The Zebra That Got Away!

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
A few years ago I picked up the Madison North South Tote in Zebra Print 26633 LI BMC at the outlet for $99 (the retail price was $298). I was a little iffy about the bag at first because it is fabric and I prefer leather, and it is animal print and I have never been a fan. To tell the truth I bought it only because the price was so good.

But this has turned out to be one of my favorite bags. It is great for traveling. It is large, versatile, and light-weight and I use it a lot. So I was lucky to find it so cheaply!

Today I had an errand in a mall that includes a Goodwill store so I stopped in to see what they had on hand because I sometimes enjoy rehabbing classic bags. In the "locked case of expensive merchandise" they had the zebra print Madison Convertible Hippie 51086 LI BMC for $24. This is a smaller version of my beloved tote and it originally sold for $178 in the Winter of 2013. The Hippie was absolutely pristine with the tags attached, the cardboard inside, and the Coach care brochure in the pocket. And it was a nice size, larger than a swingpack but smaller than a hobo.

I really would have liked to pick up that hippie for such a cheap price. It would have made a nice companion piece to my tote and another great bag for traveling. But there was a woman ahead of me asking an employee to unlock the case so that she could look at the purses. She immediately focused on the zebra hippie and seemed to fall in love with it on the spot, but she seemed uncertain about buying it so I said "I have that exact same bag in a larger size and I love it".

She eagerly said to me "Can you tell if it is genuine? There are so many fakes out there! " So I examined the bag and everything about it was right. It was easy to recognize as genuine, especially since I already own a bag in this line and pattern, and so I assured her that that it was real.

She looked thrilled and thanked me and then told the GW employee that she would take it. She put it on crossbody and asked me how it looked? I told her truthfully that it looked great.

The "evil twin" in the back of my mind had urged me to plant the seed of doubt in her mind and then swoop in later to buy it for myself! But I have a lot of bags and this lovely lady seemed so happy with her new bag - so I hope that it gives her a lot of joy! And the enabler in me hopes that I've helped another woman to become a Coachie! :yes:

Zebra_Hippie_Ad.jpg

Attachments

• ZebraHippie_51086_libmc_a0.jpg
    ZebraHippie_51086_libmc_a0.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 291
  • ZebrHippie_51086_a8.jpg
    ZebrHippie_51086_a8.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
That's a cute story!

You must be proud, giving "birth" to a new Coachie!

I don't normally like animal prints either, but that zebra print is very nicely done. A nice blend of different neutrals. And fabric is so wonderful for a "kick around" type of bag :smile:

Reactions: katev and K.E.W.
A few years ago I picked up the Madison North South Tote in Zebra Print 26633 LI BMC at the outlet for $99 (the retail price was $298). I was a little iffy about the bag at first because it is fabric and I prefer leather, and it is animal print and I have never been a fan. To tell the truth I bought it only because the price was so good.

But this has turned out to be one of my favorite bags. It is great for traveling. It is large, versatile, and light-weight and I use it a lot. So I was lucky to find it so cheaply!

Today I had an errand in a mall that includes a Goodwill store so I stopped in to see what they had on hand because I sometimes enjoy rehabbing classic bags. In the "locked case of expensive merchandise" they had the zebra print Madison Convertible Hippie 51086 LI BMC for $24. This is a smaller version of my beloved tote and it originally sold for $178 in the Winter of 2013. The Hippie was absolutely pristine with the tags attached, the cardboard inside, and the Coach care brochure in the pocket. And it was a nice size, larger than a swingpack but smaller than a hobo.

I really would have liked to pick up that hippie for such a cheap price. It would have made a nice companion piece to my tote and another great bag for traveling. But there was a woman ahead of me asking an employee to unlock the case so that she could look at the purses. She immediately focused on the zebra hippie and seemed to fall in love with it on the spot, but she seemed uncertain about buying it so I said "I have that exact same bag in a larger size and I love it".

She eagerly said to me "Can you tell if it is genuine? There are so many fakes out there! " So I examined the bag and everything about it was right. It was easy to recognize as genuine, especially since I already own a bag in this line and pattern, and so I assured her that that it was real.

She looked thrilled and thanked me and then told the GW employee that she would take it. She put it on crossbody and asked me how it looked? I told her truthfully that it looked great.

The "evil twin" in the back of my mind had urged me to plant the seed of doubt in her mind and then swoop in later to buy it for myself! But I have a lot of bags and this lovely lady seemed so happy with her new bag - so I hope that it gives her a lot of joy! And the enabler in me hopes that I've helped another woman to become a Coachie! :yes:

View attachment 3734479

That was fun to read! So aside from being a possible future enabler to this woman, you are also a Good Egg, because you put her happiness before your own want of the bag!

Maybe you'll run into her on TPF as she's posting about her great experience today. :tup:

Reactions: katev and Tosa22
That's a cute story! You must be proud, giving "birth" to a new Coachie! I don't normally like animal prints either, but that zebra print is very nicely done. A nice blend of different neutrals. And fabric is so wonderful for a "kick around" type of bag :smile:

That was fun to read! So aside from being a possible future enabler to this woman, you are also a Good Egg, because you put her happiness before your own want of the bag! Maybe you'll run into her on TPF as she's posting about her great experience today. :tup:

Karma will reward you for this nice deed. :tup:

Thank you, but I have been known to fight for the bag that I wanted! One time at the outlet I grabbed the only Paprika Katarina on the shelf a second before a foreign man got his hands on it. We got into an altercation because his wife wanted it and I wouldn't give it up (I still have it!) :graucho:

But the woman today really seemed to love her bargain bag and I was happy for her.

Reactions: K.E.W.
That bag is gorgeous and I don't usually go for animal prints, either! So nice of you to be helpful and encouraging. If everything you put out into the world comes back to you, then you are due for a Goodwill score that's perfect for you [emoji846]

Reactions: katev and Pmrbfay
That bag is gorgeous and I don't usually go for animal prints, either! So nice of you to be helpful and encouraging. If everything you put out into the world comes back to you, then you are due for a Goodwill score that's perfect for you [emoji846]

Thank you! But I recently found a British Tan Classic Willis Bag for $7 at the Goodwill and it rehabbed beautifully, so maybe I was just paying it forward!

Last edited:
Thank you, but I have been known to fight for the bag that I wanted! One time at the outlet I grabbed the only Paprika Katarina on the shelf a second before a foreign man got his hands on it. We got into an altercation because his wife wanted it and I wouldn't give it up (I still have it!) :graucho:

But the woman today really seemed to love her bargain bag and I was happy for her.

It's like the expression "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness"!