thin or wide bands on e-rings trends?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
There have been tons of engagement ring threads lately! Either it is that time of year or so many people are just getting re-set. Anyway, when I was married 19 years ago (where I live - PA) the style was yellow gold, wide heavy band part of e-ring and lots of high settings of pears and marquises! Now, especially on TPF, so many are doing platinum and skinny tiny bands of pave or micro pave. Do people just go with what they like or is it a situation of changing styles and trends? Seems like a dramatic change from what was extremely popular 20 years ago! Do you think thin banded rings will be popular for the next 20 years?

I have no idea if it's a "trend" or not, but I've always preferred more delicate jewelry. So in my case I ordered what I like, not what I think everyone else does.
When I look on different websites, I do still see a lot of everything in between still offered - I see thin pave, double or triple band paves, thick settings, etc. . .

I also noticed e ring bands are getting thinner and thinner, and the trend is platinum/white gold and not yellow gold. Most of the e rings look like the Legacy e ring from Tiffany, or the very popular Tacori one (don't remember the name). Back in the '80 the bands were thick, yellow, and the styles very ornate and art deco like.

I can't predict the trends in 20 years from now, but nothing is impossible. Chances are things will change again.

When I was getting engaged about 10 years ago, the trend was all plat, with baguettes on the side or 3 stone rings. I think the halo thing will pass eventually.

I tried very hard to choose a setting I would like long term. I've always loved wider bands, so that is what I have for my wedding band. I didn't pick my ER, but DH knew I just wanted something very simple with 4 plat prongs, so that's what I got! I you know, might add a little eternity band in between at some point though.:whistle:

Unfortunately I think halo (which I have) is also a trend. Do most of you like the teeny tiny micropave bands on e-rings? I guess they do make the center diamond look even bigger. They're just so delicate IMO.

^i like the micropave. my only concern would be how it can stand up to daily wear.

i like the way thin bands look on me so that's what i chose, but i do think the trend is to get thin bands and even multiple bands. just the other day when i was in a jewelry store, i noticed almost all of the ring settings were thin bands, pave, halo, platinum.

i haven't seen anyone with a rose gold e-ring IRL but i think it'd be beautiful and unique. when we were designing my ring, the jeweler showed us morganite in a rose gold setting and i have to admit i loved it.

I think the micropave is a pretty look, but my goldsmith friend is always screaming about it. I guess it is not as durable as a more traditional pave or prong style.

Right now I am seeing a lot of those "illusion" style rings. There are 6-10 (or more) small stones to make up the center stone so that it looks like a honker stone until you look close. It kind of creeps me out.....definitely not for me!

^Kitsun, a colleague of mine who got married recently has one of those "illusion" rings. I didn't realize that's what they're known as! It looks HUGE from afar, but up close....it's a teeny tiny gathering of small diamonds......lunchbag-letdown if you ask me!!!!

Micropave IS delicate, but it's not durable. Then again, I like it as it "hides" the metal....especially platinum which is prone to developing that "patina" over time, so it's a great option to have the sides of the shank decked out in micropave for that reason alone- especially if you like Plat but NOT the patina it develops.

I LOVE platinum.....more so because I'm a chemistry NUT & studied the hell out of it in University PLUS.....it's my fave element :P So in that respect, I love showing the metal off, but in a thinner, more delicate fashion. I have this crazy idea in my head that since Plat is one of the strongest metals, when I wear it, it evokes strength....hence my reason for wanting to show it!

I think micropave-ing the rings to a hilt is great if you don't work much with your hands as it's quite fragile....but albeit, pretty! What I see as trendy are these micropave'd rings that take on an antique look. My DH likes the Michael B Paris ring, but in his opinion, it looks like an antique/older style....not at all modern. And yes....I do think this is a trend much like the Halo that will soon pass. The Halo is also an "older" style.

I've never cared for those E-rings that had the centre stone surrounded by poor quality baquettes...those were TACKY!!! -and "kitcsh" in my opinion. I hope those never re-surface Lol......

At the end of the day.....solitaires are always classic IMHO....those will NEVER go out of style.

i don't know about trends specifically, but for me, i have always preferred platinum/white gold over yellow gold. also my fingers do not look good with white/thick bands at all. only if worn by itself and not with an e-ring. i guess i just feel like my fingers aren't long/skinny enough so it doesn't look right and almost looks crowded.

there's something to be said about a nice dainty thin band with an e-ring. it's delicate and extravagent in its own right (if that makes sense). but i also like to stack bands with it to mix and match and always have a different set as well. i have never been a fan of matching wedding sets personally, so for me, different bands are ideal.

besides, i'm not a fan of trends when it comes to jewelry. i just go for what i like and typically it's more of a classic setting that is timeless and i have always felt that platinum or white gold fits into that category.

There are definitely trends in jewelry, wedding sets in particular. My mom had her wedding ring re-set during the 1990's trend of VERY wide, yellow gold bands. I am not fond of it, but she did keep the original setting and has it in her lock box.

Pave and halo are on-trend right now. That doesn't make them unattractive and it doesn't mean they won't still be beautiful years from now, but they will be easily idenifiable as from this time-period, IMO. And white metals have been far more popular than yellow for very long time.

When I get my wedding set upgraded, I will go with a plain, thin yellow gold band with a round brilliant solitaire. No halo, no baguettes, no pave, no puzzle-like interlocking bands. I want a very simple setting and I have always favored yellow gold, regardless of what it on-trend.

I don't know if thin bands are here to stay, but they're different.....definitely NOT traditional.

My wedding band was wider & now I'm getting a thin one......must say that even trying these on takes some time getting used to but I like them very much.

The attraction of stacking and mixing is that you have a unique set and avoid that "matchy" wedding set that's so "expected"

HauteMama....it's ironic that you mention yellow gold b/c just a couple of weeks ago, I've been liking it more and more. Perhaps I'm tired of all the "white" metal.....plat, white gold, sterling silver.....it's overkill!!!! The yellow gold adds some warmth.....which I like.

It's very important to get a very qualified setter if you want pave :yes:
I've talked to jewelers that have never seen any pave come back for repairs and others that warn about how delicate . . . it's all about the quality I think.

Halo's. . . . they're popular right now, but not "trendy". They're classic. I think think pave could be the same - it's almost modern day milgrain.

I love thin bands because I can wear several of them without feeling like my finger is squashed. I have tiny micropave that so far has held up perfectly. I'm sure the tide will change with erings as they do every 15-20 years, but I think they styles right now are classic enough that it won't be as noticeable.