Thin Soles - Ouch!

Kleio

Mar 30, 2011
I have a pair of boots that are absolutely perfect in every way, except that they have thin soles. I can't walk in them for long because after a while, the balls of my feet start killing me. I've tried using Foot Petals ball-of-foot inserts, but they do absolutely nothing for me.

I was wondering if the lovely ladies of TPF have any advice for this quite-common issue? I know one "solution" is to keep pounding pavement until the soles of my feet eventually harden, but I'd prefer not to - I like my tender and delicate soles the way they are. :P

I was thinking of taking the boots to a cobbler to see what he'd advise, but I live quite far away from any decent cobbler in my area, so I wanted to ask around first to see what other ladies are doing with their thin-soled shoes. Thanks!

If they are high heeled I only wear my shoes like that for special events/evenings out where I am not doing a lot of walking outside or over uneven surfaces. The other thing to do is take a pair flat shoes and change into them at appropriate point.

I would use a two-pronged approach and use gel inserts and also have a thicker outer sole put on by a cobbler. The thicker outer sole won't necessarily provide much cushioning, but it will help; the gel insert ought to provide the comfort.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! After HauteMama's suggestion, I think I'm going to take the boots to a cobbler and see what he suggests. Are gel inserts good? I've never tried any inserts other than Foot Petals', and that's because I was so disappointed with Foot Petals' ball-of-the-foot inserts (how much cushioning are they expecting customers to get from such a thin insert?!). I'm basically looking for a "permanent" solution, not something that will give me temporary relief.

This is actually why I now buy all of my shoes with some sort of platform, or at least a noticeably thick sole. I've been bitten too many times by shoes with thin soles. I honestly don't know how other women do it - I guess my feet are just super tender! :P

I have had this problem with some of my shoes. I put rubber vibram soles on all my shoes and I use gel insoles. The gel insoles or pads protect the balls of my feet from all the weight and pressure.