Theft in a hotel

or not noticing that you didn't pack $2000 in cash when you were leaving :confused1:

I mean, it sucks to lose that much money, but anyone who would treat that much cash so carelessly clearly has a lot more where that cash came.

This is what I was thinking...
I think I would've noticed right away..

I either use the safe, or hide valuables in a hidden compartment in my suitcase..
or I use the 'do not disturb' and 'supervise' the room being serviced..

I don't think the hotel can do much at this point.

On a recent trip to Mexico my SO's luggage was pilfered through..
we can't find the receipt to the camera that was taken, so we're screwed.
He didn't lock his suitcase..
mine was locked and nothing was taken..:smash:

The maid probably took it, but who knows for sure..
I doubt your friend will be compensated..
lesson learned the hard way..
like my SO..

apparently it was an anniv. gift her hubby gave her while on the trip. they came back to the room drunk out of their minds, she says they packed in such a whirlwhind the next morning and she didnt look through her purse till sometime on the flight..

there was a very expensive diamond bracelet involved. shes hoping police can somehow get a warrant to search her house if they see anything suspicious on surveillance.

Is it possible she "hide" the money elsewhere in her luggage. I always "hide" things and then forget where I put them....also if she got the gift at night and packed it up the next morning, when could the maid have taken it? not at night as I am assuming they packed and checked out the next morning - wouldn't the maid only get access to the room to clean after they left it for check out?

Is it possible she "hide" the money elsewhere in her luggage. I always "hide" things and then forget where I put them....also if she got the gift at night and packed it up the next morning, when could the maid have taken it? not at night as I am assuming they packed and checked out the next morning - wouldn't the maid only get access to the room to clean after they left it for check out?

I think what the OP is saying is that her friend hid the money under the bed, then the night before they left, the friend & hubby came back to their hotel room really drunk and didn't pack the night before. The next morning, in a rush to pack and get home, they didn't notice that the money was missing until they were only the plane. I think...correct me I'm wrong OP.

^ Oh OK, I guess I didn't understand the timeline when she got the anniversity bracelet, sounded like the night they were "celebrating"...

OP - Good luck to your friend, I don't know how she can prove the theft, I can't imagine that police would get involved without proof which it doesn't sound like your friend has, sorry for her loss:sad:

PS - Tell her to check with her insurance company to see if they have coverage for stolen money or a blanket jewellery coverage which may cover the bracelet, something may be covered?

I can't see how a search warrant would be issued for the maid's house. Even if the security cameras (if any) show her entering the room, that's her job. They won't issue a search warrant for her home because she did her job at work. There would have to be a lot more to go on than that. For one thing your 'friend' would have to be able to prove the loss occurred at the hotel and not somewhere else, and based on what's in this thread, I don't see how she could prove that.

The only hope would be that there are other complaints at the same hotel concerning the same maid around the same dates.

Im not understading why you have $2000 cash on you on a vacation? Even if it was an anniversary gift..I couldnt imagine why a husband would just shell out $2K cash. No offense but hiding stuff under the matress is very stupid. Who is going to think to check under the mattress before they leave? I usually look under the bed before I leave to make sure there isnt any shoes under there. Unfortunately I think your friend is SOL. Lesson learned, next time just take the CC and some petty cash.

I work in a hotels and have worked in hotels where stuff has been stolen. There was one incident where a guest had a lot of expensive jewellery stolen from their room because they left it in their room safe which wasnt working. The fact was that they had already been told that the safe didnt work and were advised to store their valuable stuff in the reception safe. The guest pointed fingers at many staff but CCTV showed that it was in fact 2 random men. To be honest I think it was a set up because it was all very coincidental. Ultimately the hotel did their job, they provided a guest with a safe place to store their stuff, they declined and it got stolen, not the hotels problem.

Anyway the point of my story is that the hotel is not liable for anything stolen. Any staff who wants to keep their job wont steal but there are so many members of part time staff who dont care. Its quite possible that it was taken by the housekeeping staff but it can not be proved. A complaint wasnt filed until the guest left the hotel, it would be ridiculous to search one housekeeping staffs house just because she was in the room. There is no proof she took it and no way of knowing it was stolen at all especially where the hotel is concerned.

I always lock my expensive stuff up in the safe or in my suitcase if it is too big to go in the safe and store my suitcase out of sight. I have left change lying around and its never gone missing but you can never be too careful.

Hey, maybe I should switch jobs. :P

I don't think there's anything that can be done that she isn't already doing. I've never lost anything substantial, but I was once staying in my room through the day and the cleaning lady pitched a fit about me being in there. I found something to do and left, and when I came back, the twenty on the dresser that I had stupidly left was gone. I asked the front desk about it and like many of the posters have said, they're lot liable for anything that's not in the safe.

I wish her luck recovering her money - $2000 is a very expensive lesson.

there's nothing you can do now.
many years ago we went to italy and some friend left his money (cash) in his backpack and the money was stolen. i think he didn't even bother to report to the police. it's about 200 USD.

Hey, maybe I should switch jobs. :P

I don't think there's anything that can be done that she isn't already doing. I've never lost anything substantial, but I was once staying in my room through the day and the cleaning lady pitched a fit about me being in there. I found something to do and left, and when I came back, the twenty on the dresser that I had stupidly left was gone. I asked the front desk about it and like many of the posters have said, they're lot liable for anything that's not in the safe.

I wish her luck recovering her money - $2000 is a very expensive lesson.

Maybe the cleaning lady thought it was a tip? Regardless she should've waited until it was given to her.

This is making me a bit paranoid staying in hotels! I'm definitely not going to let valuables lie around in the room!!

I don't see what she can do since she found out well after she checked out of the hotel.

The worse that has happened to me in a hotel theft situation was a maid obviously ate some of my beef jerky that I had on top of my fridge because I looked at the package before I left and it was half full, but when I came back, it was down to almost a third or so. I didn't know how the heck I could prove it and it wasn't a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things, so I put up a a sign "Please do not eat my beef jerky or any other food items." and let it go. Lol. I always put cash that is not in my budget for the day in a safe, but I have been a plastic person all the time even on vacations, so I take very little cash anyway for those rare instances.