They Said It This Year

Pete Doherty:

"We've had death threats", Pete says, "saying, 'You're evil and your days are numbered." What was it, "Don't panic but be scared". Someone shat on our doorstep once and nailed a sparrow to our basement door. I don't mind, me. I'll out-weird any stalker.

Nooooooah. No, that was a big joke in the family. When I was 16, 17, I started drifting away from everything else and picking up a guitar, and it was like, "What are you doing? You can't sing and you can't play a guitar", right up to the day we got signed by Rough Trade. And then it was like, "Go on play us a song", whereas before it was, "Shut up, ****ing racket."

I am engaged... to Barack *****. My heart belongs to Barack, and that is who I am currently, finally, engaged to.
–Scarlett Johansson, when asked if she's engaged to Ryan Reynolds

Well, maybe compared to yours. Mine always showed up to custody hearings and rarely did she show her vagina to the press.
–Jimmy Kimmel, responding to Paris Hilton's comment that Britney Spears is a "great mother," on his show

I'm going to kick [Katie Holmes'] ass.
–Jason Bateman, on how his marathon training is going, to PEOPLE

If I change my name again, y'all can have me certified as crazy. Alright?
–Diddy, on reports he's changing his name again, to the New York Post

Honest to god, I have never had a lap dance.
–Regis Philbin, on Live with Regis and Kelly

We're about equal. Equally not so good.
Angelina Jolie, when asked if she or Brad Pitt was a better dancer, at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival

My favorite comedy is comedy where nothing is achieved and there is no point.
–Conan O'Brien, on the mock feud he had with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert over who "made" ********** presidential candidate Mike Huckabee

Will someone please let Joss Stone know that a heart disease benefit isn't the best place to talk about rolling cigarettes? "In England, we smoked rolled cigarettes," the singer said at a benefit Feb. 5, according to contactmusic.com. "It's better to smoke rollies than straights because straights have chemicals that keep them burning. So, if you have to really smoke, smoke rollies."

Former "ER" doctor George Clooney thinks he's too good for reality TV. "There is a strange pecking order among actors," Clooney recently told reporters, according to a Feb. 7 post on showbizspy.com. "Theatre actors look down on film actors, who look down on TV actors. Thank God for reality shows, or we wouldn't have anybody to look down on."

Hundreds of you said paris hilton – with the tagline that you wouldn't want to do that to the pig.
–Shanna Moakler, on the contest she's running to name her pet pig, on MySpace

I gather they are only months away from digitally putting a T-shirt on Matthew McConaughey.
-Emily Blunt, listing the technical advances in the world of CGI while presenting the visual effects trophy at London's BAFTA Awards

He's easily distracted by food, much like me. I can be swayed from any task if buffalo chicken wings present themselves.
-Seth Rogen, on playing goblin Hogsqueal in The Spiderwick Chronicles, to Cindy Adams

Do you really need to pick this exact moment, when there is nakedness and motorcycles, to take me away?
–Bret Michaels, on being called away by a disapproving Aubry to talk while he was clearly enjoying himself, on Rock of Love

Clothes!
–Johnny Depp, on what he was wearing on the red carpet at the Oscars

You know when you go around to your aunty's and the little chihuahua gets on your leg because they think it's something else? That's my relationship with Ryan. It's like: Off!
–Simon Cowell, on how he gets along with Ryan Seacrest, on Live with Regis & Kelly

To me, Botox is no more unusual than toothpaste. It works. You do it once a year – who cares?
-Simon Cowell, to the British edition of Glamour

Demi starts her day with a venti half-caff, whole-milk, no-foam latte from Starbucks. Every single day. We could be in Antarctica and she would find that drink.
–Ashton Kutcher explains one thing Demi can't live without, to Harper's Bazaar

I've only ever had about three boyfriends. Only a handful of people have seen into the Pharaoh's Tomb.
–Kate Beckinsale, on who knows about her best feature, to Allure

She looks at me and says, 'Nice top shelf.' That was one of the greatest days of my life.
–Justin Timberlake, at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, on baring his bottom for inductee Madonna

She knew her lines better than me.
–How I Met Your Mother's Josh Radnor, on Britney Spears's first day on the set, to PEOPLE

A little later on I'll be at the Dinah Shore Golf Tournament, of course. That's if it doesn't conflict with my women's basketball games that I go to.
–Ellen DeGeneres, leaving a message for Rep. Sally Kern of Oklahoma, in response to an anti-gay speech she gave this week

I asked my trainer, 'Can you give me Jessica Biel's butt?'
–Christina Ricci, lamenting the size of her posterior, to U.K. Elle

I don't like ... things.
–Jerry Seinfeld, explaining his philosophy to Conan O'Brien, on Late Night

They're a perfect couple. He's got a last name that's just a letter. And she's got no last name. So that's fabulous, that's a perfect melding.
–Today's Al Roker, on Jay-Z and Beyoncé's marriage, to PEOPLE

You don't hate the mosquito. You just want it out of your face.
–Simon Cowell, explaining his relationship with Ryan Seacrest, on Larry King Live

Hosting the MTV Movie Awards is like a party, but without having to do beer runs in your mom's minivan. We do beer runs in Will Smith's four-story motor home.
–Mike Myers, on his upcoming gig at the 2008 MTV Movie Awards

She's happy with me. She lets me eat meals now.
-Mariah Carey, speaking about her personal trainer, who got the singer looking svelte, to Elle

If I win, it's because of my natural ability and if I lose, it's because I wasn't trying so hard.
–Kelly Ripa, right before racing against other women in heels, on Live with Regis and Kelly

Gordon Ramsay: Dustin, can you stop burning 'em? Twenty seconds only!
Dustin Hoffman: That's what she said.
–The unlikely duo, cooking fajitas with Jay Leno, on The Tonight Show

In my role of agent [for] Miss Hathaway, I would like to say that she does not answer questions relating to this subject.
–Steve Carell, rescuing costar Anne Hathaway after a reporter asked about her recent breakup with Raffaello Follieri, at the Italian premiere of Get Smart

When I was a child I would kill small animals and wear their teeth as necklaces. True. Print that. And I've always felt deep down that I was born a woman.
–John Mayer, mocking the media's intense coverage of everything he says, at his St. Louis concert

Have you seen 300?
–One of PEOPLE'S Hottest Bachelors Gerard Butler, joking about his best move on women with a mock pickup line

Woooo is right!
–Justin Timberlake, agreeing with the audience as they hollered for his girlfriend, Jessica Biel, on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

They said, 'We had sex and it was awesome.'
–Kate Hudson, on how her parents explained the birds and the bees, on the Late Show with Conan O'Brien

And we're not really smoking a big fatty joint from this giant bag of fake weed on live television right this second.
–Seth Rogen, while presenting onstage with his Pineapple Express costar James Franco at the MTV Movie Awards

But don't ask me. Try one yourself.
–Salma Hayek, agreeing that French men make the best lovers, to PEOPLE

I'll tell you who the lucky guy is soon.
–Ellen DeGeneres, joking while announcing her plans to marry longtime girlfriend Portia de Rossi after California's gay-marriage ban was overturned

She's kind of like a super-assistant that you can have sex with.
–Pete Wentz, dishing on fiancée Ashlee Simpson, to PEOPLE

Today I set off on my newest project; to grow and maintain an authentic '80s style feathered haircut. ... I'm very excited to bring this amazing look into today's pop culture landscape.
–Newly shorn John Mayer, giving a nod to Michael J. Fox, Shaun Cassidy and other cult stars, on his blog