thinking about selling a bag... but which one?

ashleyroe

back from a hiatus!
Aug 26, 2009
i have:

• sateen chainlink maggie in purple/brown
  • sateen op art outline alexandra tote in cream/brown/lavender
  • an '08 large carly still with tags on it khaki/brown with magenta lining (HG)
  • sateen op art sabrina in orange/black/grey with gunmetal leather
  • natalie straw clutch with white leather trim
and obviously my patent abigail, which isnt going anywhere.

now the maggie was my first coach bag.
the carly is my HG.
the sabrina gets constant use in bad weather.
and i love the clutch for the summer.

so this technically leaves me with the alexandra to sell.
but its hard! it's so big and beautiful :sad:

and also the scare factor of selling bags these days with scams.

what do you girls do when you want to make a decision like this?

You knw the one you can't remember the last time you carried her?

Sell that one! :smile:

well i know when the last time i carried the alex was, begining of the summer. i cant bring her to work with me because my lockers too small.

if i go by what you say, the carly needs to go. i've never carried her.

i'm thinking maybe get rid of both?

right? if i'm too scared to use a bag because i like it TOO much, that should go too.

keep the cash from one and use the cash from the other to get my burberry nylon tote :smile:

Don't worry too much about scams-- you just have to be savvy. If you're selling on ebay, make sure all your transactions/messages-with-buyers are through ebay itself, and make sure you receive your payment from paypal before you send ANYTHING. Then just be sure to upload the tracking number and have the buyer do the signature confirmation thing (so they can't deny having received it). It's worked well for me so far, though I admit I'm still a purse-selling newby (though am in serious collection-pruning mode right now. I own too many bags I rarely use and feel weighed down by some of them).

As for which to sell, that's always the toughest question. I'd vote that you sell whichever bag you use least. Try to imagine that bag stacked up against the one you want right now. If it's worth selling the bag you have, it shouldn't be THAT hard when you compare it to how much you want your next bag. Sorry, that sounds confusing, hopefully it makes sense.

And if there's a bag you like so much you never use it, I suggest you take it out for a spin. You may love USING that bag even more than you love keeping it up on a shelf... and if this isn't the case, you should sell (but I think you should try it first. It sucks to regret selling a bag).

Good luck!

Don't worry too much about scams-- you just have to be savvy. If you're selling on ebay, make sure all your transactions/messages-with-buyers are through ebay itself, and make sure you receive your payment from paypal before you send ANYTHING. Then just be sure to upload the tracking number and have the buyer do the signature confirmation thing (so they can't deny having received it). It's worked well for me so far, though I admit I'm still a purse-selling newby (though am in serious collection-pruning mode right now. I own too many bags I rarely use and feel weighed down by some of them).

Yes, do make sure you receive payment, but also know that Paypal likes to hold funds now. They will release them to you 3 days after confirmed delivery. Just make sure you upload that tracking number, and get seperate Signature Confirmation (not just the kind included w/ins). You should be fine. :smile:

^^^I just found this out the hard way! I sold a bag yesterday and was browsing eBay, already thinking about making my next purchase, and I CANT because the funds aren't available!!!! Sucky :tdown: That being said...do you really need to sell one? You seem to have a pretty well rounded collection, I love all of those styles! If you do need to, I would vote the one with the tags still on, since you haven't carried it anyway. GL!

well, im not new to selling on ebay. i sell mostly car parts. so it's a different crowd that i dont even think is aware of how to/able to scam.

That being said...do you really need to sell one? You seem to have a pretty well rounded collection, I love all of those styles! If you do need to, I would vote the one with the tags still on, since you haven't carried it anyway. GL!

thats one thing i like about my collection, they are all so very different.

i dont NEED to sell a bag. but i just didn't want to be one of those girls with a million bags haha. i'm afraid that if i'd keep getting bags, other bags usage would suffer.

i'm currently lacking a nice black bag. i don't know if i'd want it to be leather but the burberry tonal check shopper is under my radar right now.

i carried the alexandra tonight to see how i felt about it, and i loved having her with me. she's so big i can tuck her under my arm and behind me, if you know what i mean. sooooo comfy and can carry so much.

i might just keep them all!

keep the responses going though, they're helping. different points of view are a big help, just incase there's an idea or reason i, myself wouldnt think of.

well, im not new to selling on ebay. i sell mostly car parts. so it's a different crowd that i dont even think is aware of how to/able to scam.

thats one thing i like about my collection, they are all so very different.

i dont NEED to sell a bag. but i just didn't want to be one of those girls with a million bags haha. i'm afraid that if i'd keep getting bags, other bags usage would suffer.

i'm currently lacking a nice black bag. i don't know if i'd want it to be leather but the burberry tonal check shopper is under my radar right now.

i carried the alexandra tonight to see how i felt about it, and i loved having her with me. she's so big i can tuck her under my arm and behind me, if you know what i mean. sooooo comfy and can carry so much.

i might just keep them all!

keep the responses going though, they're helping. different points of view are a big help, just incase there's an idea or reason i, myself wouldnt think of.
You have a nice variety. I try to force myself not to buy a color I already own, although I have 5 bags in the purple family. I justify it by saying I like purple and they are all different shades and sizes.
Even if I don't need a bag, I am not going to sell it for peanuts. I price it at what I want for it, and if it doesn't sell, that's better than having to sell a $400 Coach for $30. Ebay buyers are totally unpredictable so you never know if you are going to get a good price. I can't stand the uncertainty of starting an auction at 99 cents.
I have bags I know aren't going to see much use, but I love them more than the money I would get if I sold them. If you sell something that you love, you will regret it.
There are a few Coach items I bought just for resale that I didn't want to part with, but most of my sales were things I thought I would like but didn't work for me.
Selling Coach bags isn't much riskier than selling anything else. When I sold an iphone, I was terrified. The only problem I ever had with a Coach sale is a buyer giving me neutral feedback claiming that a new item had been used. She didn't even try to talk to me first and it was new.
I don't think you are going to have a buyer scam you by returning a fake with a Coach sale as they might with a Chanel or something pricey.
If you don't know already, it is almost always better to accept returns on Ebay because if they aren't happy, they will open a case anyway and Ebay will make you take it back.
I think you should keep them all.

I (tried) to sell about 6 bags that I loved recently on Ebay. I loved them, but I wanted to clear out some space for some new ones I had picked out. I found that I really didn't make much on them. Some I had carried less than a week total. I couldn't get anywhere near new price for those. I'd say a $300-$400 purse was going for less than $200 on ebay. Coach just doesn't have very good resale. Then I realized that Ebay rapes you on all of the listing fees and comission fees. OUCH. My DH told me it was ridiculous to get rid of bags for nothing that I paid good money for. So, I kept 3 and I'll just try to use them later. If you are ok with taking a hit on them, and not making that much on them, then do it. Otherwise, maybe you should just keep those ones you love and save a little longer for the ones on your list! Hope it all works out for you!

well i know when the last time i carried the alex was, begining of the summer. i cant bring her to work with me because my lockers too small.

if i go by what you say, the carly needs to go. i've never carried her.

i'm thinking maybe get rid of both?

right? if i'm too scared to use a bag because i like it TOO much, that should go too.

keep the cash from one and use the cash from the other to get my burberry nylon tote :smile:

If you haven't used the carly yet why keep it? Since it still has the tags on it, if you have the receipt you should be able to get a full refund. If you don't have the receipt they will only give you the current value. And you won't have the hassle of selling it used on bay or bonz.

But if you truly love it you should keep it and carry it!

I think you have a great collection; they're all very different yet all very functional. I think I'd have a hard time selling any of them LOL...I'm no help, sorry!

I agree with katev about your Carly. If you have the receipt for her, you can always go back and get something else that you love and think you will get more use out of. I love the old Carly bags, and that color combo you have the best on that particular bag. Why haven't you carried your Carly at all so far? Are you too afraid of something happening to her or...?

I think you have a great collection; they're all very different yet all very functional. I think I'd have a hard time selling any of them LOL...I'm no help, sorry!

I agree with katev about your Carly. If you have the receipt for her, you can always go back and get something else that you love and think you will get more use out of. I love the old Carly bags, and that color combo you have the best on that particular bag. Why haven't you carried your Carly at all so far? Are you too afraid of something happening to her or...?

the fraying issue.

i don't think i'm particularly rough on bags, but i heard of girls using them like twice and they started to unravel.

i'm probably just being over protective of the bag.

the fraying issue.

i don't think i'm particularly rough on bags, but i heard of girls using them like twice and they started to unravel.

I've heard of the fraying issue a handful of times myself, which is why I never bought an original Carly...even though I always wanted one (and still do!). I ended up getting the MFF version about a year or so ago in the sateen material.

the fraying issue.

I have a couple of the original Carlys (one in black op art and one in tonal denim), and I've carried them quite a bit with no fraying. Yes, they do show wear at the top pretty quickly, but mine are still in beautiful condition for their age the the amount they've been used. Especially the denim. :heart:

the fraying issue.

My daughter, who is not at all careful with her bags, carried a Carly for at least six months without it fraying. I think it only frays when you carry it on your shoulder and it is rubbing against rough fabric.
If you carry it twice and it does start to unravel, take it to Coach and complain.