Thinking of Converting - Looking for tips, encouragement

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Fall Sale is now live! Save up to 40% on Nordy's best brands, including bags, shoes, clothes, home, and kids'. Click to shop.
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I usually hang out in the Chanel forum but am now finding myself longing for Hermes. This sudden craving has taken me by surprise since I felt very content with Chanel. But, now that I have almost all of the Chanel bags I want, I find myself drawn to Hermes. I have yet to set foot in a boutique or to even try on any of the bags, but love the following - Medor Clutch in black box with GHW, mini Jige clutch in black croc, and 35 cm Togo Birkin in black with GHW.

I plan on making my first trip to the Hermes boutique in SF this weekend. Any tips for a complete newbie? What are the odds of even seeing any of the bags I am interested in? I know Birkins are rarely just on the shelves and I don't know if they sell exotics in California.

I also have to save for these purchases so I am just in a looking phase right now (I might pick up a small jewelry item or key ring if something catches my eye). I will probably be able to get the Medor clutch in a few months, but the Birkin is a little further off. Should I try to get on a wait list (if one exists) now, knowing that I won't have the funds right away or should I wait until I am in a position to buy? How popular is the 35 cm black Togo with GHW?

Finally, I am not opposed to buying pre-loved especially if I can save some $. What are the best sources for pre-loved Hermes and can I expect to save by going this route? I have seen many on ebay with prices all over the place so I assume at least some are fakes.

Any tips/encouragement would be appreciated! Thank you.

Jennifer

2. I would advise you to visit the Hermes boutique and develop a relationship with one of their sales associates. It is easy to fall in love with some of the more affordable items...the enamels, scarves, etc are amazing. The Birkin is an amazing bag and you really should try holding the different sizes to see which one fits you. You might surprise yourself :smile: Once you have an established relationship with your SA, let him/her know what you are interested in. I strongly encourage you to buy from Hermes. While there is a lot on Ebay, many are not authentic. This is an investment purchase that you will not regret....equate it to fine jewelry but more functional..LOL. Once you are bitten by the H-bug, there is no turning back.

3. Thanks, texasgirliegirl! I know it will be addicting once I start, just like my current Chanel addiction which I am trying to wean myself from to save up for these items. I agree that the pieces are timeless and feel that I will be able to pass them on to my daughters one day so that makes them feel worthwhile in spite of the cost.

Jennifer

4. Thanks, Luna de Miel! I started working my way through that thread last night. There is a lot of great information!

Jennifer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.