Thinking about my second Proenza...

Robyn Loraine

Jan 14, 2010
I know, I know! I just got one! :P But I loved the medium suede and want to get a large leather PS1 now. The color I've decided on is Midnight, because I already have two black AW bags and I don't want my bag wardrobe to get redundant. However my big question now is where to purchase it? I know ****** has one and at a great price, but I also know that Proenza will not repair bags bought through Erica for whatever reason. Bergdorf's has it too, with the gift card event going on now, but it would be over $400 more than on ****** and I wouldn't get that gift card for months...so the question is, where should I buy it? Does anyone else know of any other reputable sites with deals on this bag? TIA!

I know, I know! I just got one! :P But I loved the medium suede and want to get a large leather PS1 now. The color I've decided on is Midnight, because I already have two black AW bags and I don't want my bag wardrobe to get redundant. However my big question now is where to purchase it? I know ****** has one and at a great price, but I also know that Proenza will not repair bags bought through Erica for whatever reason. Bergdorf's has it too, with the gift card event going on now, but it would be over $400 more than on ****** and I wouldn't get that gift card for months...so the question is, where should I buy it? Does anyone else know of any other reputable sites with deals on this bag? TIA!

I don't think you're going to find any discounts on the PS1, other than seasonal leathers (or other material like canvas).

You may want to look at farfetch.com, which is a sort of e-storefront for international sellers (they are all authorized, bricks and mortar retailers). I have ordered several bags and other items from farfetch. Provide your ZIP code and all applicable taxes, duties, etc. will be included in the sale price - plus, next-day shipping via DHL. I have typically saved 15-20% off retail by ordering from farfetch.com. You will get the packaging and receipts, etc. from the actual retailer so there should be no issues with getting repairs or other service from PS, per their internal policy.

Farfetch prices are typically lower than American retail, but all of my purchases from the site have been European brands. There may not be any savings to purchase a US brand from an overseas retailer. But it's worth looking at.

I don't think you're going to find any discounts on the PS1, other than seasonal leathers (or other material like canvas).

You may want to look at farfetch.com, which is a sort of e-storefront for international sellers (they are all authorized, bricks and mortar retailers). I have ordered several bags and other items from farfetch. Provide your ZIP code and all applicable taxes, duties, etc. will be included in the sale price - plus, next-day shipping via DHL. I have typically saved 15-20% off retail by ordering from farfetch.com. You will get the packaging and receipts, etc. from the actual retailer so there should be no issues with getting repairs or other service from PS, per their internal policy.

Farfetch prices are typically lower than American retail, but all of my purchases from the site have been European brands. There may not be any savings to purchase a US brand from an overseas retailer. But it's worth looking at.

I have looked at Farfetch, they don't currently sell Proenza. :sad: I think you are right, but I did get an email back from Erica of ****** regarding the repairs issues with Proenza.

"
Thanks for your e-mail! Let me assure you, that quality has been much better over this Fall 2012 season so the chance of needing repair is slimmer. Also, we now carry extra studs so if you have a missing stud (that is the majority of their problems), we can send you the hardware and any leather repair shop can fix for you pretty inexpensively. In the past, we didn't have extra hardware so people were pretty stuck to try and repair on their own.

My savings is so great, I think it's totally worth it if you need to repair on your own. They are beautiful bags!!!

Kind Regards,
Erica"

I thought that was really great of her. It may be changing my decision. :smile:

^They are both great neutrals but the Midnight is special, it's a chameleon and go from dark in dim light to blue in daylight. There has been some recent posts about color change though but it could be Midnight from last year, I had never heard about this in the older bags. Saddle could look great with patina though.

^They are both great neutrals but the Midnight is special, it's a chameleon and go from dark in dim light to blue in daylight. There has been some recent posts about color change though but it could be Midnight from last year, I had never heard about this in the older bags. Saddle could look great with patina though.

Erica said her Midnight is 2012, so hopefully it wouldn't have any issues with color change. The only reason I'm debating whether or not I should get Saddle is because I don't have a basic, neutral brown bag (I don't have navy either, but I figure that brown usually comes before navy in priority for a basic bag wardrobe). I love the midnight but I could also get a beautiful navy bag from 3.1 Phillip Lim and the saddle was the original PS1 that drew me to the brand. Also I can get the saddle at a discount from a retailer that is authorized and therefore would be able to get repairs easily.

I have looked at Farfetch, they don't currently sell Proenza. :sad: I think you are right, but I did get an email back from Erica of ****** regarding the repairs issues with Proenza.

"
Thanks for your e-mail! Let me assure you, that quality has been much better over this Fall 2012 season so the chance of needing repair is slimmer. Also, we now carry extra studs so if you have a missing stud (that is the majority of their problems), we can send you the hardware and any leather repair shop can fix for you pretty inexpensively. In the past, we didn't have extra hardware so people were pretty stuck to try and repair on their own.

My savings is so great, I think it's totally worth it if you need to repair on your own. They are beautiful bags!!!

Kind Regards,
Erica"

I thought that was really great of her. It may be changing my decision. :smile:

Wow! That is really great news. I didn't know that ****** had additional hardware available for repairs. I have purchased several bags and a couple of jackets from the website over the years and I have never been disappointed. They have outstanding service and offer a great value for authentic items.

Wow! That is really great news. I didn't know that ****** had additional hardware available for repairs. I have purchased several bags and a couple of jackets from the website over the years and I have never been disappointed. They have outstanding service and offer a great value for authentic items.

I know! I was happy to hear that. It might not help if you have a catastrophic bag failure (like the leather ripping or the clasp breaking) but for the most common issue I'm glad to know they have a way to deal with that.

I know! I was happy to hear that. It might not help if you have a catastrophic bag failure (like the leather ripping or the clasp breaking) but for the most common issue I'm glad to know they have a way to deal with that.

Wow, sounds like you can't go wrong! My bag is a 2010 and I haven't had any problems. I don't like to hear about quality control issues on the newer bags. Hopefully, they've figured it out.

Update: I got the large saddle PS1 from Forward. I think this will be my last Proenza for a bit (my bf is going to flip). :P But I am glad, and if it has any future issues I can always get it fixed since I got it from an authorized retailer. Seeing pictures of Olivia Wilde with this bag totally made me have to get it, I love her and her style. :flowers: Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Well everyone, I was supposed to do my reveal of my large saddle ps1 today but...

they sent me the wrong color! I got birch instead. So I'm sending it back for the right color. Hopefully I'll get the correct one next time! :Push: