my SO will be home pretty much full time as he is finishing his recital.

We are meeting her Monday and they have agreed to hold her until then as long as we go ahead with the adoption fee + paperwork. It will be so hard to not bring her home!!

We just bought her crate, getting her blankies on Saturday.. We will be SO ready for her when she gets here!