Thinking of culling my MJ collection

May 15, 2009
Hi there, I am new to MJ and I'm already thinking of culling down my collection. This is what I already own:

1) large pink single
2) stardust blue small single
3) dark blue (indigo?) stella tote with suede lining
4) white venetia
5) MBMJ black lil riz hobo
6) i don't know its name but its a small-medium black flap bag with a chain in front of it

I'm thinking of making my collection as concise as possible. There are 5 types of bags that i need:
1)small bag, preferably a cross body one
2) 2 x big bags for college
3) medium bag for going out on weekends
4) one to stare at lol
5) clutch

Also, I've decided to stick to neutrals from now on, mainly black.
Thus my actions perhaps are as the following:
1) sell off the pink single :shrugs: (should I? I'm afraid I might regret it)
2) sell off the small-medium black flap bag
3) As my college bag I'm keeping my lil riz hobo, I wanna sell my indigo Stella and venetia and get a second MBMJ canvas bag.
4) buy a black large single, I'm looking for a black stardust single, but I'd settle for a regular black one as the startdust one is so hard to find
5) i love PTTM small sling bag, its TDF, but is it worth buying it on ebay for nearly $400 nowadays instead of the $200+ retail price??
6) keep the blue small single as I love staring at it, and taking it out for the weekly spin, I love the studs :heart:
7) get a clutch sometime later

Any suggestions to keeping my collection to be as tiny as possible? Thank you for hearing me rant! I hope others who have been in this situation can help!!

Good on you for trying to keep it simple! I think the 5 bag types you have selected give a good choice of a collection.

I haven't seen many people with the pink large single so you may regret it. Does your wardrobe go well with the pink? As you could use this as your going-out/weekend bag. Obviously a black large single (with or without stardust) would generally go with more outfits.

The PTTM pouchette retailed for $198, I can't believe some of the prices people are trying to sell it for! May I suggest the Vera as a crossbody? It is a similar size of the large single, but you can fit in it more. But you can also put in the bare minimum and it looks fine. However, if you love the small blue single, then keep it, and I suppose you can use this as your small crossbody bag?

I'm afraid I don't really have much experience with the bigger bags you have so I will leave that up to someone else to give their opinion on.

Good on you for trying to keep it simple! I think the 5 bag types you have selected give a good choice of a collection.

I haven't seen many people with the pink large single so you may regret it. Does your wardrobe go well with the pink? As you could use this as your going-out/weekend bag. Obviously a black large single (with or without stardust) would generally go with more outfits.

The PTTM pouchette retailed for $198, I can't believe some of the prices people are trying to sell it for! May I suggest the Vera as a crossbody? It is a similar size of the large single, but you can fit in it more. But you can also put in the bare minimum and it looks fine. However, if you love the small blue single, then I would keep this for the crossbody.

I'm afraid I don't really have much experience with the bigger bags you have so I will leave that up to someone else to give their opinion on.

i think your small medium black flap bag with the chain on the front might be the flap bag in slate. i used to own that and got rid of it to make the way for a large black single. i agree with lilahbelle's suggession of a vera for crossbody and it could also take the place of using a large black single

The PTTM pouchette retailed for $198, I can't believe some of the prices people are trying to sell it for! May I suggest the Vera as a crossbody? It is a similar size of the large single, but you can fit in it more. But you can also put in the bare minimum and it looks fine. However, if you love the small blue single, then I would keep this for the crossbody.

Hmm, yeah maybe I could do with both pink and black large single? one for winter and the other more for spring/summer? :thinking:

The thing is I love my little single, and while I'm not trying to baby it, I just want to keep it in pristine condition as I love admiring it as a piece of art (do i sound crazy here? hehe), also my style can be really casual so it can look a OTT sometimes.

do you happen to have the link for the vera you were referring to?
The small Kelsey size-wise looks good too, for a cross body bag.

yeah so 3 bags i confirm these will have to go: venetia, my beautiful stella:crybaby:, and my black chain bag..

Also as a general question to everyone, do you usually get rid of your bags first before you get new ones, or get new ones then say byebye to your old bags :tup:?

Wow! I sure wish that I could be that analytical about my bags! It makes so much sense. Unfortunately, I tend to just follow my appetites! ;)

That gives me a fairly eclectic collection!! While I love your system, I just don't know if I'm there yet!

Wow! I sure wish that I could be that analytical about my bags! It makes so much sense. Unfortunately, I tend to just follow my appetites! ;)

That gives me a fairly eclectic collection!! While I love your system, I just don't know if I'm there yet!

Haha SassieMe have you got a link to photos of you bag family? I'd love to sneak a peek
Yeah I tend to be analytical (I'm a geologist in the making hehe)..
Also since I havn't got a proper job yet I'll be on a bag diet till i graduate in 2+ years!!

Last edited:
i really admire what you're doing. i've toyed with the idea, but could never go through with it. no color too? whoa. neutral bags are great, but i think that pink single should stay. it would fit right into the category "one to stare at." ;)

Also as a general question to everyone, do you usually get rid of your bags first before you get new ones, or get new ones then say byebye to your old bags :tup:?

I would say that most of us do some kind of combination of both of these.

Sometimes there is culling when we know we will be wanting something new from the upcoming season. Sometimes we might do a sudden impulse buy, and feel we must then give something up. Sometimes for me, if I've not carried a bag in a very long time, I will decide it needs to go to a more appreciative home!

i really admire what you're doing. i've toyed with the idea, but could never go through with it. no color too? whoa. neutral bags are great, but i think that pink single should stay. it would fit right into the category "one to stare at." ;)

Thanks, Im saving up for this baby as well:
http://www.prsguitars.com/custom/
a beauty of an electric guitar, so my bag collection needs to be short and sweet as possible for now ;) !

OH gosh I agree I'm in love with my Pink Single it's TDF, the leather, the colour, everything!:cloud9:
Don't know how I could even have thought of selling it.

So scrap that black single plan, I've ordered this bag instead yesterday:
Party girl tribal pixie in black
http://www.shopbop.com/party-girl-tr...and-shopbysize

So that covers my need of a black casual bag, and I hope it will satisfy my need for a small crossbody PTTM too :P

This is the Vera: http://www.matchesfashion.com/fcp/p...obs-mj-x-c301207-vera-bags/15756?colour=black

I haven't really gotten rid of many bags - but if you need the money to purchase the new ones, then I would get rid of the old ones first :smile:

Haha I've dived in and purchased the bags that i need, and I will sell the others off very soon

The Vera is very sophisticated-cool.. But i bought the very funky Party girl tribal pixie in black.. that bag was calling out my name :girlsigh: