Theft on ebay - paid by bank wire transfer but seller disappeared

Good luck bigbizinpurse I hope things work out for you but unfortuntately I dont think the AFP will be that interested as the sum of money involved will be too small for them to worry about.

I have recent experience in trying to get action for a theft of a cheque book (I know it is not an eBay related theft) and I gave the police the full details of who took the cheque book (I found this out as the stupid people wrote a cheque paying for College fees) and they did very little. They interviewed the person concerned who denied all knowledge and as far as the police were concerned that was that they could do no more! But this same person then passed two more cheques but the police didn't want to know me. As a result I have no respect for the police forces in Australia they are far too busy doing other things to worry about petty crime.

I totally agree... I've experienced similar thing where I have absolute proof of who stole my mobile phone... reported & handed it over to the police here but they did NOTHING. Sorry to say this but they are so useless, can't rely on them at all :sad:

Maybe there is a thread that can be posted to warn people about wire transfers. I warned someone against it in an Hermes thread and a few members were telling the poster that they thought it would be fine. Once you wire money to an individual it is gone. There is no recourse. I have purchased over 300 items from Ebay,and not once have I wired money.
I hope you get your money back,but I would try to get used to the thought that it will not be returned. Print out your Ebay auction to keep a picture of the listing. You may see it turn up again under a new ID and report it.

Hi, I'm new on this site, and I couldn't help reading what happen with your money and I'm sorry to hear that. I suggest that if your returned the purse back to her through the Postal Service, I would call the Postal Inspectors. However since this is an international article, I'm not sure how far the Postal Inspectors would go. I know they would investigate domestically not sure internationally. But I would try it. Good Luck.

Maybe there is a thread that can be posted to warn people about wire transfers. I warned someone against it in an Hermes thread and a few members were telling the poster that they thought it would be fine. Once you wire money to an individual it is gone. There is no recourse. I have purchased over 300 items from Ebay,and not once have I wired money.
I hope you get your money back,but I would try to get used to the thought that it will not be returned. Print out your Ebay auction to keep a picture of the listing. You may see it turn up again under a new ID and report it.

First of all I hope that bigbizinpurse will get her money back and that everything will work out fine.

Although I do agree that money transfers are always risky I think you can't generalise and you always have to see both sides of the story. There are bad sellers and there are bad buyers. In case of an expensive item like an Hermes bag I would only accept wire transfer as payment as a seller...the risk of sending out the bag and than have the buyer do a chargeback would simply be to high for my liking. But I'm German and have got a different attitude towards money transfers and paypal.

In Germany you only very rarely find sellers who accept anything but wire transfer. It is common behaviour to pay purchases no matter if from ebay or from online shops mainly through wire transfers...and since German paypal users can't get a confirmed account it's a lose - lose situation for international transactions anyway.

Well I guess at the end of the day each person will do what they want. I personaly think that there are enough Ebay Sellers within most peoples regions when it comes to very high price items. I would be concerned about insurability on an international purchase worth thousands of dollars. It is very easy to get caught up in the excitement of bidding on a unbelievable bargain on Ebay(mea culpa) and most people are very embarassed to admit it to their husbands, wives, friends, so they keep quiet. And you know what they say about a fool and his money.(I am NOT inffering that any one on this forum is a fool) I will say that there are many people on Ebay who must repeat that as a mantra. Each country has their accepted way of conducting business, if it is acceptable to any individual that is entirely their own business. Most Sellers on Ebay are honest in my experience,and are just as worried about being paid as we Buyers are of getting what we paid FOR.

Just wanted to add that a similar thing happened to me once, but with me on the seller end! Sold a pair of jeans (I think that's what it was) about a fortnight before I was due to go overseas. International bidder bought it, there was some messing around with payment and then I was having to leave. I said to the buyer to work it out while I was away and if they'd made payment when I got back I'd send the jeans then.

Didn't have access to email while I was away, got back with a bunch of "reminders" from ebay to pay fees and some very cranky emails from my buyer who'd sent the money. Silly ebay deregistered / suspended me very quickly, unecessarily panicking my buyer.

Everything worked out well in the end - just wanted to offer you some hope it'll all turn out okay!

eBAY is useless at all. I reported the case to dispute console but nothing they can do after 10 days for the seller to response. The only method for u to choose is to close the dispute and leave a negative feedback for the seller. Who cares the negative feedback? the Seller would definitely open another a/c to scam again. It's definitely not a safe place for shopping. I'm fed up now.

Thanks, madamestuff.

I hope it's my case.

Just wanted to add that a similar thing happened to me once, but with me on the seller end! Sold a pair of jeans (I think that's what it was) about a fortnight before I was due to go overseas. International bidder bought it, there was some messing around with payment and then I was having to leave. I said to the buyer to work it out while I was away and if they'd made payment when I got back I'd send the jeans then.

Didn't have access to email while I was away, got back with a bunch of "reminders" from ebay to pay fees and some very cranky emails from my buyer who'd sent the money. Silly ebay deregistered / suspended me very quickly, unecessarily panicking my buyer.

Everything worked out well in the end - just wanted to offer you some hope it'll all turn out okay!

I'm so sorry this happened to you....I learned from a similar experience that once you authorize a wire transfer and something bad happens you are basically unprotected!.....if you authorize it, it is considered a legal transaction...I hope you recover your money....I hate scammers...

This is so sad! Of course, ebay is making money hand-over-fist, and they could care less if someone loses money! I think we should all leave ebay, and find another auction place. The fees are really really high on ebay! Hate it, but I want to sell some nice things, and buy some as well!